Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon TCG Questions Thread [general questions]

Thanks for the explanation. I've got a card with the shiny silvery border, it was the Raikou that came out of the Raikou tin. Other than that, I'll just keep on looking and hoping I get some cool cards.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCBH View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I've got a card with the shiny silvery border, it was the Raikou that came out of the Raikou tin. Other than that, I'll just keep on looking and hoping I get some cool cards.
    That's okay- if it has a silvery border than it'll be the promo shiny Raikou they released along with the event to get them in game. There are a lot of cool cards in the new packs I've heard n_n

biatch im fabulous

My quest to find some cool cards shall continue!!

Ummm I just started off and i just bought some cards. My question is are cards from 2009 legal in tournaments and leagues or does it depend on the league. What cards are legal today
    So for example... is this card still legal?

gengar card.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Just to be completely 100% sure, this card is definitely a Prime, yes? I'm asking because I found one in a pack and I wanted to be sure.

Blissey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD240 View Post
    Ummm I just started off and i just bought some cards. My question is are cards from 2009 legal in tournaments and leagues or does it depend on the league. What cards are legal today
    So for example... is this card still legal?

gengar card.jpg

Thanks everyone.
    Yes, that is legal. Only a few cards are banned from TCG play: there's a list of them here and an explanation to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCBH View Post
    Just to be completely 100% sure, this card is definitely a Prime, yes? I'm asking because I found one in a pack and I wanted to be sure.

Blissey.jpg
    Yep, that is a Prime n_n

biatch im fabulous

[QUOTE=Electricbluewolf;14704799]Yes, that is legal. Only a few cards are banned from TCG play: there's a list of them here and an explanation to go with it.

Thanks.

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

Quote Originally Posted by Electricbluewolf View Post
    Yes, that is legal. Only a few cards are banned from TCG play: there's a list of them here and an explanation to go with it.
    That's not completely true. Since WotC lost the licence years ago, Pokemon has had two formats, modified and unlimited. Unlimited means you can use any English printed cards while modified means you can only use cards from these sets (The list changes roughly every year. And on September 1st it'll only be B/W and up).

Heart Gold Soul Silver
    HS Unleashed
    HS Undaunted
    HS Triumphant
    Call of Legends
    Black and White
    BW Emerging Powers
    BW Noble Victories
    BW Next Destinies
    BW Dark Explorers
    HS Trainer Kit
    BW Trainer Kit
    Black Star Promo Cards numbered HGSS01 and higher and Black Star Promo Cards numbered BW01 and higher
    2011 McDonalds promos
    2012 McDonalds promos
    Battle Road: Victory Medal
    Battle Road: Victory Cup
    It's up to the specific league if they allow unlimited or just modified. But any sanctioned tournament only uses modified.
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

On one of my Tyranitars attacks, it says "Put a Shock-wave marker on 1 of your opponent's pokemon". Is that the third generation equivalent to "Choose 1 of you opponent's pokemon. That pokemon is now paralized"?

ignore my first post, the first attack put's a shockwave counter on the pokemon the third attack KO's a pokemon with a shockwave counter, it is that simple.
    Last edited by ven?; 30th June 2012 at 3:18 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    ignore my first post, the first attack put's a shockwave counter on the pokemon the third attack KO's a pokemon with a shockwave counter, it is that simple.
    I can see that, that wasn't my question. My question was, is a shock-wave marker a paralisis marker or exclusive to this pokemon card/this expansion/this generation/Pokemon TCG?

A shock-wave marker is unrelated to paralysis.

It's just a marker that when put on the defending Pokemon, that the Shock-wave attack by Tyranitar KOs it.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

There was a couple pokemon cards that had similar effect's to try and give the game a larger style/radius of play. There was never any kind of add on to status effect's other then the damage calculation for confusion and burn being messed around and stackable poison (one of my favourite unlimited rule's). So in other words if it did a paralyze effect then it would say that on the card.

I know this is probably a ridiculously nooby question, but can someone explain the "rotation" and "format" changes to me? I know it means you cant use older cards, so does that mean you pretty much have to buy all new cards whenever the format changes and that all the cards you previously used are completely useless?

And does anyone have any idea when the next change will be? I dont wanna go buy cards only to have them become useless in tournament/league play soon after.
    "Nothing gold can stay"

"This place is not for the weak" -blessthefall

The format is a combination of three thing's, 1. the current rule's, 2. card's in rotation or in other words what cards you can use towards making your deck and 3. the top deck's being used to win tournament's.

Rotation is where they rotate out or get rid of the last 3-4 maybe 5 set's of the tcg rotation block every year to make certain that new player's can join in alot easier buy only having to worry about buying new set's, also don't worry as the tcg release's about 3-4 set's yearly.

and that sum's it up

There is talk of rotation in augest, they are getting rid of the currently useless heart gold soul silver expansion of cards making the rotation with set's like this left available

black and white
    emerging power's
    noble victories
    next destinies
    dark explorer's
    and the up coming dragons exalted
    Last edited by ven?; 9th July 2012 at 4:31 AM.

The format is a combination of three thing's, 1. the current rule's, 2. card's in rotation or in other words what cards you can use towards making your deck and 3. the top deck's being used to win tournament's.

Rotation is where they rotate out or get rid of the last 3-4 maybe 5 set's of the tcg rotation block every year to make certain that new player's can join in alot easier buy only having to worry about buying new set's, also don't worry as the tcg release's about 3-4 set's yearly.

and that sum's it up

There is talk of rotation in augest, they are getting rid of the currently useless heart gold soul silver expansion of cards making the rotation with set's like this left available

call of legend's
    black and white
    emerging power's
    noble victories
    next destinies
    dark explorer's
    Call of Legends is actually rotating out aswell.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

and that sum's it up

black and white
    emerging power's
    noble victories
    next destinies
    dark explorer's
    But why do they change the cards you can use in your deck? Wouldn't it be easier just to allow all the cards, old and new, so that older players don't have to keep buying new cards and completely rebuilding their deck whenever it changes? ...unless that's their plan... :/

To make buying and producing packs for the game easier to play for new player's, to make the game continuously interesting instead of 1 deck that can win, which in unlimited there is tons of turn 1 victory deck's, doesn't' make thing's interesting at all.

I do have to buy new pack's but that's okay because I get a discount on my cards.

But I don't see how can having older cards make a deck unbeatable. It's the newer cards that are getting more and more powerful with each set. If everybody is allowed to use any card, I don't see how the game is any less fair or interesting. If anything, it would be more interesting because of all the variety, whereas if they only allow a handful of sets, you would probably end up with a lot of people using the same cards.

But I'm getting a bit off-topic and there are never any tournaments happening near me anyway. I just don't get the point of doing this beyond making people have to keep buying new packs...

SkittyOnWailord is offline ☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoWolf0913 View Post
    But I don't see how can having older cards make a deck unbeatable. It's the newer cards that are getting more and more powerful with each set. If everybody is allowed to use any card, I don't see how the game is any less fair or interesting. If anything, it would be more interesting because of all the variety, whereas if they only allow a handful of sets, you would probably end up with a lot of people using the same cards.

But I'm getting a bit off-topic and there are never any tournaments happening near me anyway. I just don't get the point of doing this beyond making people have to keep buying new packs...
    It's the old trainers that are broken, and not the actual Pokemon. And all good unlimited decks (all older cards allowed) will win on their first turn about 95% of the time. As an example, I was playing against my friend's unlimited deck a while ago. I went first and ended my turn with 3 Reshiram (130HP), 2 Tepig (70HP) and a Zekrom (130HP). And then my opponent beat me on his next turn. Yep, that was a really fun game.
    If they allowed all of the older cards to be used then there's no doubt that it would still be fair. But games wouldn't last more than 1-3 turns ever.
    Last edited by SkittyOnWailord; 1st August 2012 at 3:20 PM.
    なにがでるかな!?

I'm here, I'm furry, And I'll try not to shed. =^_^=

Chimecho👉🎐 Octillery👉🐙 Piplup👉🐧 Omanyte👉🐚 Scolipede👉🐛 Wailord👉🐳 Lumineon👉🐠 Torkoal👉🐢 Pidove👉🐤 Skitty👉🐱

Sabldonk. sabledonk, card that let's you go first regardless of coin flip.

And thats the reason why all of the diamond pearl platnium cards got rotated out 2 months after the rule change about a year or so ago. They changed the format so new player's wouldn't go to a tournament and lost before they ever got to play a single card other then the basic they put down before the coin flip they automatically lost.
    Last edited by ven?; 2nd August 2012 at 5:24 AM.

Hey, I'm relatively new to the TCG (I've played casually for several months, but never competitively) and I figured since the rotation will be put into effect soon (I've read September 1st) now would be a good time to maybe try and prepare a deck of newer cards. Does anyone have any suggestions of what packs I should get? I understand that the new rotation will be BW-on, and I was wondering what specific packs I should buy (for example, Noble Victories, Next Destinies, or wait for Dragons Exalted to come out.) Thank you for taking your time to read!

Quote Originally Posted by giveusyourbones View Post
    Hey, I'm relatively new to the TCG (I've played casually for several months, but never competitively) and I figured since the rotation will be put into effect soon (I've read September 1st) now would be a good time to maybe try and prepare a deck of newer cards. Does anyone have any suggestions of what packs I should get? I understand that the new rotation will be BW-on, and I was wondering what specific packs I should buy (for example, Noble Victories, Next Destinies, or wait for Dragons Exalted to come out.) Thank you for taking your time to read!
    I've only just gotten into the game again myself after a few years' break, but if my researching of the current trends in play is anywhere near accurate, I'd say you would do well to concentrate on Dark Explorers and the impending Dragons Exalted. Cards like Darkrai EX, Dark Patch, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Altaria, Rescue Scarf, Big Cloak, and other assorted rares from these two sets appear to feature heavily in the competitive decks showing up.

I was just having a little thought myself, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask: is it just me or is finding Pokemon EX cards noticeably easier in BW-on than it was back in the RS era? Certainly the media about booster pulls will be weighted towards a high EX count, since most reported pulls will tend to be the ones people are particularly proud of, like the ones containing EXes, but I've also been uncharacteristically fortunate. Of the four booster packs I bought for the first time in years, two of them gave me EXes, one a considerably desirable one. Have the rates of super rare card distribution changed for the financial better of the consumers, or is this possibly an effect of having EXes be twice-featured in each set now, by virtue of the duplicate "FA" versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I've only just gotten into the game again myself after a few years' break, but if my researching of the current trends in play is anywhere near accurate, I'd say you would do well to concentrate on Dark Explorers and the impending Dragons Exalted. Cards like Darkrai EX, Dark Patch, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Altaria, Rescue Scarf, Big Cloak, and other assorted rares from these two sets appear to feature heavily in the competitive decks showing up.

I was just having a little thought myself, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask: is it just me or is finding Pokemon EX cards noticeably easier in BW-on than it was back in the RS era? Certainly the media about booster pulls will be weighted towards a high EX count, since most reported pulls will tend to be the ones people are particularly proud of, like the ones containing EXes, but I've also been uncharacteristically fortunate. Of the four booster packs I bought for the first time in years, two of them gave me EXes, one a considerably desirable one. Have the rates of super rare card distribution changed for the financial better of the consumers, or is this possibly an effect of having EXes be twice-featured in each set now, by virtue of the duplicate "FA" versions?
    I think its more of a luck thing really. I've opened maybe 20 after a new found love of the tcg and i have pulled 3 ex's (two were duplicates). But at the same time, i remember buying 3 packs in the states on my way home to canada in RS era and pulling chansey ex from one and a rayquaza ex from another. Not to mention a friend of mine having pulled one shaymin ex FA and a gigas ex with about 35 packs.

On a side note. I started playing the tcg game, yknow the old one for gameboy. And one of the articles talks about how you could use exeggutor to do up to 160 damage with his energies (20x attack). does this mean theres a rule to the amount of energy attached? or is it something the game is setting? If its an actual rule id like to pull it on zeels with mewtwo EX. :3

The only rule for energy is how many you can attach from you're hand per turn, other then that if you want to put all of the energy in you're deck onto one pokemon, that's okay.

EX cards for next destines and dark explorer's are at around 2-3 per box, the ratio for the new set dragons exalted is around 5-6 so it should be alot easier. Also with the mewtwo, darkrai, and rayquaza EX tins set to come out in the next while it should be easier to get a wider variety of EX's, just hang in there folks.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast