Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

May may be a better *battler* than Harley, but is she a better trainer?

Squirtle won without any experience whatsoever. It did so by using a move learnt by no experience whatsoever.

May simply hasn't prepared anything or trained with Squirtle, or any of her new Pokemon like Gonbe. She simply didn't deserve to win.

Okay, was it me, but looking at the other contestants, did my eyes deceive me or was Kent (the guy with the surskit for the Izabe episode) one of the coordiantors they showed on the display!

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    Okay, was it me, but looking at the other contestants, did my eyes deceive me or was Kent (the guy with the surskit for the Izabe episode) one of the coordiantors they showed on the display!

yes, it was him. ( I mentioned it earlier in this thread ^^")
    The "kent" character model was in other episodes as well, I think he was in mid-end jotho too. He is a stalker, that´s for sure ^^
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

The most recent time I can think of when a villain prevailed was the Weather Station episode. That's about it...
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

see.... even though the good guys did win in the long run by helping to stop the Guraadon/Kaiouga crisis, Aqua and Magma Dan managed to snag several victories in the process. That's another reason why there's no excuse that Harley couldn't beat Haruka down a few times before she, most likely, upstages him at the next Grand Festival, again.

Also, what the hell was the rush? That's the same question I ask about the way the Saiyuu Tournament was copped out like it was, why the rush? They're making a ton of crappy filler episodes, the next generation of games aren't due out until next year, there are zero signs that they're ever going to adapt the Game Cube RPGs. You can't deny that this was a rush-job, because if they'd have taken their time, like they did throughout Houen, Zenigame obviously wouldn't have learned a new technique right away, lost, and then train in time to score a victory in a future contest. So really, just what are the writers trying to get out the way so badly?
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 27th September 2005 at 11:09 PM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    Indeed it was.

The boy with the Azurill from the same Contest was also shown on the screen.

reebas Guest

Bumba clot! I always thought squirtle was s***
    and harley is a f** who deserves to always lose

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    Are you talking about AG (in which you're correct). Or the entire Pokemon saga (in which you're dead wrong).
    The entire saga.

And they didn't always win and some episodes like in the St. Anne and Sabrina Sagas they ended on an uncertain note.
    That's because the St. Anne and Sabrina eps were THREE-PARTERS. They were all resolved in a happy way at the end.

And I was talking about your rules of battling in which tricking your opponent because they're an idiot is cheating. The mind games are half the fun.
    Playing mind-games by LYING to your opponent is unscrupulous and obviously not something that the anime is going to commend, especially considering that it is aimed at children.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    I imagine the writers mean to portray her as a better trainer. How realistic they made it is up for debate.

And a big part of the reason that May does better is not because her Pokemon are stronger or better trained, but because she manages to out-think Harley on the battlefield, by coming up with strategies that he can't counter. She's not quite so dumb after all, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    see.... even though the good guys did win in the long run by helping to stop the Guraadon/Kaiouga crisis, Aqua and Magma Dan managed to snag several victories in the process.
    I thought it was a matter of time before someone brought that up. You're quite right, and I'm not saying that the good guys can never ever lose anything. But the episodes in which TA and TM scored their victories usually contained some kind of compensating factor, so that the episode didn't end on a totally defeatist note. For example, in The Spheal Of Approval, Team Magma got away with the rock Captain Stern was studying, but a piece of it broke off while they were snatching it, so he was able to carry out his research all the same. An equivalent for Harley vs. May would be that Harley beats May, but in doing so, the Pokemon she was using evolves, and she's so happy about that that she doesn't mind losing so much. Or there's the old-fashioned 'he beats her but loses to one of her friends the next round' scenario. Something like that. That couldn't have happened in the Saffron contest because the only other co-ordinator there that May even knew was Jessie.

That's another reason why there's no excuse that Harley couldn't beat Haruka down a few times before she, most likely, upstages him at the next Grand Festival, again.
    See, that's probably the main reason why I don't get the complaints about Harley losing. It's more than likely that he and May are going to run into each other in a couple more contests before the Grand Festival anyway - who's to say he won't beat her in one of those? IMO if you're going to give him a win, it makes a lot more sense to have it occur closer to the Grand Festival, so that way, May can really start to get worried and doubt herself. If you have him thrash her right at the start of the season, that gives her plenty of time to get her confidence back, especially if she goes on to beat him in a later contest (which IS what would have happened. They're not going to have him win every time).
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

Perhaps the reason for a rush job is that they aren't going to do any 'filler contests' in which May loses to some trainer-of-the-day?

Harley will lose in upcoming Contests, because if they were going to have him win, it would have been in this Contest, where May was at her weakest.

Not only that, but the Contests coming up will more than likely focus on Shuu and new Coordinators. No room for little ol' Harley winning. >_>

I really hope the writers don't have May win EVERY contest this time. That would be pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    I really hope the writers don't have May win EVERY contest this time. That would be pathetic.
    Considering the amount of crappy fillers we're being lumbered with, I'd say that Ash will win every Facility, and May will win every Contest.

Maybe she'll lose one, but of course, that would have to be to Shuu.

Which would also be quite dull, since she's already lost against him 3 times. I'll never get why the writers favor to make more filler episodes than episodes that actually have to do with the main storyarcs.

Which would also be quite dull, since she's already lost against him 3 times. I'll never get why the writers favor to make more filler episodes than episodes that actually have to do with the main storyarcs.
    Lost against Shuu three times, and beaten Harley three times...

I bet that this pattern will continue throughout this already rather s*it season.

jynx Guest

Squirtle won without any experience whatsoever. It did so by using a move learnt by no experience whatsoever.

May simply hasn't prepared anything or trained with Squirtle, or any of her new Pokemon like Gonbe. She simply didn't deserve to win.
    She doesn't deserve to win in Pacifidlog neither!
    She should be beaten the first round by that Houndoom!!

Contest epis are getting rubbish!

What do y'all had against this episode ?

Why are ya'll complaining about May winnings ?

What is bad about Squirtle using ice beam ?

Is it the end of the world?

and why am I defending this episode, I never even saw it, but saw episode, I'm impatient when is come to waiting. They had Ash winning gym battle and they had him lose, but win in a rematch. They do have to show how may is improving on contestes. I'm impress the squritle had learn ice beam at a early stage and I thought that Harley was a girl at first

-_-

May 'winnings' means Harley loses. After being beaten twice before, myself and other people are NOT impressed.

So Harely lose a second time, poor guy lose to a baby squirtle Ha hahahahahah !
    sorry about that.

Don't worry Harley I'll sing you a song

Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,
    When you're chewing life's gristle,
    Don't grumble,
    Give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    And...

Alway look on the bright side of life
    *whiste*
    Alway look on the bright sidie of life
    *whiste*

So it a Monty Python song, Thought it could help.
    Last edited by P-fan; 29th September 2005 at 2:11 AM.

...Harley has lost three times. I said two times previously.

Repeat that mock of Harley and I would be forced to e-kill you.

the song or the first line ? Sorry about that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Porygandrew
    Perhaps the reason for a rush job is that they aren't going to do any 'filler contests' in which May loses to some trainer-of-the-day?
    That is possible. She only lost two in Hoenn, and the BF season is generally agreed to be only half the length of AG. But I hope she gets beaten at least once... although if it is only once, it might well be to Drew rather than Harley.

Harley will lose in upcoming Contests, because if they were going to have him win, it would have been in this Contest, where May was at her weakest.
    Oh, I don't know. I think that if Harley's going to beat May, it makes more sense to have it occur closer to the Grand Festival. If he wins now, and she just beats him later in the season, AND beats him again in the GF, as we know will probably happen, then where's the build-up of tension? It makes much more sense for him to lose now and turn up again a contest or two away from the end and thrash her, so that when it gets down to their final battle, May's a little bit more nervous.

In fact, him losing now to her smallest, weakest Pokemon could make for a pretty good set-up. The next time he sees May, she could have started to get a bit complacent, thinking that he's a pushover, only for him to wallop Combusken, her strongest. Or something like that.

Not only that, but the Contests coming up will more than likely focus on Shuu and new Coordinators. No room for little ol' Harley winning. >_>
    Well, I'm all for them focussing on Drew. But the BF opening suggests that Harley's going to be quite important this season. In fact, when you think about it, Drew's only appeared in one episode so far, not counting May thinking about him in the restaurant ep, while Harley's been in two. It wouldn't shock me if Drew and Harley got around equal screentime this time around. Especially because the writers almost seem to be making May and Drew into allies as often as rivals. Ever since the Wynaut ep, they've been teaming up to take care of Team Rocket/Harley/Team Rocket/Team Rocket an awful lot. Harley might be emphasised more to fill the gap.

Which would also be quite dull, since she's already lost against him 3 times.
    I don't think she'll lose to him more than once more this season. Maybe twice, but only if one of them is at the GF. They might have a few battles that are interrupted halfway through, of course...

Assuming May wins all her contests this region, she has 4 contests left.

How can they fill that time between Drew, Harley, and any new or returning coordinators otherwise?

I don't see Drew or Harley showing up at the rest of her contests one after the other, we're bound to see new coordinator rivals or maybe another returning one from Hoenn. (I'm hoping for Kelly).

How can they possibly make Harley seem like a threat and a real rival, if May is to win every contest this region? Also, there will be a hard time fitting Drew into the actual contests, since the writers won't allow May to beat him until the Grand Festival, so he'd have to be taken care of by a fellow coordinator. (Like in the Medicham or Rubello Contest eps) in order for her to win her ribbon.

I think the contest set-up is pretty much screwed this region, especially since this Kanto saga probably won't last more than a year.

I do NOT want to see May win every single contest this region, which is why I'm all for Harley or another coordinator beating her. The only problem is they got to work in the timeframe that D/P come out, unless they just shove a bunch of contests in at the end one after the other.

Omg.. Jessie's hair is so not Jessie! I want her old haircut back!

I can see May losing one contest this series (if she has five ribbons to win, and she has one between each of the frontier sites). Whether or not they'll be a GF is questionable.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Well, in AG, they more-or-less alternated between badge-contest-badge-contest, with Ash visiting eight gyms and May visiting seven contests, including the two she lost at. There are... seven Brains, right? One of whom is probably going to be a boss-type figure at the end, a la Drake in Orange. Which means that if Kanto sticks to the pattern, the gang will make pitstops at six facilities, and five contests. Which doesn't leave time for May to lose anything. O_o Jeez, I hope that isn't what happens.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast