Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon TCG Help Thread [Gameplay questions]

Okay, I have a multi-part question about a casual game I played last night with a friend. (We are both only casual players, and we play Unlimited.)
    The three cards involved are:
    Kingdra Lv. 52 (Diamond and Pearl: Legends Awakened, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ds_Awakened_7))
    Ditto Lv. 20 (Fossil, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ditto_(Fossil_3))
    Clefable Lv. 34 (Jungle, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ble_(Jungle_1))

My active Pokémon is Kingdra when he brings Ditto up from his bench, so Ditto becomes Kingdra. Ditto Knocks Out my Kingdra when Ditto has 10 damage counters on it. When I then bring up Clefable as my next Active Pokémon, does Ditto become Clefable and automatically faint because it has 10 damage counters on it and only 70 HP? That's what I thought, but he said its Pokémon Power should be treated as a Poké-Power rather than as a Poké-Body, and so he had the option of when to use it. He said he wasn't going to use it, so it is still Kingdra, and so I let it go.

Later, on my next turn I tried to use Clefable's Metronome to copy Ditto's Dragon Pump, and I thought I could do 60 damage to Ditto and 20 to a Benched Pokémon without discarding anything, but he said no. We had a small debate about it, and I thought I could do this because Metronome says that I don't have to execute costs required to use the attack. My argument was that even though the discarding wasn't required to do the 40, it was required to do the 60 + 20>Bench, so it was required, and I didn't have to discard them. In the end, I let that go as well, though, and we assumed that I had to discard the cards.

On both of these questions, could you please tell me what the correct ruling should be? I don't want to win (or lose) an argument, and anyway the battle's over; I just want to know for the future if similar situations arise (especially on the first question because I'm sure he will use that Ditto again).

My active Pokémon is Kingdra when he brings Ditto up from his bench, so Ditto becomes Kingdra. Ditto Knocks Out my Kingdra when Ditto has 10 damage counters on it. When I then bring up Clefable as my next Active Pokémon, does Ditto become Clefable and automatically faint because it has 10 damage counters on it and only 70 HP? That's what I thought, but he said its Pokémon Power should be treated as a Poké-Power rather than as a Poké-Body, and so he had the option of when to use it. He said he wasn't going to use it, so it is still Kingdra, and so I let it go.
    Sucks but yes, because ditto only has 50 hp.

Later, on my next turn I tried to use Clefable's Metronome to copy Ditto's Dragon Pump, and I thought I could do 60 damage to Ditto and 20 to a Benched Pokémon without discarding anything, but he said no. We had a small debate about it, and I thought I could do this because Metronome says that I don't have to execute costs required to use the attack. My argument was that even though the discarding wasn't required to do the 40, it was required to do the 60 + 20>Bench, so it was required, and I didn't have to discard them. In the end, I let that go as well, though, and we assumed that I had to discard the cards.
    I quote the card on this one "anything else required in order to use that attack" so if there is a cost or effect to the attack it still applys,
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Okay so I have a question about the Crystal Wall. It says that Black Kyurem-EX's it's maximum HP is 300. So does that mean that Black Kyurem-EX's HP is now 180/300 or is it 300/300

FC: 2406-6166-3485 IGN: Emerald

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmeraldKnight View Post
    Okay so I have a question about the Crystal Wall. It says that Black Kyurem-EX's it's maximum HP is 300. So does that mean that Black Kyurem-EX's HP is now 180/300 or is it 300/300
    It will be 300/300.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Blog (@AsrialysAC) | Pokemon Center Plush Collection (as of 10/19/2010) | Nintendo Network ID: Asrialys

Thank you Asrialys

I have a question about the special conditions...

My friend at my school who knows how to play the TCG (there are at least 2 seniors that play it), says the special conditions go in a way... like, moving the card in a reverse or, turning the card right for sleep... something like that... well, I question how can you tell if a Pokémon is confused if there is no turning for the card? And, also... which turnings for burn, poison, and paralysis?
    Y IGN is Arkis, X IGN is Starvein, OR IGN is Arkis, AS IGN is Sabiah

Quote Originally Posted by Cobali View Post
    I have a question about the special conditions...

My friend at my school who knows how to play the TCG (there are at least 2 seniors that play it), says the special conditions go in a way... like, moving the card in a reverse or, turning the card right for sleep... something like that... well, I question how can you tell if a Pokémon is confused if there is no turning for the card? And, also... which turnings for burn, poison, and paralysis?
    You turn the card upside down so the name is facing you for confusion. Paralysis ic clockwise Sleep is counter clockwise and burn and poison you use a counter

Can I ask 2 questions about special energies, if anyone could answer please:
    1.are you allowed 4 of each type of special energy (eg 4 plasma energies & 4 double colourless) or 4 all together?
    2.Can any trainer card get back a special energy from the discard pile?

Can I ask 2 questions about special energies, if anyone could answer please:
    1.are you allowed 4 of each type of special energy (eg 4 plasma energies & 4 double colourless) or 4 all together?
    2.Can any trainer card get back a special energy from the discard pile?
    1. For special energy you are only allowed 4 of each card no differently then pokemon and T/S/S amounts.
    2. Do exactly as the card text says, so no.
    Last edited by ven?; 23rd May 2013 at 6:18 PM.

Hey guys, I never played pokemon TCG as a little kid, but I loved the video games. Now as a teen I am wondering if I should start playing the TCG. When I first started playing yugioh 7 years ago, it took me awhile to truly understand how to play. So my questions are:
    1. Is pokemon TCG fun?
    2. Is there a steep learning curve?
    3. Is it expensive to make a good deck (yugioh can be pretty expensive at times)
    4. Do you have any pointers/ advice to give me?
    Thanks in advance!

Credit for this banner goes to Rikku Takanashi

Credit for this banner goes to Chapter of Charizard

Hey guys, I never played pokemon TCG as a little kid, but I loved the video games. Now as a teen I am wondering if I should start playing the TCG. When I first started playing yugioh 7 years ago, it took me awhile to truly understand how to play. So my questions are:
    1. Is pokemon TCG fun?
    3. Is it expensive to make a good deck (yugioh can be pretty expensive at times)
    Thanks in advance!
    1. Depends on if you like it or not, I like it.
    2. depends on you're player level before pokemon, how relatable it is, etc.
    3. Yes and no, we have alot of variety when it comes to the price range of decks, we go from 60$ decks to 1000-2000$ decks.
    4. What pokemon do you want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by JTurls97 View Post
    1. Is pokemon TCG fun?
    Thanks in advance!
    This looked like fun to answer
    1.No. It's very labor intensive and we all hate it. Of course it's fun! That's what games are for!
    2. I wouldn't say steep. considering you're talking about yugioh, I figure you can play card games, so youre good! After all, a yugioh player from my card shop came to league today with a friends deck and scored first!
    3. Depends on what deck. You can build a good deck for I'd think 100 or more (Pokémon catcher is the only REALLY expensive staple.)
    4.To be a good player you have to know your deck. To be a great player, you have to know other decks. It really doesn't even matter if you can see the opponents card when they play it. If you cant brace for it you WILL misplay. This is why I run garbodor.(which is wonderfully cheap bty)

Hope this helps! Qwaa

Created by PPL Qwaa

I'm coming back to TCG and I have this question that had been bothering me. Was there any limit how many of same card you can have in one deck? For example, if I want to run an Eeveelutions deck and I need lot of Eevees, can I actually use many Eevees or only limited number of them?

Or how many Pokémon Exs or something other special cards you can have? I remember that there was some rule limiting the amount of Pokémon EX in one deck but of course I can't remember it anymore. Was there any other limits for special cards like shiny Pokémon or rare energy cards?

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

Quote Originally Posted by SpoinkyPearl View Post
    I'm coming back to TCG and I have this question that had been bothering me. Was there any limit how many of same card you can have in one deck? For example, if I want to run an Eeveelutions deck and I need lot of Eevees, can I actually use many Eevees or only limited number of them?

Or how many Pokémon Exs or something other special cards you can have? I remember that there was some rule limiting the amount of Pokémon EX in one deck but of course I can't remember it anymore. Was there any other limits for special cards like shiny Pokémon or rare energy cards?
    You can have as many basic energy cards as you want. But you can only have a total of 4 of any card with the same name. For example, you can only have 4 cards named Blaziken in your deck whether they're from different sets or not. But you can have 4 cards named Blaziken, 4 cards named Blaziken FB and 4 cards named Blaziken ex in the same deck. It all depends on the card's exact name.

Other than that, a few cards (though not many) will have limitations on how many of them you can have in a deck written right on them. Like how Mudkip* says "You can't have more than one Pokemon* in your deck" or how the trainer card Life Dew says "You can't have more than 1 Ace Spec card in your deck".
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

The new silver mirror. Do we have any idea if the damage is before or after weakness and resistance? Because the current translation states nothing of the sort. Qwaa

Created by PPL Qwaa

Silver mirror is neither, as it negates all effects of an attack including dmg done from a team plasma pokemon (I just decided to say it from a yugioh standpoint, rather odd I don't play that game).

Quote Originally Posted by SkittyOnWailord View Post
    You can have as many basic energy cards as you want. But you can only have a total of 4 of any card with the same name. For example, you can only have 4 cards named Blaziken in your deck whether they're from different sets or not. But you can have 4 cards named Blaziken, 4 cards named Blaziken FB and 4 cards named Blaziken ex in the same deck. It all depends on the card's exact name.

Other than that, a few cards (though not many) will have limitations on how many of them you can have in a deck written right on them. Like how Mudkip* says "You can't have more than one Pokemon* in your deck" or how the trainer card Life Dew says "You can't have more than 1 Ace Spec card in your deck".
    Thank you for refreshing my memory! For some reason I remembered that you can have only one Pokémon EX in the deck or something like that... but anyway, thank you for the answer, now I can build some new decks with my old cards!

In official tournaments you can only use cards from these sets (and most of the newer promos). And that includes every card in your deck, even the lower evolutions of your Pokemon. Basic Energy doesn't matter which set it's from.

Heart Gold Soul Silver
    HS Unleashed
    HS Undaunted
    HS Triumphant
    Call of Legends
    Black and White
    BW Emerging Powers

Of coarse in leagues and casual play you can play what ever you want.
    Does the same apply to prereleased cards in terms of leagues, before their respective set's street/retail release date?

I don't know if you can use them in leagues or not, but I do know that tournaments ban them if they are unreleased to retailers at the time of the tournament's occurence date... Anyone know the answer?
    Last edited by gregjammer; 3rd August 2013 at 11:42 PM.
    My D/P FC: 4255-0421-2254
    My Pt FC: 2450-0507-5436(old)
    My HG FC:3524-8966-7093(old)
    My black FC: 0691-4324-8351
    My black 2 FC: 3440-0907-8860
    My Y FC: 4038-6458-7352

Does the same apply to prereleased cards in terms of leagues, before their respective set's street/retail release date?

I don't know if you can use them in leagues or not, but I do know that tournaments ban them if they are unreleased to retailers at the time of the tournament's occurence date... Anyone know the answer?
    Once a set has been released you can use those cards for a sanctioned event, if it's league or otherwise go crazy as it doesn't matter, if it's sanctioned they might/will not allow those cards for use in a sanctioned tournament such as worlds until the set comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    Silver mirror is neither, as it negates all effects of an attack including dmg done from a team plasma pokemon (I just decided to say it from a yugioh standpoint, rather odd I don't play that game).
    GAHHHH. Holy crap I'm NOT allowed to post after 11 hour work days anymore. I meant Bangle! Qwaa

Created by PPL Qwaa

Quote Originally Posted by Swagsire View Post
    GAHHHH. Holy crap I'm NOT allowed to post after 11 hour work days anymore. I meant Bangle! Qwaa
    If you really meant silver bangle, then the answer is before weakness/resistance calcs.

Don't believe me? Look here

off topic but related to bangle: just remembered something about a match earlier w/ sis: I missed, misread and misapplied the first part that the extra 30 damage does not apply if it's holder is a pokemon-ex, when I attached the silver bangle to a ex, and she thought it included exes, so she assumed her black kyurem ex was ko'ed. After the match, when I researched it, I found out that she could've beat me had I not rushed to the 30 damage, or if she knew that extra stipulation, and pointed that out to me, but instead, as a result of being stressed out over a potential loss, especially with me having 3 prizes left vs. sis's one prize left, the tool's effect was incorrectly applied, ignoring the text in parenthesis, but I didn't know that it was a vital mistake that affected outcome until now, and as a result of that misapplication's discovery after research, I feel humilated at my mistake, but at least it's the first time I committed that mistake... Still, I know that she could've won had that stipulation been correctly applied, as I know a victory in a manner like that is a blow to your self-esteem as people could look at it as cheating, but since I missed that stated fact one time, and since that instance didn't actually happen at a tournament or league, but rather, in my own house, I may not be as humiliated as I would if I was DQ'ed for cheating in a manner like that in either a tournament or league rather than the confines of home, if only unintentionally, but still...
    Last edited by gregjammer; 17th August 2013 at 9:29 AM.

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

Quote Originally Posted by gregjammer View Post
    off topic but related to bangle: just remembered something about a match earlier w/ sis, missed, misread and misapplied the first part that the extra 30 damage does not apply if it's holder is a pokemon-ex... Now that I discovered that misapplication, I feel humilated at my mistake, but at least it's the first time I committed that mistake... Still, I know that she could've won had that stipulation been correctly applied, as I know a victory in a manner like that is a blow to your self-esteem as people could look at it as cheating, but since I missed that stated fact one time, and since that instance didn't actually happen at a tournament or league, I may not be as embarrased as I would if I was DQ'ed for cheating in a manner like that, if only unintentionally, but still...
    I'm not sure what tournament you were in. But if it was a sanctioned one then you would NOT have been DQ'd for making an unintentional gameplay mistake. As the penalty guidelines state:

7.6.4.Cheating
    Players who intentionally commit infractions are looking to gain an unfair advantage over other players at the event. The Head Judge should carefully consider whether an infraction was intentional or not before applying this penalty. If the Head Judge feels that an infraction was unintentional, this penalty should not be applied. Examples of Unsporting Conduct: Cheating include:

Drawing extra cards.
    Taking cards from the dis card pile and adding them to your hand or deck.
    Offering some form of compensation to an opponent for a concession.
    Altering match results after the conclusion of the match.
    Playing with marked cards.
    Lying to event staff.
    Arbitrarily adjusting the Special Conditions or damage counters put on any Pokémon in play.
    Use of dubious game actions intended to deceive your opponent into making misplays.
    Attempting to manipulate a random result.
    Stacking your deck.

Recommended Starting Penalty:
    Tier 1:
    Disqualification
    Tier 2:
    Disqualification
    Notice the two parts I bolded. What you described would fit under Game-Play Error Major or Severe (depending on exactly what happened, which I didn't see). Which would resault in a gamelose at worst.
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

I'm not sure what tournament you were in. But if it was a sanctioned one then you would NOT have been DQ'd for making an unintentional gameplay mistake. As the penalty guidelines state:

Notice the two parts I bolded. What you described would fit under Game-Play Error Major or Severe (depending on exactly what happened, which I didn't see). Which would resault in a gamelose at worst.

The mistake occured in a casual play match, but it is NOT a match in a registered league nor a real tournament, as noted in my last sentence of my previous post. Casual play in my case means practice. And practice in my case means nothing-at-stake-bar-brag-rights fun. That last part of post was mainly a "what-if it occurred in a tournament or league?", which is not the case in reality..

edit: better stop while I'm ahead... No spamming it up by excessive arguing...
    Last edited by gregjammer; 17th August 2013 at 4:09 AM.

Hey Guyz I am new to pokemon tcg online.I want some booster codes.Can somebody Give me codes? Please give me codes in private message. i need your help guyzzzzz

"FRIENDS HELP EACH OTHER"

If you transfer prisim energy around to other Pokemon on the field does it stay the same type or can you make it a different energy?
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast