I've had too many people asking me how to download apprentice, and I'm tired of diverting them to links that people say don't wok. The following is copied from Venusaur at the Pokegym, but some of his post was copied from www.pojo.com/pokemon
STEPS FOR DOWNLOADING APPRENTICE
Caution: Some cards may have no text if you play an opponent with DarkLordSigma's patch, because DarkLordSigma's patch has different names for some cards.
Go to http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php and download apprentice.
After that download the pokemon patch, this replaces the magic cards with pokemon cards. the pokemon patch is at this site:
Now here are the steps to fully downloading it.
Step 1 - Install Apprentice. Double click on the mushroom-like icon, and follow the Installation Wizard.
Step 3 - Open the patch file from where you downloaded it to. You will need a program that can open .zip files, such as Winzip. This method works best in Classic. Through Classic, hit the open icon, a folder with an arrow coming out. 6 Files should appear, 5 of which are .dat files, the other being a .txt readme file.
Step 4 - Hit the Extract icon in Winzip, on the same bar as the Open tool. A pop up should appear, with a few options inside. First is the extract option. In the larger window, find the folder named Apprentice, This is most commonly found in My Computer, then the C:/ drive.
Step 5 - Select "All files". Select "Overwrite existing files," and hit the extract button in the upper left hand corner of the pop up.
Step 6 - Open the Apprentice folder, in the directory you found it last time. Drag Cardinfo.dat into the subfolder Sets, and overwrite the old one.
Step 7 - Open up Appr.exe, the little star icon, and get ready for some playing.
There are many terms in Apprentice that are meant for Magic: The Gathering. I'll define the most important ones for you:
1. Library = Deck
2. Graveyard = Discard Pile
3. Hand = Hand (duh!)
Here are the basics for playing a game, these are also the same basics I use when playing a game online with someone:
1. First go to File and scroll down to "Deck Editor" click on this.
2. It will show two columns, one that has all the cards, and one for your deck.
3. To add a card to your deck click on it and click the add button. (Remember only 60 cards per deck!) You can even type in the name of your deck.
4. After you're down with creating it, click on the red disk icon to save your deck.
5. Now that you have your deck, I'll talk about the other things.
1. There are two ways to play "Solitaire" or "Connect via the Internet". Solitaire is to play by yourself and to get a feel for the program. Connect via the Internet is to play against someone on the net. Who knows? You could be playing someone halfway across the world!
2. Go to file and select new game.
3. Your deck will be shown as well as a bunch of options. Where it says starting life change it from 20 to 0. You don't really need this. On "starting hand" set the number to 7.
4. When you start playing you will have 7 cards automatically drawn for you. If you have a basic Pokémon you can put it face down on the table. To do this hold SHIFT and click on the card you want to put down. This will place the card face down on the table. If you don't want to place a card face down just drag it out to the table normally.
5. After each player's turn you must right click on the table and select the option "End your turn". This will end your turn and give the other player control. At the bottom of the screen it shows who's turn it is.
6. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention. You probably noticed the chat box at the bottom. Here you can chat with your opponent and view what is happening in the game. WHAT IS THAT!? Your name is SCRUB??? Well, don't worry you can change this, LOL. At the top go to "Options" and then select "Set Name", here you can type your nickname.
Now I'm going to describe some of the controls:
1. To flip a coin just press CONTROL + F.
2. If you play Prof. Oak for example and you want to discard your hand, go to the top and find actions, and select "hand" then select "move hand to graveyard" and you will discard your hand!
3. If you get damaged, right click on your card an select "add a damage counter", simple huh?
4. When you play trainers, need to discard energy, or your Pokémon is knocked out, simply right click on the card you want to discard, and select "bury" and you will discard it. If you use Item Finder and want a card back from your Discard pile (Graveyard) select the Graveyard icon and drag the card from the Graveyard to your hand.
Last but not least.......
HOW DO U PLAY ON THE INTERNET??!?!?!?
CALM DOWN!!! Here's how:
1. Go to "File".
2. Select "New Game.
3. Make sure you have your deck and instead of checking off "Solitaire" check off the circle next to "Connect via the Internet".
4. A pop-up box will appear and it will ask for your opponent's IP number. On the bottom of the box is your IP number, if you want to play against someone just ask them their IP number and type it in. Then click "ok". The person who is getting called by YOU checks off "Waiting for call" and clicks "ok". You should be playing in no time!!! Enjoy!!
There you go, all you need to know. If anybody has any further questions, post them here.