Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

Quote Originally Posted by booger_face View Post
    I have been collecting Pokemon Cards for, oh, probably eight years, and in those eight years, I have never actually played a single game with the things. Now, of course, I am looking to play the game, at least a little, but there are still some rules I'm not sure of. If it's all right, I'd like to ask some, er, basic questions about playing the game. It shouldn't be anything too difficult.

Exactly how many cards are permitted in one deck? How many of each?

Can you mix sets? In other words, if I were to play a game against someone, could I use cards from say, Jungle and Fossil, while they use cards from Base and Neo Genesis (just random examples)?

Alternatively, can I mix-and-match sets when it comes to evolving Pokemon? Like, could I evolve Blaine's Charmander (Gym Leaders series) to a Dark Charmeleon (Team Rocket series) and then to a Charizard (Base set)? Or must evolution be kept within the set?

Where can I find things like damage counters and other objects like that required for playing the game?

Lastly, does anyone know of a comprehensive guide out there that could answer some of my more basic questions?

Thank you all very kindly.
    Okay, answer to your first question: 60 cards in total, only 4 maximum copies of the same card, even if it has different artwork, except for BASIC Energy cards.

Answer to second question: Yes, you can mix sets. That's why there are expansions, right?

Answer to third question: No... you can't do that. A Pokemon who has a title or has an owner on its name is treated differently. You know, whatever is written on its "Evolves from". Like you can only evolve Blaine's Charmander into Blaine's Charmeleon, and Blaine's Charmeleon into Blaine's Charizard.

Answer to fourth question: You can get those from buying Theme decks.

Answer to fifth question: Go to: http://op.pokemon-tcg.com

GPXPlus Profile | Electromaster | Alert; Obsessions
    Paired with the awesome Orion-Sama~

Wow, thanks a ton! When I saw that the last post here was in December, I kind of thought my question would just sort of die out. Anyways, thanks again!

Can you have more than 60 cards in your deck?

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire7 View Post
    Can you have more than 60 cards in your deck?
    No. A deck can have only 60 cards. No more, no less. Unless you are playing in a draft, in that case you would play with a 40 card deck.
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

Do cards with an "E" on the bottem double it's damage? (E as in the E rater thingy-magigy..)

Hello,

If you have a Darkness Energy attached to a Gengar from the Diamond&Pearl set and use it's Life Drain attack, will it KO the defending pokemon? I wasn't sure how the steps in an attack resolve or how darkness energy affects attacks that don't do a set amount of damage, so if anyone could elucidate those two concepts for me in addition to answering my question I would appreciate it very much . Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FireDragon100 View Post
    Do cards with an "E" on the bottem double it's damage? (E as in the E rater thingy-magigy..)
    No. Its damage is only doubled in the event that the Defending Pokemon has a x2 weakness (any card before Diamond and Pearl or D&P cards that state the weakness is x2). The E only signifies that you can scan the card with the E-Reader.

Quote Originally Posted by quasi86
    Hello,

If you have a Darkness Energy attached to a Gengar from the Diamond&Pearl set and use it's Life Drain attack, will it KO the defending pokemon? I wasn't sure how the steps in an attack resolve or how darkness energy affects attacks that don't do a set amount of damage, so if anyone could elucidate those two concepts for me in addition to answering my question I would appreciate it very much . Thanks!
    No. As the Special Darkness Energy card states, the Pokemon only gains the extra 10 points if it is itself a Darkness-typed Pokemon or has Dark in its name. Verbatim (where [darkness] is representative of the dark energy symbol): "If the Pokemon Darkness Energy is attached to attacks, the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokemon (before applying Weakness or Resistance). Ignore this effect unless the Attacking Pokemon is [darkness] or has Dark in its name. Darkness Energy provides [darkness] Energy. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy card)."

It wouldn't have worked anyways, even if you used Strength Charm or Plus Power. Damage happens before the effects of an attack. So, you'd do 10 damage, then put damage counters on until the Defending Pokemon had 10 HP remaining.

Spoiler:- More info on order of attack:

Spoiler:- More info on damage calculation:

Couple of clarifications I'd like myself:

Playing a fossil deck, say I get Omanyte out via Strange Cave. It says to treat the new Benched Pokemon as a Basic Pokemon. Is it purely a Basic Pokemon, or is it also considered a Stage 1 card at the same time?

If I were to evolve it into Omastar, it would count as a Stage 2, regardless of the answer to the first question, correct?

Discarding Mysterious Fossil from play via its effect does not count as having it KO'd under the new rules, correct?

When placing a Basic Pokemon on a Baby Pokemon, the new Pokemon is considered Basic and Evolved, but not Stage 1, correct? And I can evolve a Baby the turn it comes into play because its evolution is (or can be) carried out via its Poke-POWER, correct?
    Last edited by Yuuki; 18th June 2007 at 9:59 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuki View Post
    Couple of clarifications I'd like myself:

Playing a fossil deck, say I get Omanyte out via Strange Cave. It says to treat the new Benched Pokemon as a Basic Pokemon. Is it purely a Basic Pokemon, or is it also considered a Stage 1 card at the same time?

If I were to evolve it into Omastar, it would count as a Stage 2, regardless of the answer to the first question, correct?

Discarding Mysterious Fossil from play via its effect does not count as having it KO'd under the new rules, correct?

When placing a Basic Pokemon on a Baby Pokemon, the new Pokemon is considered Basic and Evolved, but not Stage 1, correct? And I can evolve a Baby the turn it comes into play because its evolution is (or can be) carried out via its Poke-POWER, correct?
    1) As long as it's in play by Strange Cave's effect it counts as a basic pokemon and not a stage 1.

2) Evolving it would still make it a stage 2. In this case it would be a stage 2 evolved from a basic.

3) You would be discarding it, discarding is not knocking out. Otherwise Giant Stump would be KOing things all over the place.

4) You can evolve it on the first turn because the Poke Power lets you evolve it. But if someone stops the Poke Power from working it won't be able to evolve at all.
    I'm not sure about this but I think it counts as just a stage 1. Yes, I know, I'm a Proffeser and I've never looked that up.
    なにがでるかな!?

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

Thank you. Guess Wailord (Legend Maker) won't be having as much fun as I'd hoped, but he still might be useful. Just not as broken as I was hoping. =D

Can you use energy from older sets than the sets allowed in the modified rules?

For example, could I use a fire energy from the base set, rather than have to use fire energy from say, Diamond and Pearl.

This has been bugging me for a while now, I would like it if it could be cleared up...
    Subliminal rules: how to live, how to die.

FB ~ PC ~ PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl's Perap View Post
    Can you use energy from older sets than the sets allowed in the modified rules?

For example, could I use a fire energy from the base set, rather than have to use fire energy from say, Diamond and Pearl.

This has been bugging me for a while now, I would like it if it could be cleared up...
    You can use an older version of any card that is curently in the modified formad. Basic energy, Metal/Dark energy and some trainers are an example. You can only use old pokemon if they are the exact same card though. That means HP, weekness, resistance, retreet cost, attacks and so on.
    なにがでるかな!?

Default Berries

I have a question about berries. If I attach for example "Berry" (from neo 1 series) to my active pokémon (HP: 50), then my opponent knocks out my pokémon with a 50 points hit, could I use berry and keep in play my pokémon, or not? Thanks for your attention.

Nope, wouldn't work, because Berry is used between turns. The Pokémon is knocked out during the turn.

Default Berries

Thanks a lot, it was really important (I hate when someone uses Gold Berry after being knocked out... ^^)

If I wanted to lets say for example, add a Kricketune to my deck, but didn't have a Kricketot, could I still have Kricketune in my deck?
    Or is there some kind of rule for this?
    Take it easy
    "See you next summer..."
    (S2 is now!)
    I'm looking for an old piece of art I requested on here years ago and lost. It was a brown-haired girl with a pink wristband riding a Torterra. If you think you have this picture saved or have seen it somewhere please let me know and send it to me.

I got some pretty good pulls, I think.

-One of each Pokemon in the Gengar Evolution
    -Electrivire
    -Manaphy
    -Salebye (SP?)
    -Smoochum
    -Rapidash
    -Turtwig Promo

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Master View Post
    If I wanted to lets say for example, add a Kricketune to my deck, but didn't have a Kricketot, could I still have Kricketune in my deck?
    Or is there some kind of rule for this?
    Yes you can. There are sometimes reasons to have an evolution and not the basic. Like for Alakazam*'s 2nd attack for example.
    なにがでるかな!?

Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    Yes you can. There are sometimes reasons to have an evolution and not the basic. Like for Alakazam*'s 2nd attack for example.
    So I could, for example, have four Charizards in my deck without having any previous stages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Vowell
    Leave that gun! Take that Cannoli!

Is Manaphy pretty rare? My friend said it was really rare. I pulled one yesterday.

Can you really use Celio's Network to find a Pokemon LvX?

Quote Originally Posted by booger_face View Post
    So I could, for example, have four Charizards in my deck without having any previous stages?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampert-the-Berserk View Post
    Is Manaphy pretty rare? My friend said it was really rare. I pulled one yesterday.
    Don't spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Admin View Post
    Can you really use Celio's Network to find a Pokemon LvX?
    Yes.
    なにがでるかな!?

Are prize cards chosen prior to a match, or included in your 60-card deck and randomly put out? Does the person who gets a prize card, keep it forever? sorry if this has been answered before.
    Friend code: 2148 9029 9595

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Rokon View Post
    Are prize cards chosen prior to a match, or included in your 60-card deck and randomly put out? Does the person who gets a prize card, keep it forever? sorry if this has been answered before.
    Prize cards are put out from the top of each players deck after both players have drawn there hands and both have basics.
    You draw your own prizes not your opponents and since you already own your prizes of cource you keep them.(They were your cards to begin with)
    If someone tells you that you take your opponents prizes then they are trying to rip you off. Tell them to read the rule book.
    なにがでるかな!?

Okay, another question, sorry if this is completely beginner class, firstly, what are the classes of rarity: are they very common, common, rare, ultra-rare. Secondly where do Lv.X, Holos, Foils, fall into these categories. Then finally, I have cards where the whole card is shiny is that a holo? and i have cards which just the background of the picture is shiny with the name of the card series eg. crystal guardians within the picture, are they rare?
    Friend code: 2148 9029 9595

Shiny Rokon: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Rare Holo, Rare Holo LV.X. Reverse foil cards fall into whichever category their card is (a reverse foil Vulpix from Mysterious Treasures, for example, is still common).

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast