Thread: What does a show need to have in order to be considered an anime?

Default What does a show need to have in order to be considered an anime?

For example, series like RWBY are not considered anime. However, like most anime, it is animated, and the author himself referred to it as an anime. Yet whether or not it is an anime is a controversy among fans. The same applies to shows such as Avatar: The Last Airbender. Therefore, I ask: what does a show need to have in order to be an anime?
    Part of the 2k16 Underwater Salt Squad. Be warned, I am saltier than an ocean, and I am triggered far beyond the realms of what any mere mortal can reach. ◕﹏◕

It's a culture thing; not so much as the inspiration or art style.

It's a culture because it is portrayed and aimed towards an audience. That's why people are finicky about it and who works on it.

I remember Tokyo pop last decade tried motivating artists in the states to go for publishing manga and ended up stopping it not only because the artists weren't professional and lazy; but because of the name calling and elitism that went on with name calling and talking bad about the people involved because they weren't Japanese and the like, which is pretty stupid.

For one, it has to be made in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Tflofasho View Post
    I remember Tokyo pop last decade tried motivating artists in the states to go for publishing manga and ended up stopping it not only because the artists weren't professional and lazy; but because of the name calling and elitism that went on with name calling and talking bad about the people involved because they weren't Japanese and the like, which is pretty stupid.
    Purists have little to do with it. No, it's because Tokyopop scammed OEL artists and authors, basically ripping the rights away from them with shady contracts.

Here's a Tumblr post from someone who fell victim to them.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 23rd August 2016 at 5:44 AM.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Does the author have to be Japanese, though? Is it not considered anime if it is made by a Japanese person who lives outside of Japan? What if the author is someone who isn't Japanese, but lives in Japan?
    Part of the 2k16 Underwater Salt Squad. Be warned, I am saltier than an ocean, and I am triggered far beyond the realms of what any mere mortal can reach. ◕﹏◕

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    I mean, this pretty much sums it up, so there's not a whole lot of point left in this discussion.

In other words, /thread
    One of the writers for the PotW, and apparently the keeper of sanity and order.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.