Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Symbol Life (413)

I know I gave this episode a lot of crap... And I'm still sour about using Overheat over Blast Burn... But it makes up for that in having a wicked cool battle!

Wasn't Articuno supposedly faking? Or am I mish-mashing that with one of Ash's early pity badges.

Fun Fact: For the longest time (if you consider when this title was released long) I thought today's episode was called "The Symbol of Life"
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

The music that was playing in the background when Charizard was getting up was awesome. Imo this was a lousy battle, and the "last one standing" thing realy wasn't needed. Whatever though. Also, how the hell do Max and May know so much about the Jouto League?
    wow this place really dropped off in activity huh.

They supposedly watched it on TV. Anyways, I didn't really pay attention to this episode, Numero Uno Articuno was more exciting to me. Even though I didn't like either of these episodes.
    My Emerald Team:
    Swampert, Castform, Beautifly, Manectric, Wailord, and Bagon.

Red's PokePet

Patches the level 50 Pachirisu!

Discharge
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Thunder
    Patches is better than you. Get over it!!!

I liked the fact that articuno was in it, as I love articuno. About the battle......I am not too fond of charizard winning, tbh. I wish it lost for once.
    [IMG]http://i1.*******.com/sgmiwk.jpg[/IMG]

-Banner made by Saffire Persian.
    -I've claimed Jynx in the Bishie thread.

pretty impressive battle, although I would have been more impressed if it had better music
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Geki Guest

A pretty decent battle, but not as good as the ones in Hoenn. I liked it mainly because Ash used Charizard, and Charizard is an original Pokemon of Ash's, not to mention one of my favorite Pokemon. I thought that Charizard would use Blast Burn instead of Overheat, but oh well.

10/10

Quote Originally Posted by RandomCharizard
    Also, how the hell do Max and May know so much about the Jouto League?
    In the epiosde when Norman's Vigorath defeats Ash's Pikachu like the first episode we meet Max, Max tells about how he remembers Ash in the top 16 If i recall of the Silver Convention(Johto League).
    I have 3 Swellow's I believe, Swell, Tail and another one forgot that other name lol

Good points:

- Lots of continuity. Brock talks about Liza and the Charicific Valley, Max recalls watching Charizard battle in the Johto League Championships, and Ash takes flight on Charizard, something he could never do before.

- For Ash's first official battle against a legendary Pokemon, he did pretty good! Charizard has gotten a lot stronger, and we can its training in the valley has page off. The new attacks it used were questionable, but overall I don't really mind.

This episode could have used better animation and better music, but it was still pretty good with what we got. Very epic.

- Ash gets the Knowledge symbol, as well as his Frontier case.

- Max says the Battle Arena is close? Really? Is that why it takes you guys 15 more episodes to get there? Ho!

Pretty good episode. Nice battle, cool to see an Articuno and Ash get Charizard back. HOWEVER, like V Faction, I would have preferred Blast Burn over Overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    - Max says the Battle Arena is close? Really? Is that why it takes you guys 15 more episodes to get there? Ho!
    Haha, I noticed that too (actually, I had to look up the exact number on the website u_u).

Maybe they should've saved that little line of dialogue for one of the later facilities, ne?
    V | Faction

I was glad to see Chaizard after 3 years of its absence. After all, there was so much character development between Ash and Charizard. It would almost be like kicking Pikachu off the show. Don't worry we may see Charizard use Blast Burn..... 3 years from now. >_>.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellow
    In the epiosde when Norman's Vigorath defeats Ash's Pikachu like the first episode we meet Max, Max tells about how he remembers Ash in the top 16 If i recall of the Silver Convention(Johto League).
    Ash came in the Top 8 in the Johto League, not the top 16.

Anyways, it was a good episode. It was cool seeing Charizard back and he put up a great battle against Articuno. Charizard learned 2 new attacks which was cool. Ash gets the Knowledge Symbol and a Frontier case. Charizard's first appearence in AG was a good one, IMO.

9/10

IMO, the episode was okay. It lacked something...if I could only think of what it lacked. But at least it wasn't bad. *shudders*

Credit for the image goes to NickelBuckle9, a Gaia Online user

The team pictured above is my in-game team for SoulSilver. =)

^Maybe something a little out of the ordinary? I know a trainer doesn't just have a showdown with a legendary Pokemon every day, but they were throwing attacks out like a standard match. Where's the spice to this bread and butter?

The Blaine battle was on top of a volcano which was nifty. Maybe a change of scenery. Or maybe... Blast Burn! Or Charizard could have gone wild! Or maybe no Team Rocket intrusion? How about having Ash and Noland flying in their air with their Pokemon?
    V | Faction

The part where Charizard skims the wall while being chased by Ice Beam was awesome. This episode's animation was superb, imo.

Damn Overheat...>_> I was expecting Blast Burn!

Well besides pointing out the obvious, this was a pretty good episode. I loved seeing Charizard again (since we haven't seen it since the good old days of Johto). But that's all I can say for this episode.

*pours 40 bottle on the ground*
    Last edited by Medea; 22nd April 2006 at 6:52 PM.

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

This episode was freaking sweat, i didn't like how they ended the battle, or the fact that we got Overheat over Blast Burn, but the fight still rocked, especially the seismic spiral pile driver on Articuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon Prince
    The part where Charizard skims the wall while being chased by Ice Beam was awesome. This episode's animation was superb, imo.
    I'll definately second that opinion. It was an overall tasty, delectable episode, and I enjoyed it fully. =\

» » twin: -Koumori- | bishie: Jasmine (Pokémon) | banner: Kimmi The Awesome™
    » » » » i know that we'll have a ball, if we get down and go out, and just lose it all
    i feel, stressed out, i wanna let it go, let's go way out, spaced out and losing all control

I think the Grand Festival and Hoenn League seriously lowered you people's standards for animation. This was still visually sub-par.

For the record, Max stated in his debut episode that he watched the Silver Conference on TV, which is why he knows so much about Charizard. And Ash has no doubt talked about him during their adventures.

Didn't see what was so special about Overheat, seeing as how Torkoal used it a gazillion times (or at least every one of the few times he appeared). Oh, and WTF is Blast Burn? So shoot me, I've never even heard of that attack.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

You must be Joking right, Blast Burn is the Ultimate Elemental Hyper Beam attack that any of the 2 Fire Starters from Kanto or Johto can learn. Johto via at least Pokemon XD Winning Mt. Battle and Kanto in FireRed/LeafGreen on 2 Island.
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by Swellow; 22nd April 2006 at 7:45 PM.
    I have 3 Swellow's I believe, Swell, Tail and another one forgot that other name lol

Blast Burn is an attack only learned by Charizard in FR/LG (and Cyndaquil if you recieve it in XD) It's essentially a Fire-type Hyper Beam.

On to the episode, I enjoyed it quite a bit! The battle was very exciting (even though I knew the outcome long in advance) and seeing Articuno battling was entertaining as well. I must agree, however, that something was missing from this episode. I can't place what, but for having a legendary battle it seemed a little on the normal side....

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by Booncy
    Hello.......have the writers totally forgotten about the Orange league episode "Charziard Chills" where Charizard got frozen by that trainer's Poliwrath's ice beam attack, and Ash and co. spent half the episode trying to thaw him out!
    It's been trained a lot since then, however. Its body can likely withstand a cold attack much more effectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellow
    You must be Joking right, Blast Burn is the Ultimate Elemental Hyber Beam attack that any of the 2 Fire Starters from Kanto or Johto can learn. Johto via at least Pokemon XD Winning Mt. Battle and Kanto in FireRed/LeafGreen on 2 Island.
    A) Not joking
    B) Never played XD
    C) Never played FR/LG
    D) I haven't used a fire-type since Silver (Typhlosion), and this attack was obviously not available then.
    E) I couldn't really obtain those two starters in Sapphire without FR/LG.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

I thought it was stupid how Articuno kept shooting out it's ice beam attack on Charizard and it didn't even look like it fazed him in the slightest bit. Then someone from Ash's cheer group (either Brock, May, Max, or Scott) mentioned that Articuno's ice beam wasen't effective against Charizard because he's a fire-type?

Hello.......have the writers totally forgotten about the Orange league episode "Charziard Chills" where Charizard got frozen by that trainer's Poliwrath's ice beam attack, and Ash and co. spent half the episode trying to thaw him out!
    That was a special case. It didn't hurt Charizard that much but it was frozen solid, ending the battle. Also, they shouldn't forget that fact that Charizard is part flying.

This was a great episode. Charizard cannot learn Dragonbreath, but hey, at least it's got another cool move (I like the move because of its paralyzing effect in the games). The battle between Charizard and Articuno was awesome. It was cool to see Mist and Charizard using Overheat. Just a couple of questions.

1) I noticed whenever an Ice Beam is used, it instantly freezes a target. In the games, there's only a measely 10% chance of freezing the opponent. What's up with that?

2) Does anyone know where to find the thread for the special "Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon"?

Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun
    I think the Grand Festival and Hoenn League seriously lowered you people's standards for animation. This was still visually sub-par.
    Agreed. I suppose that for an episode directed by Takeda it was good, but that ain't saying much. But to say the animation was anything above average is quite frankly, laughable.

But then again, I've seen people praising the freaking second half of the Gro/Kyo double bill for it's animation, so whatever...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast