Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    In sanctioned tournaments you can only use cards from these sets.

Heart Gold Soul Silver
    HS Unleashed
    HS Undaunted
    HS Triumphant
    Call of Legends
    Black and White
    BW Emerging Powers
    HS Trainer Kit
    BW Trainer Kit
    Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered BW01 and higher
    2011 McDonalds promos

And every year they rotate out some of the older sets.

As for Bill, that card has been errata'd to be a Supporter; there isn't a trailer version of it any more. So it won't matter if you play the old one or the new one, if you play it in an official game then it will be a Supporter and not a trainer. They did the same with Great Ball too. So even if you use an old Great Ball then it'll have the effect of the new Great Ball instead.

Wow! That is a Major Text change! It seems that there doing this so that you have to buy the new cards to compete in the tournies.

Not really, even if you have the older cards they allow them, they just changed the errata to accommodate the ruling system.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

So I can use a Gust of Wind (Base set/Base set two) I can use it in a tourney?

Quote Originally Posted by hellfighter View Post
    So I can use a Gust of Wind (Base set/Base set two) I can use it in a tourney?
    Unless the tournament you're in is Unlimited, then no, that card is no longer modified-legal. You would have to use the new Pokemon Catcher that came in the Emerging Powers set.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys

Hi guys I'm wondering if you can help me with a few questions.
    I'm completely new to Pokemon TCG and just bought the new Noble Victories Fast Daze theme deck because I want to start playing. When I was young I bought a few of the base set theme decks (overgrowth, brushfire) but never really played, and want to start proper now.

1)As there are only 5 fire energies in new deck I bought can I add some more fire energy from the old base set?

2)Are the only Pokemon I'm allowed to add to my deck, have to be from Black & White/Emerging Powers/Noble Victories?

3)Can I add these Reshiram promo cards I got from tin/box to my deck?

Thanks
    I love original Pokemon anime (love EP003) , I miss Misty
    Favourite Pokemon Game: Pokemon FireRed

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpieMaster View Post
    1)As there are only 5 fire energies in new deck I bought can I add some more fire energy from the old base set?
    All Basic Energy from any set are fine to use. Any Special Energy that are reprinted into the latest sets, like Double Colorless, are also legal to use.

2)Are the only Pokemon I'm allowed to add to my deck, have to be from Black & White/Emerging Powers/Noble Victories?
    Below is the list of modified-legal sets.

HeartGold SoulSilver
    HS - Unleashed
    HS - Undaunted
    HS - Triumphant
    Call of Legends
    Black and White
    BW Emerging Powers
    BW - Noble Victories
    HS promos

And whatever comes out until another rotation.

3)Can I add these Reshiram promo cards I got from tin/box to my deck?
    Go ahead!
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys

Little question on how a move works. I have the BW Emerging Powers #54 Drilbur with Hone Claws along with the BW Emerging Powers #56 Excadrill. If I had Drilbur use Hone Claws one turn so that the next turn his attack would do 30 more damage, but evolved him into Excadrill the next turn, would he still get the 30 power boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Kissmygrass96 View Post
    Little question on how a move works. I have the BW Emerging Powers #54 Drilbur with Hone Claws along with the BW Emerging Powers #56 Excadrill. If I had Drilbur use Hone Claws one turn so that the next turn his attack would do 30 more damage, but evolved him into Excadrill the next turn, would he still get the 30 power boost?
    No, sorry. An evolution is more or less considered a "new Pokemon" in play. Unless stated otherwise, any Pokemon-inflicted effects from attacks are cleared when a Pokemon evolves. Plus, by "this Pokemon" the attack is referring to Drilbur.

Ok, is gust of wind a legal substitute for catcher? I have tons of the former and none of the latter.
    White FC: 4599-5688-7983
    Go to http://greyanimebeast.deviantart.com...nly=1#comments for the most amazing picture ever!

Nope, it has a different name.

EDIT: You can use it in playtesting/league tho
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Sorry for the bump, but I need to ask a question. Can a Pokémon be, at the same time, confused and asleep? I do know that the Poké can be burned, poisoned and asleep at the same time, but, confused and asleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Spük View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but I need to ask a question. Can a Pokémon be, at the same time, confused and asleep? I do know that the Poké can be burned, poisoned and asleep at the same time, but, confused and asleep?
    Asleep, Confused, and Paralyzed are conditions in which the card is turned in a certain direction. A card cannot be turned in two directions at the same time. So, those three conditions can only be separate and not stacked. Burned and Poisoned are the only conditions that can be stacked with each other and with any one of the three previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
    Asleep, Confused, and Paralyzed are conditions in which the card is turned in a certain direction. A card cannot be turned in two directions at the same time. So, those three conditions can only be separate and not stacked. Burned and Poisoned are the only conditions that can be stacked with each other and with any one of the three previously mentioned.
    Ahn, I see. Thankies~

Here's another one. Take this Sharpedo. Crunch attack says that an attack will cause more damage to someone's Pokémon if some Pokémon does some damage. Can someone defines who's the Defending Pokémon, the someone and the one who can attack with Crunch's boost?

I think it'll be more easily if you can detail as a Battle situation.

Here's another one. Take this Sharpedo. Crunch attack says that an attack will cause more damage to someone's Pokémon if some Pokémon does some damage. Can someone defines who's the Defending Pokémon, the someone and the one who can attack with Crunch's boost?

I think it'll be more easily if you can detail as a Battle situation.
    In the video games, Crunch can reduce the Defense of the opponent's Pokemon. For this Sharpedo, this has been implemented into its Crunch attack.

The Defending Pokemon in this case is the one who received the Crunch attack. If that Pokemon is still active during your next turn and was never switched out during your opponent's last turn, any attack that does damage to that Defending Pokemon (whether it be from itself or your Pokemon) will do 40 more damage after applying Weakness and Resistance.

Example 1
    You use Crunch for 20. Your opponent takes their turn without switching or retreating. When you do damage on your next turn, you do 40 more damage.

Example 2
    You use Crunch against a Pokemon that knows Take Down, which will do 10 damage to the Pokemon that uses it. If your opponent uses Take Down during their turn, that Pokemon will do 50 damage to itself instead of 10. When it's your turn, if you don't use Crunch again, then the effect will end when you finish your turn.

In the video games, Crunch can reduce the Defense of the opponent's Pokemon. For this Sharpedo, this has been implemented into its Crunch attack.

The Defending Pokemon in this case is the one who received the Crunch attack. If that Pokemon is still active during your next turn and was never switched out during your opponent's last turn, any attack that does damage to that Defending Pokemon (whether it be from itself or your Pokemon) will do 40 more damage after applying Weakness and Resistance.

Example 1
    You use Crunch for 20. Your opponent takes their turn without switching or retreating. When you do damage on your next turn, you do 40 more damage.

Example 2
    You use Crunch against a Pokemon that knows Take Down, which will do 10 damage to the Pokemon that uses it. If your opponent uses Take Down during their turn, that Pokemon will do 50 damage to itself instead of 10. When it's your turn, if you don't use Crunch again, then the effect will end when you finish your turn.
    Get it! Thanks. Interesting uses with Pokés who can damage multiple targets.

Interesting uses with Pokés who can damage multiple targets.
    What do you mean?

What do you mean?
    Like Feraligator. Spinnin' Tail with 60 Power! (if opponent didn't retreat lol).

No, sorry. An evolution is more or less considered a "new Pokemon" in play. Unless stated otherwise, any Pokemon-inflicted effects from attacks are cleared when a Pokemon evolves. Plus, by "this Pokemon" the attack is referring to Drilbur.
    Sorry it's late, but this actually came up at the pre-release I went to. My opponent catcher-ed my Drilbur after I had used hone claws. I retreated the Pokemon he switched for and sent drilbur back out. The judge said that it would still do 30 more damage since it specifically says "This Pokemon." I think that sounds about right. But if I had evolved it into Excadrill, it would not have dealt the extra damage.
    Friend Safari: Snorunt, Bergmite, Cloyster
    Friend Code: 0860-3745-2173

Credit to Robert

I know the basic rules of the game but I want to learn more about the competitive aspect of the game. Are there any websites that offer articles on how to jump into the metagame?
    A Remnant of the Battling Academy:
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/200s1s4.gif[/IMG]

My Current Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard31 View Post
    Sorry it's late, but this actually came up at the pre-release I went to. My opponent catcher-ed my Drilbur after I had used hone claws. I retreated the Pokemon he switched for and sent drilbur back out. The judge said that it would still do 30 more damage since it specifically says "This Pokemon." I think that sounds about right. But if I had evolved it into Excadrill, it would not have dealt the extra damage.
    The judge made the wrong call. Any Active Pokemon that is switched out also loses any effects on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciliano View Post
    I know the basic rules of the game but I want to learn more about the competitive aspect of the game. Are there any websites that offer articles on how to jump into the metagame?
    Try Pokegym.net.

What's the best way to come upon basic energies (besides buying them online)?
    Are there any booster packs that I can pull good energies from, or do I have to settle on buying decks to acquire them?

Quote Originally Posted by giveusyourbones View Post
    What's the best way to come upon basic energies (besides buying them online)?
    Are there any booster packs that I can pull good energies from, or do I have to settle on buying decks to acquire them?
    Sets with basic enrgies that are in stores:

HGSS
    BW

Also buy some Theme Decks that have the Energy(s) you want.
    I AM FROM THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS. IF YOU ARE TOO COPY AND PASTE THIS IN YOUR SIG

3DS FC: 2836-0208-8979

Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Oddish, Quilladin, and Swadloon

English Black FC: 1893 2202 1899 OT: Tarro

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    -RNG abuse actually takes skill. Trying to make a 1/1366, let alone 1/8192 event happen with luck til it happens screams you don't have a life.
    - The biggest draw to RNGed pokemon is for flawless IVs, which are way more useful than a color swap.
    - It's an exploitable in-game feature, just like EVs and IV breeding.
    - Nintendo notes that it is legal; it's not cheating by their own definitions.

All right, thanks. I'm actually trying to get a lot of Undaunted and Triumphant packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarro57 View Post
    Sets with basic enrgies that are in stores:

HGSS
    BW

Also buy some Theme Decks that have the Energy(s) you want.
    Theme decks are the way to go, even if they often provide only two types of Energy and in limited numbers. Or if you know people who currently play or may still have old Base Set Energy in good condition, then try to get some from them. And if those with old cards have the old Double Colorless Energy, try to grab those too

In casual gameplay, can I use a Pokémon that don't evolve from the final stage? For example, I have a Whimsicott, but I don't have any Cottonee. Since I don't want to hunt for it, can I use another basic Grass Pokémon with similar attacks, resistances and weakness?

Remember that my case refer to CASUAL gameplay, not competitive gameplay.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast