Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 658

Thread: Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

  1. #576
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swagsire View Post
    Question the first. I use basic energy that are old all the time. It's a reprint, and is therefore the exact same card.

    Question the second. Pokegym has the legal modified card list. Which doesn't appear to list the old card as even legal..Qwaa
    Correct. All Basic Energy from any set (not including ones from Worlds decks obviously ) are just fine to use.

    As for Pokemon Center. Pokemon R&D have made a special case for that card and that they count as different cards.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  2. #577
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    252

    Default

    I have a perplexing question. There's a raticate in CF/FS which has "super fang" to bring the opponent down to 10 health. Now, if we attach pluspower, does this automatically knock out the opponent, or will it not apply? Also, would lets say, bouffer only leave bouffalant at 30 hp? Answers I must know Qwaa


    Created by PPL Qwaa

  3. #578
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swagsire View Post
    I have a perplexing question. There's a raticate in CF/FS which has "super fang" to bring the opponent down to 10 health. Now, if we attach pluspower, does this automatically knock out the opponent, or will it not apply? Also, would lets say, bouffer only leave bouffalant at 30 hp? Answers I must know Qwaa
    Raticate's attack puts damage counters on the Pokemon. Putting damage counters on a Pokemon isn't the same as doing damage. For example putting damage counters on a Pokemon doesn't effect weakness, resistance or effects like Bouffalant's Bouffer (since that only redices damage). But effects like Espeon's Solar Revelation would stop Raticate's Super Fang from doing anything.

    As for Pluspower, the attack needs to do damage (and not putting damage counters or other effects) to add the 10 damage.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  4. #579
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    That house in Dewford
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    Correct. All Basic Energy from any set (not including ones from Worlds decks obviously ) are just fine to use.

    As for Pokemon Center. Pokemon R&D have made a special case for that card and that they count as different cards.
    So, just to be sure, that means if I go to an official tournament with my old basic energy cards, I won't get banned at the door and can play just like anyone else? That means as far as basic energy is concerned, I'm set for life!

    And thanks for the info about the two Pokémon Center cards. The old one stays banned in modified, yet retains its greater usefulness in unlimited. I think that was the best possible ruling!




    I have another question regarding an issue that has confused me ever since I considered it. Plenty of cards say, "This counts as evolving that Pokémon." In most circumstances, the meaning is obvious: duh, of course it counts as evolving that Pokémon! But some possible scenarios involving cards with this phrase can be more confusing. Consider, for example Skyridge Nidoqueen's Evolution Helper Poké-Power. Imagine I'd evolved a given Pokémon once already this turn. Does the phrase "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" prevent me from using that power on that Pokémon? Or does it just mean that everything that usually goes along with evolution (i.e., loss of special conditions) still happen?

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  5. #580
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    I have another question regarding an issue that has confused me ever since I considered it. Plenty of cards say, "This counts as evolving that Pokémon." In most circumstances, the meaning is obvious: duh, of course it counts as evolving that Pokémon! But some possible scenarios involving cards with this phrase can be more confusing. Consider, for example Skyridge Nidoqueen's Evolution Helper Poké-Power. Imagine I'd evolved a given Pokémon once already this turn. Does the phrase "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" prevent me from using that power on that Pokémon? Or does it just mean that everything that usually goes along with evolution (i.e., loss of special conditions) still happen?
    You can only evelve a Pokemon normally (by playing it from your hand) once per turn. For example you can't have a Charmander in play, evelve it to Charmeleon and then to Charizard in the same turn. The term "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" means you can't evolve that Pokemon the normal way (from your hand) again that turn.
    However, card effects can override that. For example you could use that Nidoqueen's PokePower twice in one turn if you had two of them in play. Or you could use Nidoqueen's PokePower and then play Wally's Training that same turn to evolve it again. But you wouldn't be able to use Nidoqueen's PokePower and then evolve that Pokemon again from your hand that turn.

    It's kind of hard to explain. Did what I said make sense?
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    That house in Dewford
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    You can only evelve a Pokemon normally (by playing it from your hand) once per turn. For example you can't have a Charmander in play, evelve it to Charmeleon and then to Charizard in the same turn. The term "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" means you can't evolve that Pokemon the normal way (from your hand) again that turn.
    However, card effects can override that. For example you could use that Nidoqueen's PokePower twice in one turn if you had two of them in play. Or you could use Nidoqueen's PokePower and then play Wally's Training that same turn to evolve it again. But you wouldn't be able to use Nidoqueen's PokePower and then evolve that Pokemon again from your hand that turn.

    It's kind of hard to explain. Did what I said make sense?
    Oh yes, that made a lot of sense. Your explanation even added another important distinction that I hadn't thought of: There's a definite difference between using a power like that after you evolve normally (which works because the power isn't normal) and trying to use the power first and then evolve normally (which doesn't because "this counts as evolving that Pokémon"). Thanks!




    Okay, now I have a really weird question. I've enjoyed using strategies involving powers like Sceptile's Energy Trans. Its effect is clear: as often as you want during your turn you can move a Grass Energy card from one of your Pokémon to another. If a card happened to be providing Grass Energy, it seemed obvious that it would not count as a Grass Energy card.

    However, several new cards that I like and am thinking of using have Abilities with different wording. They are Klinklang's Shift Gear and Hydreigon's Dark Trance. They read almost exactly the same except with different Energy types (Metal and Darkness respectively). They say you are allowed to move "a Metal Energy" or "a Darkness Energy" as often as you like; they do not specify "Energy card."

    This wording difference gave me an idea that is almost too good to be true. Would either of these Abilities be allowed to move a Blend Energy (GFPD with Hydreigon's or WLFM with KlingKlang's)? Each of these cards does provide the Energy type listed on the power, but does that mean that for the purposes of those Abilities it would count as "a Metal Energy" or "a Darkness Energy"? (I could have asked the same question about Rainbow Energy, but since it doesn't look like it's modified legal right now, I'd only be able to try it in unlimited.) I realize it could easily be that "Energy" and "Energy card" may very well be intended to mean the same thing in that context. But since it might not, I had to ask. Any info?

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  7. #582
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Okay, now I have a really weird question. I've enjoyed using strategies involving powers like Sceptile's Energy Trans. Its effect is clear: as often as you want during your turn you can move a Grass Energy card from one of your Pokémon to another. If a card happened to be providing Grass Energy, it seemed obvious that it would not count as a Grass Energy card.

    However, several new cards that I like and am thinking of using have Abilities with different wording. They are Klinklang's Shift Gear and Hydreigon's Dark Trance. They read almost exactly the same except with different Energy types (Metal and Darkness respectively). They say you are allowed to move "a Metal Energy" or "a Darkness Energy" as often as you like; they do not specify "Energy card."

    This wording difference gave me an idea that is almost too good to be true. Would either of these Abilities be allowed to move a Blend Energy (GFPD with Hydreigon's or WLFM with KlingKlang's)? Each of these cards does provide the Energy type listed on the power, but does that mean that for the purposes of those Abilities it would count as "a Metal Energy" or "a Darkness Energy"? (I could have asked the same question about Rainbow Energy, but since it doesn't look like it's modified legal right now, I'd only be able to try it in unlimited.) I realize it could easily be that "Energy" and "Energy card" may very well be intended to mean the same thing in that context. But since it might not, I had to ask. Any info?
    Yes, that would work. Cards like Rainbow Energy provide all types of energy at all times (while in play). So that means you would be able to use Powers/Abilities like Sceptile's Energy Trans or Klinklang's Shift Gear to move them.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  8. #583
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Just a quick question

    Can I play a Blaziken Level X onto, a for instance Eric's Blaziken / SP Blaziken?

  9. #584
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mukuro View Post
    Can I play a Blaziken Level X onto, a for instance Eric's Blaziken / SP Blaziken?
    I assume you mean Blaziken FB Lv.X? Blaziken FB Lv.X says

    Put this card onto your Active Blaziken FB. Blaziken FB Lv. X can use any attack, Poké-Power, or Poké-Body from its previous Level.
    The part I bolded indicates that yoiu have to put it on a Blaziken FB and not any other kind of Blaziken. Just like how you can't put Raichu Lv.X on a Surfing Pikachu. Because it says to put it on "Pikachu" and Surfing Pikachu isn't the same as Pikachu.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Question. My opponent has a darkrai EX from DEX on the bench, and a sableye in front with a dark energy. I have a jellicent on the bench, from BoC, which increases retreat cost by one. Since Darkrai EX drops retreat to zero, does that mean any pokemon with a dark energy affected by darkrai would then require 1 energy discarded to retreat? or would darkrai override that? Great ideas Qwaa...


    Created by PPL Qwaa

  11. #586
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swagsire View Post
    Question. My opponent has a darkrai EX from DEX on the bench, and a sableye in front with a dark energy. I have a jellicent on the bench, from BoC, which increases retreat cost by one. Since Darkrai EX drops retreat to zero, does that mean any pokemon with a dark energy affected by darkrai would then require 1 energy discarded to retreat? or would darkrai override that? Great ideas Qwaa...
    From what I understand, Darkrai EX doesn't make Pokémon with Darkness Energy attached to them have a retreat cost of 0, but instead makes them have no retreat cost, which would make me say that something that doesn't exist can't be modified. Having these effects apply in timestamp order probably would be too confusing and probably isn't the case.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  12. #587
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    That house in Dewford
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    Yes, that would work. Cards like Rainbow Energy provide all types of energy at all times (while in play). So that means you would be able to use Powers/Abilities like Sceptile's Energy Trans or Klinklang's Shift Gear to move them.
    Wow. I didn't even expect Sceptile's power to be good for that, but I checked Pokegym's Compendium to find that there was a ruling (or something) allowing for that, which is cool. Anyway, now if I make a deck with Klinklang or Hydreigon, I won't be as limited in my Energy choices. Thanks for the info!

    Quote Originally Posted by Swagsire View Post
    Question. My opponent has a darkrai EX from DEX on the bench, and a sableye in front with a dark energy. I have a jellicent on the bench, from BoC, which increases retreat cost by one. Since Darkrai EX drops retreat to zero, does that mean any pokemon with a dark energy affected by darkrai would then require 1 energy discarded to retreat? or would darkrai override that? Great ideas Qwaa...
    There's one I can definitely answer! Darkrai EX overrides the other effect, or, more accurately, makes it pointless. In contrast to the point Wishing Star makes, it appears that the two wordings, "retreat cost is zero" and the one found on the Ability Dark Cloak, "has no retreat cost" mean exactly the same thing. Therefore, to explain, consider the following example:

    Emboar (BW) was the first card I could find with a retreat cost of four, so let's go with that. Emboar is active, has one Darkness Energy on it and Darkrai EX is on the bench while the Jellicent you mentioned is on the other player's bench. His retreat cost calculation goes like this: 4 + 1 - EVERYTHING = 0.

    Instead of "EVERYTHING," you could probably just read "infinity," just as long as you remember that a resulting retreat cost of negative infinity would not make sense in this context. The answer can only be zero.

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  13. #588
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    There's one I can definitely answer! Darkrai EX overrides the other effect, or, more accurately, makes it pointless. In contrast to the point Wishing Star makes, it appears that the two wordings, "retreat cost is zero" and the one found on the Ability Dark Cloak, "has no retreat cost" mean exactly the same thing.
    I know for certain that they don't mean the same thing (by definition, since None != 0), but that the end result is the same between both meanings. But anyways:

    Some cards say that "The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn." Does this apply only for the object that the Defending Pokémon is at that time, or does it apply throughout the entirety of your opponent's turn on whatever the Active Pokémon just so happens to be on their turn? In other words, if a Spinarak used a move that said that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn", and on their turn, they use something to switch their Active with a Benched, can the new Active Pokémon then retreat?





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  14. #589
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I know for certain that they don't mean the same thing (by definition, since None != 0), but that the end result is the same between both meanings. But anyways:

    Some cards say that "The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn." Does this apply only for the object that the Defending Pokémon is at that time, or does it apply throughout the entirety of your opponent's turn on whatever the Active Pokémon just so happens to be on their turn? In other words, if a Spinarak used a move that said that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn", and on their turn, they use something to switch their Active with a Benched, can the new Active Pokémon then retreat?
    Effects of attacks like Spinarak's Spider Web (The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn) are only there as long as the defending Pokemon that was attacked stays the active Pokemon. So if the use a card like Switch then they'll be able to retreak again as normal.
    An attack would have to be worded like SW Gardevoir's Psychic Lock if it were to stop all of their Pokemon from doing something next turn.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    Effects of attacks like Spinarak's Spider Web (The Defending Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn) are only there as long as the defending Pokemon that was attacked stays the active Pokemon. So if the use a card like Switch then they'll be able to retreak again as normal.
    An attack would have to be worded like SW Gardevoir's Psychic Lock if it were to stop all of their Pokemon from doing something next turn.
    Alright, awesome. Speaking of that exact card, it says that your opponent can't use PokéPowers "on" his or her Pokémon. I'm assuming it means "PokéPowers of his or her Pokémon", right? (I could see why it says "on", since they are "on" the Pokémon, after all.)

    Also, what effects does evolving a Pokémon lift in addition to Special Conditions? Would it remove that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during [this turn]" restriction of that Spinarak?





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  16. #591
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Alright, awesome. Speaking of that exact card, it says that your opponent can't use PokéPowers "on" his or her Pokémon. I'm assuming it means "PokéPowers of his or her Pokémon", right? (I could see why it says "on", since they are "on" the Pokémon, after all.)

    Also, what effects does evolving a Pokémon lift in addition to Special Conditions? Would it remove that "the Defending Pokémon can't retreat during [this turn]" restriction of that Spinarak?
    "On" seems like the right word choice to me. :/

    And evolving or devolving (with a card's effect) removes pretty much the same effects from that Pokemon as the Pokemon going to the bench.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  17. #592
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    "On" seems like the right word choice to me. :/

    And evolving or devolving (with a card's effect) removes pretty much the same effects from that Pokemon as the Pokemon going to the bench.
    Eh, "on" connotes that PokéPowers that affect a Pokémon can't be used, not PokéPowers that those Pokémon have in general. :/

    Is there any particular reason why (d)evolving a Pokémon removes restrictions like that (and Special Conditions as well, if I remember correctly)? Or is it just intrinsically part of the game rules solely for balancing reasons?





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    114

    Default

    im looking for a way to skip a basic pokemon. anyway whatsoever. for example, i want to play a charmeleon (just an example), is there anyway in the game whatsoever he can ever make it on the field without having a charmander?
    maybe a card that acts as a proxy for other pokemon, or a substitute basic, anything whatsoever at all?

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    114

    Default

    are there any TRAINER cards that let you access one of YOUR prize cards? i know Impostor Professor Oak's Invention lets your opponent shuffle their prizes into their deck and readd 6. and i know theres some japanese cards that do.. Lt. Surge's Treaty and Misty's Wish both do IF your oponent agrees.. are there any that actually let you get one of your prize cards?
    or is there a card that makes your opponent activate one of your trainer cards (kind of a reverse approach)?

  20. #595
    SkittyOnWailord's Avatar
    SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Outside your window O_O
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bla7kCaT View Post
    im looking for a way to skip a basic pokemon. anyway whatsoever. for example, i want to play a charmeleon (just an example), is there anyway in the game whatsoever he can ever make it on the field without having a charmander?
    maybe a card that acts as a proxy for other pokemon, or a substitute basic, anything whatsoever at all?
    The only ways I can think of are Garchomp Lv.X's Restore attack or the supporter Archie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bla7kCaT View Post
    are there any TRAINER cards that let you access one of YOUR prize cards? i know Impostor Professor Oak's Invention lets your opponent shuffle their prizes into their deck and readd 6. and i know theres some japanese cards that do.. Lt. Surge's Treaty and Misty's Wish both do IF your oponent agrees.. are there any that actually let you get one of your prize cards?
    or is there a card that makes your opponent activate one of your trainer cards (kind of a reverse approach)?
    This Rotom's PokePower comes to mind.
    なにがでるかな!?


    I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

    Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

  21. #596
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some mountain in kanto
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Bla7kCaT@ azelf from legends awakens, also other then the new ditto, other wise no yomust evolve.


    Wishing Star@ evolution and the loss of status effects is a format rule and unlimited rule, however if you would like to revise the rule for you're own game play that is possible.
    Last edited by ven?; 27th November 2012 at 10:52 PM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

  22. #597
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Greetings.

    I would like to create a deck centered around 3 Aerodactyls from Dark Explorers... Having 3 of these Pokemon sat on my bench would provide a nice damage boost to the rest of my team thanks to Aerodactyl's passive ability "Ancient Scream". However I am unsure how exactly to get the Aerodactyls from my hand or deck onto my bench.

    I have 2 Old Amber Item cards & I am in the process of obtaining a Twist Mountain Stadium card. When reading the description for each of these cards I am still somewhat confused...

    Old Amber - Description: Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal an Aerodactyl you find there & put it onto your bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

    ^^ I have started many games with an Aerodactyl or 2 dealt in my opening hand... So how do I get these cards from my hand to the bottom of my deck so that I can use an Old Amber to retrieve them?

    Twist Mountain - Description: Once during each player's turn, that player may flip a coin. If heads, the player puts a Restored Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her bench.

    ^^ What is the definition of a "Restored Pokemon" & how do you restore them? Does it mean that if I happen to have an Aerodactyl in my hand I can then play it?... Or is it required for an item (such as an Old Amber) to have been used on it?

    Any info would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on how to play this style of deck would be most welcome too.

    Many thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Kraeseth; 7th December 2012 at 2:11 AM. Reason: Typo

  23. #598
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clovis, California
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraeseth View Post
    Old Amber - Description: Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal an Aerodactyl you find there & put it onto your bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

    ^^ I have started many games with an Aerodactyl or 2 dealt in my opening hand... So how do I get these cards from my hand to the bottom of my deck so that I can use an Old Amber to retrieve them?
    There currently aren't any cards that can put a card from your hand to the bottom of your deck. Your best bet is using N or Pokemon Communication to put them back into your deck. And then using an Old Amber to hopefully. I don't think there currently are any cards within the Modified format that can even take some cards from the top of your deck and put one or more on the bottom, like Call of Legends' Research Record.

    Twist Mountain - Description: Once during each player's turn, that player may flip a coin. If heads, the player puts a Restored Pokemon from his or her hand onto his or her bench.

    ^^ What is the definition of a "Restored Pokemon" & how do you restore them? Does it mean that if I happen to have an Aerodactyl in my hand I can then play it?... Or is it required for an item (such as an Old Amber) to have been used on it?
    Just like how a card is Basic or Stage 1, unevolved fossil Pokemon will instead say Restored.

    Any info would be much appreciated. Also, any tips on how to play this style of deck would be most welcome too.
    One effective combination is Tornadus EX and Twist Mountain. For a Double Colorless Energy, Tornadus EX can hit for 30 plus an other 30 if a Stadium card is in play.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys


  24. #599
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    How do you tell whether or not something that's printed on a card is a cost?

    For example, Ultra Ball says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" and that if the player can't discard two cards, they can't play Ultra Ball. This would mean that discarding two cards would be a cost.

    However, Junk Arm says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" without explicitly saying that it can't be played if the user can't discard two cards.

    Why is it that Junk Arm can't be used if my hand contains only it and a Water Energy? Why is it not assumed that Junk Arm's "discard two cards" is a "do as much as you can" thing?





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  25. #600
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Clovis, California
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    How do you tell whether or not something that's printed on a card is a cost?

    For example, Ultra Ball says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" and that if the player can't discard two cards, they can't play Ultra Ball. This would mean that discarding two cards would be a cost.

    However, Junk Arm says to "discard two cards from [the player's] hand" without explicitly saying that it can't be played if the user can't discard two cards.

    Why is it that Junk Arm can't be used if my hand contains only it and a Water Energy? Why is it not assumed that Junk Arm's "discard two cards" is a "do as much as you can" thing?
    There can be some inconsistencies in wording for Trainer/Item cards, but essentially, Trainer/Item cards cannot be used with to no effect and you must be able to fulfill their costs to be able to use them. Once you are able to use a Trainer/Item card, then you can "do as much as you can" if you can perform at least one of its effects. You can only take one basic Energy from your discard pile with Energy Retrieval if there is only one there. You can search through your deck with an Ultra Ball or Pokemon Communication, but you can fail the search if you wish, since the deck is "private" to the rules of the game.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys


Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •