Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

Um, it WAS a clever strategy, and I don't see how Harley could have predicted it or guarded against it. He thought he had Squirtle on the ropes, and its previous attempt at Ice Beam had been unsuccessful. What was he supposed to do?
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

Plug that stupid turtle's pie hole with String Shot duh. Then it couldn't use Water Gun, Bubble or Ice Beam.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I m suprised that so many of you really thought that harley could win..I mean. THIS IS POKEMON. A bad guy would never win, why b*tch about it?
    The only problem I had with the squirtle/ariados fight was that squirtle beat it with only 2 attacks. it was to wuick at the end but the rest was okay.

The best part of this episode was really Jessie VS Harley and Jessie´s and Harley´s appeal part. Great! ^^ the spike neddle arm was so awesome.

oh did anybody noticed the guy who always ever enters a contest with may? after the appealing part he was in the second unseen battle and he was also her opponent in harley debut episode (the surskit guy). I was like 'not this guy again!!". Is he stalking may? ^^
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Harley, a bad guy? Not likely.

We have to assume that anyone "bad" in Pokemon is just "mean". Anyone "evil" is just "misunderstood". Anyone "associated with the devil" is just "mildly dark".
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

okay, a "mean guy" if you like that better.

He´s like butch & cassidy. more dangerous than TR, but not by much,sadly.

Yes, but Butch/Cassidy are criminals. They ARE bad guys.

Harley may be a nutcase, but he's not a criminal. Nothing he does is really "evil" so to speak.

But hating May is a crime. [/sarcasm]

well, he is a opponent who tries to cheat ( although he only seems to cheat when it comes down to may...he had a "hate-book" in his first episode but it seems he only hates may now...).

For small children who are the main target of this anime, harley IS evil because he tries to make may ( the Co-Star! omg!) loose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    Plug that stupid turtle's pie hole with String Shot duh. Then it couldn't use Water Gun, Bubble or Ice Beam.
    Or breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother
    Or breathe.
    What do you think the nose is for?

Bah, the only surprising aspect of this entire episode, was the fact that Wobbuffet was actually used to take part in a proper pokémon battle. That one seemed to come out of nowhere. Everything else sounds like pretty standard fare, and I can't say I'm dissapointed. It wasn't handled perfectly, but this is the sort of thing I 'm expecting from the Frontier saga now. Predictable outcomes with a few little shockers here and there. I don't get why people are getting so upset about it, we've has weeks of average stuff like this.

I'd have liked Harley to win and all, but I'm not really phased by the final result of the skirmish. Squirtle finally paid its dues and won its first battle, which could have been handled in the exact same way if another of Haruka's pokémon had taken part. The only factor that bothers me about Squirtle is the fact that its attacks and strategies are all out boring and redundant, and any other pokémon in Haruka's roster could essentially do pretty much everything it has done so far. Blah~

I'm just glad Ariados got some screentime, and that we got to see Harley again. But overall, it was all rather meh.

I love the pic of it flexing at the end. Its so cute. Can we make that an avatar please?
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

...I actually nearly cried at the last few minutes of the episode. I was so damned happy, watching May and Squirtle lose, showing how a young and inexperienced Pokemon shouldn't just be thrown into a Contest. Then May pulled a frikking Ash out of her a*s, and... I couldn't take it. I really couldn't. I was actually pulling my hair out in anguish.

Yes, I'm that upset right now. Upset that Harley lose AGAIN. Upset that SQUIRTLE beat him. Upset that Harley was beaten by an attack learnt the episode earlier.

It's come to a point where I want to hit someone.

Harley called Ariados 'Ariados-chan' at least twice. That's... something.

*cries*

Risk Alchemist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jynxo
    Not really. They asked if there were a 9th season AFTER the most recent season in America. That means it was phrased incorrectly. ¬¬

On topic: I hope Jessie keeps her haircut. XD
    let's not fight over my grammer and Lil Brother i'm a guy so ya know!

~Deoxys Lover~

Please forgive the number of caps but I really want people to take note of what I say here.

1. Has anyone stopped to think that Harley's Ariados was as much a factor in the result as May's Squirtle? I mean did the thing ever do anything except spray webs? It may have been skilled with its webs but it was NOT very powerful. Just look at Annie and Oakley's Ariados (well it belonged to one of them) in movie 5. Now THAT is a Ariados that can battle.

In other words this is NOT a repeat of Super Skitty. Super Skitty managed to beat a Dusclops that seemed pretty much invincible before that. This Ariados on the other hand NEVER showed itself to be that strong. Does that change the fact it was a boring and cheap battle that ended far too quickly? No. But it does mean Squirtle is not Super Skitty, for which I breathe a sigh of relief. ^_^

And don't tell me that because it was evolved ti had to have a good amount of skill. The anime has shown again and again that evolving is not always linked to strength. I mean look at that Charizard in a Hoso special that managed to get to its third form without knowing how to breathe fire or fly. It's evolving (and many others) was from life experience and time, not due to battle training. Of course ti got stronger but not the way a well-trained Pokemon does when it evolves.

That being said, I found the episode average in that the battles were boring. It had good parts but with the very limited moves pulled off by Squirtle and Ariados it just was not that interesting...

But next week's episode looks great!!! ^_^

P/S As for it beating a Crobat, I tend to think of it as just a random Pokemon thrown in with no thought as to how it could lose. Besides that, Brock's Crobat wasn't all that strong (not that it really ever battled). Since they evolve more from happiness not battle experience, being a third form evolution doesn't mean as much. Plus it sure looked small...
    Last edited by Pokemon Fan; 24th September 2005 at 3:43 AM.

May's Squirtle is young. It's hardly been in any battles. It suddenly learns a powerful and rather advanced for it's level attack in Ice Beam without any special training or battling experience.

Then it uses that attack against Ariadosu-chan to win the Contest. And how did it do that? May got the idea from Squirtle not being able to control the attack... how stupid and ironic is that?

Total, utter BS, regardless of how people try to suger-coat it.

Pokemon Fan, do me a favor, and never use "^_^" again.

And get mad. Curse. Flare some temper. Something.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    What do you think the nose is for?
    Well, let's have a spider toss webs into your throat and see how you can deal with it then.

Pokemon Fan, with all due respect, that's a load of bull. Zenigame pulled an ice beam out of it's ass the episode before the actual contest, and with no battling experience aside from being destroyed by Shuu's Flygon, is able to beat a tough, intimidating, and fully evolved foe.

And don't use the "evolution doesn't matter" arguement, because it has no bearing on this situation. Pokémon like Satoshi's Fushigidane were only able to be so awesome because they got a good amount of training. It took time. And experience. Haruka's Zenigame has neither. It should have lost.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    It took time. And experience. Haruka's Zenigame has neither. It should have lost.
    What it does have is spirit and personality and, as Jules Winnfield (played by Samuel L. Jackson) said in Pulp Fiction, "... personality goes a long way."...
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

Lovely May Guest

Squirtle is a next, magical pokemon. Is young but stronger than Crobat (it evolved two times) and Ariados! We love strong pokemon XD Think only, what will happen if Squirtle evolves? It will be a real POWER! Even legendary pokemon will lose against it. LOL

Honestly, episode was full of stupidy. May shouldn't win at all. I don't get it, why so little Squirtle could win against Crobat? Squirtle is much younger and weaker. It used tackle and Crobat fainted. Try to use Squirtle agaist Crobat in the game, you will lose.
    Of course, Harley lost. I can't belive it. Harley - who has only evolved pokemon - lost against little May who has only little sweet babies. Damn! He still loses against her stupid babies! Writers should think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzJazz
    What it does have is spirit and personality and, as Jules Winnfield (played by Samuel L. Jackson) said in Pulp Fiction, "... personality goes a long way."...
    Pokémon battling is about how strong the pokémon are, there's just no getting around that. Besides, it's personality is that of a small child that cries when it looses/gets hurt. If it were a focused and determined battler, then I could see your point. But it's not, and I don't.
    ~

Magi of all Guest

What really pisses me off is the randomness in the icebeam attack. Squirtle, a baby who doesn't deserve to be on the show, much less have a trainer, learned an attack that Snorunt(one of my favorite pokemon) couldn't learn till it evolved.

Thak you writers for thowing that bag of **** in our face

Squirtle actually is more uber than Super Skitty. Skitty took a while to learn Assist and Blizzard, whereas Squirtle pulled it out of its arse and has even less experience.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddiUrsa
    The only problem I had with the squirtle/ariados fight was that squirtle beat it with only 2 attacks. it was to wuick at the end but the rest was okay.
    3 attacks. Bubble, Ice Beam, and Tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanon
    It used tackle and Crobat fainted. Try to use Squirtle agaist Crobat in the game, you will lose.
    That was obviously the finishing move, there was clearly more to the battle since it was sped up so we could see the more important May vs Harley battle. And we all know that battles in the games are 100% different than battles in the anime. Don't even try to compare them.

I really don't understand why everyone's complaining about this episode. We all saw how badly Squirtle wanted to be in the contest. It tried and tried and tried, and finally pulled off a win. Yes it's young, but it's clearly quite brave. I love its personality.

And if Harley had won, it would've only stretched out the Battle Frontier saga more, resulting in more fillers that most people don't like, and causing more complaining.

Why the hell is it that everyone on here loves to complain so much? Why can't we be positive, and talk about the good things in the episode? I'll start:

-I'm really liking Lillian. She's really good at getting the audience going, she's enthusiastic and emotional, and I liked her bits of Engrish. ("It's showtime!"..."Are you ready?"..."Let's go!") She's a vast improvement over Vivian.

-Jessie's appeal with Cacnea was unique and imaginative. Too bad she ended up being carried off on a stretcher. XD

-FINALLY, Wobbuffet gets used in battle! Too bad Harley refused to do anything, because he knew it'd just get Countered or Mirror Coated. I like his solution to the problem though, to avoid them both losing, and the puppet-dancing was hilarious.

-That Ariados is quite skilled in using its webbing, although hopefully it's not as much of a one-trick pony if we see it next time.

-Everyone was complaining in the last episode about how May supposedly always gets Pokemon that instantly know moves, but we now see that Squirtle hasn't fully mastered Ice Beam yet. It has no problems actually using the move, but can't quite control its power yet. The force knocks it off its feet.

-Good job by May, using that control problem to her advantage to get out of the net and turn the tables on Ariados. She was at such a disadvantage points-wise before then, I thought she might lose. Most other young coordinators don't have the advantage May does of spending all their travelling time with two very experienced trainers. She's clearly learned a lot from them.
    Last edited by Geodude; 24th September 2005 at 4:09 PM.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast