Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hooked on Onix (414)

Are we supposed to use that as our wallpaper to rant about the stupidity of 4kids?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Are we supposed to use that as our wallpaper to rant about the stupidity of 4kids?
    I dont care what the hell you do with it. I was just posting it for people to see that havent seen the episode yet.

I'll print it out and use it as toilet paper then, thanks for the broad range of options you gave me.

Did this episode air on KidsWB? I couldn't find it on my saved programs list...

From Generation-X.

Yes it aired on KidsWB. Cybercube, if you have nothing constructive to post, don't post.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou.
    You mean like "croup," "soup," "you," "through," and "route"? Just saying. At least they didn't say "rai-cow," "rai-kuh," or "rai-caw," eh?

What really bothers me about it is that I keep thinking that I've heard them pronounce it correctly before. But I don't even remember when that happened, or if it even actually did....
    Last edited by Kthleen; 7th May 2006 at 1:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen
    What really bothers me about it is that I keep thinking that I've heard them pronounce it correctly before. But I don't even remember when that happened, or if it even actually did....
    They have, in the episode 'For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll'. Morty and Eusine were, if I remember correctly, informing the trio of the legend behind Ho-oh and the three beasts. Granted, I'm not sure which of the two characters said the name, but it was definatly the right pronounciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen
    I believe Meowth pronounced it correctly in the Johto League Silver Conference, after James drew that "Raikou Lightning" thing, or something like that.

Anyway, this episode wasn't too special to me. Cool to see Onix again, though.

Squirtle/Phanpy character development.

And... yeah. 7/10.

I found it funny when Meowth said "We're a genius" xP

Quote Originally Posted by S_P
    Something tells me that "Onyx" is actually their name reference, meaning that it's possible that it's not a misspelling, but rather that's how they spell it (sort of like the improper pronounciation of Raikou. THEY pronounce it wrong BUT that IS how THEY pronounce it). It's like there's a japanese pronounciation, an english pronounciation, a chronicles pronounciation, and a dub pronounciation. So similar to the Raikou mispronounciation, the Onyx misspelling might actually be their particular spelling. In terms of being incorrect, it is, but at the same time they're rather consistent with it.

Grovyle's Quick Attack is considered a "counter attack manoeuvre". You dodge the Iron Tail and come back with a quick attack. Theoretically it's not strategically stupid aside from the simple fact that Onix is known for defense. However, for that same reason, Leaf Blade could have been used, I suppose (I mean you jump and then use Leaf Blade)

It doesn't seem like that Beedrill's voice is dubbed. The japanese name is spear, and it sounds exactly the same. I believe it's retained. (If I recall, they used to just have the swarm do a typical bee sound, but this one clearly had the japanese voice sound of Spear.)
    What i meant about Quick Attack being stupid was Grovyle banging his head of all things into a giant, living rock snake. Using Quick Attack to dodge is good but dont go slamming heads into boulders. Grovyle and Ash have been around long enough to know that but this is the anime and sometimes or most times they forget important stuff like water conducts electricity and Ground types resist Electric not Rock.

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

Thank God for hearing the old voices again....seriously.
    It was cool to see Onix again and was it just me or did it seem a lot cooler looking than usual? Must be my imagination. :P
    Phanpy and Squirtle's faces when the Beedrill appear were priceless. I'm glad Phanpy is back.
    Speaking of Beedrill, it's been so long since we've seen them. *sarcasm*
    Am I the only one who thinks Squirtle is a boy?
    Ugh No comment on Onyx.
    I missed James' comment about Raikou, but I pronounce it Rye-Koo. It sounds right to me.
    Poor Golem and Graveler got shafted again.
    Meowth referred to Ash by name. Very unusual.
    Grovyle was great in battle. Of course I'd be surprised if it lost to a Pokemon it is 4x strong against.
    I give it a 6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull. They KNEW it was spelled Onix and have spelled it that way before, especially during the PokeRap. It's simply a case of them usually bungling up things they don't remember.

Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou. You'd figure it wouldn't kill them to ask Nintendo or something. o_O
    Well the pokerap do they type the name in or do they just implement it?

Because last time I saw THAT pokerap was about eight years ago.

I made a mistae by saying it must have been standard. Your statement of them bungling up things they don't remember is definitely something I'll agree with. I guess I meant to say if they have a misspelling as the new definition from forgetting the old, then it indirectly becomes the standard.

And I don't think they've had a need to actually spell onix in a long, long, long time. When was the last time you actually SAW the word aside from the pokerap? The pokerap is unbelievably old.

A stupid mistake indeed, but at the same time, aside from the pokerap, there almost never had been a need to spell it.

I suppose you could say the cards spell it correctly. Sure it's not the same company but that's another way of text. However, card production has nothing to do with dubbing.

Yeah I know banging the head with Quick Attack is stupid, but the anime has already had a fair share of things like that (um like Pikachu's Iron Tail crashing into a much bigger Iron Tail). I'm ONLY guessing that it was a "showcase of Onix's physical defense". Maybe it lead to an attack simply because it's an attack, even though it was one of the best evasive manoeuvres. Though that can be countered by saying ... "dodge it and use Bullet Seed!" or something.

I guess there is no reasonable way to really accept the really bad mistakes. xP However, apparently physical attacks have been usable on high defense pokemon (say, tackling a Skarmory).

Maybe Quick Attack was there to not make it completely one sided. I don't know, that Onix wasn't that strong.

Oh well, I can't say Onyx was a variation since Phonix has no y.

I mean who knows, maybe it was deliberate. Take the literal definition of Onyx. Isn't that basically what an Onix is? >_> It's a chalcedony, is it not? I mean you could be "hooked on chalcedony, or translucent grayish quartz arranged in slender fibers in parallel bands). Though clearly due to puns, it meant to refer to Onix. Again if they didn't have the need to spell Onix for like eight years or so, then using the actual word as an accidental misspelling if the pokemon name was forgotten doesn't seem too bad, actually.

But this makes me curious to if they actually meant to refer to chalcedony.

Closed Captioning. They generally have to submit a script necessary to be typed up to appear on screen when the CC appears on screen. Doesn't help that this isn't the first typo in a good while. I believe there's been about four typos in the AG series all together in the dub (Girafarig's "tale" rather than tail, Onix being misspelled twice and "Loose" being used in a title when the word "lose" is being said).

Onix is basically supposed to be a pun off the word "onyx." That's the whole reason they put an I in the Pokemon's name. :|[/SIZE]
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Ok all you master linguists...how is "Raikou" pronounced phonetically?

Ok..that aside, I liked this episode a lot more knowing the old crew did this after last week's.................experience. Can Phanpy's and Squirtle's reaction to the Beedrill swarm be made into avatars please? I was so glad to see those again. hehe
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

R + Eye + K + Oh = Raikou. How's that? :P

As for avatars, maybe. Joe STILL hasn't fawkin' uploaded the batch I sent him last week. :\
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

waregreymon Guest

The episode of hooked on onyx was allright. I wish for once team rocket won. Why do the bad guys never wins.Evil never prevails. It was funny how pikachu was riding on the back of phanphy.
    Last edited by Chris; 8th May 2006 at 7:27 AM.

You spelled Onix wrong
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Well, I finally saw this episode, which I put off because I've got to watch the episodes in order and it took me almost three weeks to watch the Mirage special.

I have to say, I liked this episode. It was a Team Rocket-centered episode, which is a plus for me. It had Corphish copping 'tude, which is a plus for me (and seeing Squirtle fight with him was fun to watch). It had a namedrop, which is a BIG plus for me (when was the last time Meowth called Ash by name anyway?). Brock was pretty funny as well. And the bearded Ash image- too funny for words. Jessie got off some good lines in the episode too.

Overall, 8/10. Now I've still got to watch last Saturday's Jigglypuff episode yet.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14 NEW!! 10/18 NEW!! 10/19 NEW!! 10/22
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Well, just like with "Choose it or Lose It!" either 4kids, Cartoon Network, or PUSA went in and edited the title screen to change it from "Hooked on Onyx" to "Hooked on Onix"

The writers took quite a few liberties in this episode...

1. Why did they need to find a river when they had a Mudkip that could use water gun RIGHT THERE?
    2. Why did Pikachu and Corphish run from 3 Geodude? Pikachu fried Brock's back in Kanto, and Corphish can use Bubblebeam, which is super effective.
    3. If Pikachu and Corphish couldn't fight 3 Geodude, how could they fight a whole swarm of Beedril?
    4. Why was the whole group scared of the Graveler and Golem? Sure, they look big, but Corphish knows Bubblebeam, Squirtle knows Bubble, and Munchlax knows Solar Beam. All super effective attacks! Plus, Pikachu fried a Geodude back in Kanto, so why couldn't it battle a few Graveler or Golem and do the same thing, 400 episodes later?

Credit to Mimiori Kiryu for the SONVA banner.

I claimed Midna as my bishie in the bishie thread.

It's a good episode it's certainly nice that they didn't concentrate to much on Ash and the gang in this episode and focused more on their Pokemon and the wild Pokemon. I think it would have been better for Brock to be the hero in this episode since he has a closer relationship with Rock Pokemon.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill

Good episode. I like how it was focused on Pokemon a lot more then the trainers. But Phanpy, Grovyle, and Corphish should have took care of that Onix :/

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

Nice episode. Laughed at the bearded Ash and Meowth's description of the "evil twerps". The Onix was fairly strong. Team Rocket were doing well in this episode, until Ash found out where they were. Funny Pokemon antics as well.

it was an exciting episode with the onix and how it was more focussed on the pokemon insdtead of the trainers.

Nice episodes whats really into the Onix...i like it
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast