Thread: Unpopular Opinions About Anime and Manga

Default Unpopular Opinions About Anime and Manga

As the title says, this is a thread to basically get something off of your chest about anything in anime and/or manga. Do feel free to disagree, but please keep it civil.

I'll start off:

- The hate toward CGI in anime is unfair since technology is ubiquitous and always updating, and thus it makes sense that 3D/CG is being utilized more and more, even for TV. Just because it's been "stigmatized" by Western cartoons doesn't mean Japanese animation can't transition mediums. I do feel there's still a ways to go until CG in anime looks better than it does right now (and I think tight animation schedules, part-time freelance animators, use of motion capture, and little personal computer usage in Japan in general plays huge parts in it), although I will always go out of my way to say Winter 2016 had some of the best CG in TV anime so far.

- Although I don't mind the moe art-style (and I admire some beautiful character designs that have come from it), I do believe there's too much moe in the market right now simply because otaku seem to really like cute, big-eyed girls--which could also explain why it's popular in ecchi as it gets sexualized easily. That's creepy if you ask me.

- I prefer the 2003 anime of Fullmetal Alchemist over Brotherhood for its dark atmosphere and that it handled some emotional scenes better (as in it gave us time to like the characters before horrible things happened to them--Brotherhood kind of breezed through them because that's what the manga also did. I also prefer most of the Homunculi in the 2003 anime compared to their original counterparts, and I like the anime-only villain a little better). Don't get me wrong, Brotherhood was able to do things that the original anime couldn't do, but it also didn't hit some marks that the original did. I also admire how Bones was able to make an anime-original ending that worked, something that's been harder to come by in recent years. It's definitely one of the most bittersweet anime (the TV series and the sequel movie) I've ever watched, and I'm a little sad that it took me so long to finally watch it.

- When it comes to the (frankly stupid) subs v. dubs debacle, I always think back to Digimon as I still have a personal preference for the English dub, although I'm still glad I learned more about the original characterizations and script. It's probably most likely the nostalgia talking since I get the feeling of meeting up with old friends when I watch it, but something about how the characters were written in the dub resonates pretty well with me. I dunno, I guess I'm just a sucker for cheesy and snarky dialogue even though they were being toned down by the time the Myotismon arc rolled around.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

I honestly didn't mind 4Kids censorship. It was hilarious to see what a train wreck it really was.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

I genuinely liked Psycho-Pass 2.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 20: The Weight of the World (Part 2)
    Next: Father

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

I kind of prefer it when dubbed anime takes liberties with the translation instead of directly translating everything from Japanese. I know back in the day fans used to complain about every little deviation from the source material and I get that; even small changes in a line can alter the context or the characterisation. These days companies seem to be trying to appeal to the fans and are being more faithful to the original Japanese; see the difference between Dragonball Z and Dragonball Z Kai.

The problem I have is direct translations from Japanese don't always work in English, especially where jokes are concerned. This is something I've noticed watching the dub of One Punch Man, which has a pretty faithful translation; it's meant to be a comedy series, but a lot of the jokes in English just aren't funny. There are some cases where lines just sound awkward coming out of English voice actors, other times when they have to struggle around translating Japanese puns and turn-of-phrases into English, with mixed results. I think current dub writers should go back to the old playbook of Samurai Pizza Cats or the first two series' of Digimon: not that those dubs were crammed full of jokes, but that they were crammed full of Western-style jokes. And those are funnier than American actors making bad Japanese puns.
    3DS Friend Code: 3265-6486-6600. We're all mates, right?

I hate One Punch Man. I think it's boring and weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I feel like I'm the only person here who enjoyed Tamako Market and Charlotte.
    I thought Charlotte was amazing. Tamako Market on the other hand...

When it comes to the subs vs dubs debate, I really don't care either way. Sure, majority of the anime I watch is subbed, but there's a handful and a half of anime I've exclusively watched dubbed, while others I've watched both of. Maybe a lot of it depends on which I watch first, since those voices end up being my default voices, but I can switch between the two easily with no complaint.

I actually liked 4Kids. The censoring didn't bother me as a kid (probably cause i never noticed), and seeing them now fills me with nostalgia and giggles.

Berserk (2016)'s CG is cool. I personally havent sat down to watch it, but i see scenes from time to time when my roommate watches it. It makes me want to start Berserk just to see the 2016 version.

The main girl in a harem is never the best girl.

Evangelion is garbage.
    Last edited by Xionea; 7th September 2016 at 7:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xionea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I feel like I'm the only person here who enjoyed Tamako Market and Charlotte.
    I thought Charlotte was amazing. Tamako Market on the other hand...
    I still gotta watch Tamako Market, but Charlotte was an enjoyable watch, there's no doubt about it. I personally just felt insulted by the last third of the show because it had such an interesting premise before falling flat on its face. It really and truly needed to be two-cour, but I think Jun Maeda is too accustomed to visual novels that he can't seem to write a story short enough to fit a one-cour series.

Speaking of Key, the Planetarium anime adaptation was okay. I don't see what was great or impressive about it despite people saying the visual novel was great. Maybe the movie will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxuba View Post
    I hate One Punch Man. I think it's boring and weird.
    I didn't think it was all that funny. It was the best show of the Fall 2015 line-up (doesn't say much, though, because Fall 2015 sucked), but it wasn't that great like the fanboys made it out to be. I found My Hero Academia to be better, but even I still got bored of the series near the end. This could be all on me since I'm not a fan of superheroes anyway (haven't watched a movie since The Dark Knight--not counting older films), but while they were fresh concepts for anime, I wasn't into them.

Honestly, unless I was on the hype train from the very beginning, I tend to not like popular anime, or at least not by the end of the season. Your Lie in April and Erased are two big ones for me that everyone loved, but I ended up not liking by the end. Probably because A-1 Pictures can't seem to do adaptations for the life of them, but maybe the actual source material was just that poor. I kinda want to give them the benefit of the doubt, buuuut after seeing it happen with Sailor Moon Crystal in how it was (according to fans) literally a panel-by-panel animated adaptation, my guess is maybe the definitions of "adaptation" and "creative liberties" is being lost.

Oh, and after seeing Baccano! and am currently watching 91 Days, I prefer the latter over the former by a long-shot. Baccano! started to bore me after a while (and I binged it), but 91's been keeping things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I honestly didn't mind 4Kids censorship. It was hilarious to see what a train wreck it really was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xionea View Post
    I actually liked 4Kids. The censoring didn't bother me as a kid (probably cause i never noticed), and seeing them now fills me with nostalgia and giggles.
    I kinda get the hate for 4KIDS, but it was thanks to them that anime got introduced to a new generation, especially for those of us without cable. I've noticed they got worse as time went on, like it really came to a head by the time they got One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew, but they were otherwise fine back in the early-00s. (Also, how else are people going to watch Fighting Foodons? I can't find subs anywhere, so their dub's the only way to watch it.) I've been watching Ultimate Muscle, and it's hilarious, so they definitely had a lot of potential at the time. But there's some narm charm with their dubs that I can't help loving the heck out of. During my rewatch of Pokémon, I think I can say with absolute certainty the Johto saga had some of the funniest moments of the show when it came to the dub.

Meanwhile, all that hate's been going to Saban in recent years, which saddens me, too (although I was told this is more-or-less because the founder went into politics in 2002 and had bought out the Center for Near East Policy?). Saban did similar things, but they still had their own touch to their dubs that 4KIDS didn't do, and I've enjoyed them. I think Saban was one-of-a-kind at the time for they were able to bring in anime within months of their first broadcast in Japan (at least with Digimon and I think also Samurai Pizza Cats, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were on top of things at the time).
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

This discussion looks like a 4chan thread. Yikes.

My unpopular opinion is that I'm a much bigger fan of the original FMA anime than I am of FMA: Brotherhood. The latter just didn't click for me.

Angel Beats was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
    You should all totally join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League. Message me if you have any questions.

| PASBL | WF |

DBGT isnt as bad as people make it out to be. Plus the ending was better then that of Z

Quote Originally Posted by datdimfb View Post
    My unpopular opinion is that I'm a much bigger fan of the original FMA anime than I am of FMA: Brotherhood. The latter just didn't click for me.
    I actually feel similarly cuz I watched Fullmetal Alchemist before Brotherhood, so I got used to the plot of the former. I like Brotherhood too tho, just not as much hee hee. As for my unpopular anime opinion, I prefer the dubbed versions of all seasons of Digimon over the Japanese versions. ^^;

I don't like how manga is always monochrome. I also am saddened when my favorite series like Hunter X Hunter are delayed to the point where I don't know if I'll ever see the end.

I don't get how anime can always be beautiful and in full color but manga usually lack luster. Does manga not make nearly as much profit as anime? I don't get why they don't just hire a bunch of extra assistants and artists for the more popular ones either.

Alright, I watched Kimi no Na wa., and I definitely have what could be considered an unpopular opinion. Without going into spoilers, I liked the idea, but I have problems with the execution, mainly in the first act, which confused me more often than not to the point I wasn't sure if I was really going to like the main leads by the end. (I kind of do, but they're just "normal" people.) I think the (obligatory) plot-twist either came too soon or changed the tone of the movie too much (if not both). After that happened, it was still easy to make guesses as to what would happen whether it was on point or not. Even then, something was still missing that I just wasn't "wow"ed by anything. Also you don't need to have songs playing during emotional moments, especially from the same damn band. Instrumental music is fine, this isn't 5 Centimeters Per Second.

Speaking of, the entire movie felt like it was trying to fix the "problems" people had with that film. Which, whatever, so Makoto Shinkai wanted to break the status quo--but that doesn't necessarily mean he should. Just saying. Either way, this isn't a "10 outta 10!!1!" movie. People are just so easily entertained by pretty art and animation.

Then again, I'm probably just that spoiled from Kubo and the Two Strings that any and all animated movies that come out this year are already "ruined" because they'll never be as visually stunning and impressive as that movie.

-I actually like the 4Kids dub of One Piece. (Don't hate me) I prefer it over the other versions. I just find the changes and jokes in the dub to be very amusing and funny and as a result I have an easier time watching the 4Kids version. I like shows that don't take themselves too seriously which is why I enjoyed it. It's the same reason I enjoy Teen Titans Go as well. IMO several shows & movies considered bad can actually be funny to watch.

-I enjoyed the Best Wishes saga of Pokémon. I actually liked several episodes from that saga. Honestly I don't think its too bad as a whole.

-I think Sonic X is a good anime.