Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hooked on Onix (414)

This episode gets the award for WORST DUB TITLE.

From Generation-X.

^ I know.. Why they would base it off of "Hooked on Phonics" is beyond me. These puns are just plain idiocy.
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

Geki Guest

Not my favorite filler, but it's OK nonetheless. At the beginning Ash is complaining about how he's so thirsty, so can't Corphish and Squirtle act like a water fountain? Squirtle's face was priceless when it ran into the first Beedrilll. I can't believe Max slept through all that battling between Corphish and Squirtle. I think this is the first episode ever that Team Rocket didn't use a disquise, seriously. For some reason I can imagine James with a Golem, it seems to suit his personality in a way. The battle between Grovyle and Onix was cool, but it was kind of weird that they had to battle Onix in order for it to believe them. Why the hell would Ash use Quick Attack on a rock type?

6/10

Actually, the title card said "Hooked on Onyx"

Is it just me or did I really hear James said. something about running like a Lucario?

This was a pretty good episode. It actually made up for the bad aftertaste of last week's awful special. Anyways, I thought the part with all the pokemon battling each other in the beginning was sort of funny. As well as Phanpy and Squirtle's encounter with the Beedrill. It was cool to see that Phanpy knows Hidden Power.

"and run like a raikou!" is what I heard. 5/10 for horrible puns, Onix mispelling and for the voices, THEY SUCKED >:0 SONVA!... >.> I really didn't like this filler , I just didnt like it.
    wow this place really dropped off in activity huh.

They mispronounced Raikou per usual, thats like a given now.

I did realize how much better the usual voices are then the new ones, I took them for granite.....BWAHAHA! PUN!

This episode was to showcase all the old Kanto Rock Pokemon, huh? With Steelix recently shown in the Hoenn league, as well as Onix, Geodude, Graveler, and Golem here, they showcased both lines in their entirety recently.

Am I the only one who finds May's Squirtle kind of cute? Generally, May gets girl versions of Ash's Pokemon, (her Bulbasaur and her Squirtle), but its voice is also kind of cute.

Grovyle Vs. Onix was the highlight of the episode, as short as it was. I wonder, when PUSA gets the show, will Team Rocket still say as many puns as 4kids made them say?

8 years dubbing and this is the SECOND time they've misspelled Onix? And the bajillionth time they've mispronounced Raikou. Brilliant!
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

4Kid dubbing at its worst (even though there were no rice balls to edit into sandwiches). Though it was refreshing to hear old voices again. Back to the episode....it was a Team Rocket trick we have seen millions of times before. Though that Grovyle vs. Onix fight was awesome.

It was ok, but it could have been better.
    Title is stupid.
    overall 6/10
    Favorite part: When Ash slithered down the mountain, like he had no bones.
    Thats funny.
    "That Onix is at a high lv!"
    I doubt that. If Grovyle defeated a KING so easily, then I doubt that it was high leveled.
    ...Yo.

Not much to say about me, except that I'm back after being gone for a long time, and no one knows who I am. xD

Hoping to get back into serebii forums, yayz

Why is everyone complaining all of a sudden about editing? I didn't see like anything edited, and Team Rocket didn't use more puns then usual (I liked their puns kinda, especially the ones at the end.)

Check my avatar. XD

I doubt that. If Grovyle defeated a KING so easily, then I doubt that it was high leveled.
    Grovyle had an enormous type advantage. Besides, Grovyle is at a high level as well.

this episode was ok! I didnt like how team rocket still always ruins everything

M'kay, Aside from the fact that I kissed my TV when I heard Veronica Taylors voice coming out of Ash's lips...I guess this was just a so-so episode..>_>

The mispelling of Onix made me a bid...edgy and Whoo they mispronounced Raikou, big surprise.

The story was just your general pokemon gets seperated by trainers and need to survive against the wild bullies...Whoo.

Overall 6/10...Meh
    Watch out kids...He's coming for you!

Hmm...Hooked on Onyx?

Well, I've seen stranger things (not surprising that it happened close to the anniversary of the you-know-what). Well, I didn't really fancy this episode too much. Okay I better stop beating around the bush, it just sucked. But good for me to hear my glorious voices (for the time being).

Disclaimer: If anyone would like to quote me on the voices and say something negative, Medea says to go suck a lemon.

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

SpacemanSpiff Guest

Well at least I got the Trainers Choice right...

Quote Originally Posted by pharaohguy530
    It was ok, but it could have been better.
    Title is stupid.
    overall 6/10
    Favorite part: When Ash slithered down the mountain, like he had no bones.
    Thats funny.
    I wonder why the dubbers didn't say "that Onix is strong" or "Don't use physical attacks against its high defense."

Also apparently when you aim at its head it's more effective. Like a flamethrower on a steelix, onix doesn't get "as" effected by a grass or water attack if it doesn't hit their head (example: blocking an attack with their tail)

The strongest Onix we've seen is that oversized one that had a Sandslash stuck in it that Bruno caught anyways.

I kind of liked the "different" rollout that the Geodude had. Or rather, it was less expected because it already had a spherical version.

Been a while since I last saw a Graveler (or maybe I missed a lot of airings of it). Golem must have been a minion for its smaller size, because technically it's rather strong.

And this morning I was expecting the new VAs since I missed last week.

I don't think May gets girl versions of Ash's pokemon, but rather baby versions. Nice CGI, but very bad accuracy. Apparently lazy pokemon have insanely good dodging ability.

An interesting thing about the Onyx spelling is that Phonix doesn't use a y.

Cant believe they mispelt Onix. Do you think 4Kids is messing up the anime on purpose?? Be funny if they did. Anyway i liked this filler mainly cause Onix is one of my favorite pokemon. Seeing Graveler and Golem again was cool too. I would have liked more reaction out of Brock since he came across two pokemon he has had. Having a flash back of him giving them to his little bro would have been cool or something. I liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle. When Grovyle used its Quick Attack i was like that was stupid. Squirtle is kinda cute, its voice could use some work but eh. It was totally cute hitting Phanpy after Phanpy picked it up to get away from the Beedrill. Do they dub Beedrill's voice? It kinda sounds like Spear since they just say "Sppp". Ok and question bout Raikou, how is it supposed to be pronounced? I say Rye-Koh or Rye-Koo sometimes. The one thing i liked bout Pokemon Stadium 2 is they announced pokemon names and i think they said Rye-Koh on there. They also say Lar-Vih-Tar instead of Lar-Vay-Tar like the anime. I like the Vih better. Anyway thats off topic. Cool ep.

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

Quote Originally Posted by RaikousThunder
    Cant believe they mispelt Onix. Do you think 4Kids is messing up the anime on purpose?? I liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle. When Grovyle used its Quick Attack i was like that was stupid. Squirtle is kinda cute, its voice could use some work but eh. It was totally cute hitting Phanpy after Phanpy picked it up to get away from the Beedrill. Do they dub Beedrill's voice? It kinda sounds like Spear since they just say "Sppp".
    Something tells me that "Onyx" is actually their name reference, meaning that it's possible that it's not a misspelling, but rather that's how they spell it (sort of like the improper pronounciation of Raikou. THEY pronounce it wrong BUT that IS how THEY pronounce it). It's like there's a japanese pronounciation, an english pronounciation, a chronicles pronounciation, and a dub pronounciation. So similar to the Raikou mispronounciation, the Onyx misspelling might actually be their particular spelling. In terms of being incorrect, it is, but at the same time they're rather consistent with it.

Grovyle's Quick Attack is considered a "counter attack manoeuvre". You dodge the Iron Tail and come back with a quick attack. Theoretically it's not strategically stupid aside from the simple fact that Onix is known for defense. However, for that same reason, Leaf Blade could have been used, I suppose (I mean you jump and then use Leaf Blade)

It doesn't seem like that Beedrill's voice is dubbed. The japanese name is spear, and it sounds exactly the same. I believe it's retained. (If I recall, they used to just have the swarm do a typical bee sound, but this one clearly had the japanese voice sound of Spear.)

I thought this episode was pretty good, made up for the special last week. I really liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle, nice. Maybe Onix is spelled Onyx or that's how they thought it was spelled. I dunno about the Onyx/Onix thing.

Quote Originally Posted by S_P
    Something tells me that "Onyx" is actually their name reference, meaning that it's possible that it's not a misspelling, but rather that's how they spell it (sort of like the improper pronounciation of Raikou. THEY pronounce it wrong BUT that IS how THEY pronounce it). It's like there's a japanese pronounciation, an english pronounciation, a chronicles pronounciation, and a dub pronounciation. So similar to the Raikou mispronounciation, the Onyx misspelling might actually be their particular spelling. In terms of being incorrect, it is, but at the same time they're rather consistent with it.
    I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull. They KNEW it was spelled Onix and have spelled it that way before, especially during the PokeRap. It's simply a case of them usually bungling up things they don't remember.

Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou. You'd figure it wouldn't kill them to ask Nintendo or something. o_O
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

This episode was okay. Onix isn't one of my favourite's though.
    Anime Bishie: Dorapion
    Clamied Ships
    Wes X Rui - Pokemon Collosseum
    Ron X Yori - Kim Possible

Quote Originally Posted by Geki
    At the beginning Ash is complaining about how he's so thirsty, so can't Corphish and Squirtle act like a water fountain?
    That's what I was wondering. Water Gun attacks seem to spontaneously generate water with no apparent limits, so why not just have Mudkip and Squirtle refill their canteens?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast