Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

Im watching it right now and writing an ep guide..

JESSIE WONT STOP HUGGING CACNEA!!!!!!!!

Harley is an awesome co-ordinator
    EDIT:

it was an amazing episode! Harley realy should have won!

May is evil! Squirtle was scared like mad!

I love meowth's japanese voice! it sounds just like a cat

I loved Squirtle v Ariados

8.5/10
    Last edited by Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior; 1st October 2005 at 3:44 PM.
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Squirtlefan 1 Guest

I think that the fact that Squirtle learns Aurora beam was a cool part and it gives Ash's Squirtle a run 4 his money.

What is with the people ranting in two or three-lined posts about how its "impossible" for a Squirtle to beat an Ariados or a Skitty to beat a Houndoom? I think if the best argument you can offer for a rant is that one Pokemon is evolved and the other isn't, you really shouldn't bother posting it. FYI This post is not directed to those who posted various logical reasons for why it was wrong for Squirtle to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Squirtle won without any experience whatsoever. It did so by using a move learnt by no experience whatsoever.
    While I agree the ending of the episode was quite awful (see various previous posts of mine), I don't see the justification for this. Pokemon gain experience simply by living, and babies grow fast (compared to adults at least). Game comparisons are frowned upon but people are making them anyway in condemning the results so I'll make a more proper comparison. A Pokemon that is young/low-leveled and unevolved will grow MUCH faster than higher-leveled/more evolved Pokemon.

Squirtle was in few battles true, but even those few battles gave it experience, and in the anime the Pokemon gets experience even if it loses. Not to mention one of its few battles was against a very experienced Flygon. While I don't think using a level five Pokemon against a level forty Pokemon would result in the level five Pokemon growing four or five levels at once like in the games, I do think it had a positive effect.

But overall the writers gave Squirtle an awfully weak opponent. Ariados can't take hits in the game either but Harley's was awful in this regard. Just look at all the incredible stuff Ariados can do, Agility, Double Team, Dig, Night Shade, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Signal Beam, Fury Swipes just to name a few and Harley gets stuck with one that only makes good use of its webbing!!!

Thus what happened in the episode was fairly reasonable I think, but that doesn't change it was also an awful way to do the end of the contest. Still, we can all be happy that it wasn't as bad as Super Skitty's victory over Dusclops can't we?

<><><>

On another note one post mentioned how it didn't show why the webbing froze along with Ariados. Well it looked to me like the Ice Beam went all over the place and everything it touched would have been coated in ice. Of course, actually showing the icing process of every contact the beam made with the webbing would have probably multiplied the animation costs ten times or something.

Factory Head Noland Guest

I just finished watching this episode and I loved it.

I thought it was an excellent Pokemon Contest, one of the best we've seen so far. The appeals were great and so were the battles.
    I loved May's appeal with Combusken, the bandana thing was really unexpected and very smart, it was great to watch aswell.

Lol @ Harley's and Jessie's battle with the yellow cards, I thought it was unfair that Wobbuffet couldn't get to use a move but it was funny to see Ariados to use it as a puppet.

I agree with Pokemon fan up there ^ Ariados didn't use a great range of moves, I would have liked to have seen Sludge Bomb and Signal Beam used. Although I did really like Harley's style of battling with it. The Contest Hall looked really cool with all of the webs hanging for it.

Some people may disagree (but I don't care), Squirtle was great in the battle against Ariados. Just when we thought it was the end it had a great comeback. I thought it was funny when it slid down the web to get to Ariados.
    It was great to see Squirtle use Ice Beam aswell, May's Squirtle has quite a good range of attacks already and it's still only little. It's still so tiny and kawaii.

Great music aswell, "Advanced Adventure" was in there at the end which makes me happy and some earlier music which I love.

Overall - One hell of a great episode! There should be more like it.

Pokemon Fan, you seem to be disliking Ariados' (Only.) use of it's webbing and String Shot.

Well, it's that webbing and String Shot that beat Wobbuffet and got May down to a tiny sliver of her health. And they ain't even actual attacks.

We'll most likely see it use actual attacks in the Grand Festival or something, where it won't be able to cover the arena with Spider Web.

Just a thought, but was it really *fair* to give Jessie a Yellow Card? I mean, she *couldn't* attack, what with Wobbuffet not being able to. Could it be that Lillian has no bloody idea what she's doing and so didn't know about Wobbuffet's battling style?

Factory Head Noland Guest

Just a thought, but was it really *fair* to give Jessie a Yellow Card? I mean, she *couldn't* attack, what with Wobbuffet not being able to. Could it be that Lillian has no bloody idea what she's doing and so didn't know about Wobbuffet's battling style?
    I agree with you there, a yellow card should have been given to Harley only as he was the only Co-ordinator able to attack.
    Unless it's just rule that if neither Co-ordinator attacks then they get given a card, Jessie didn't have Wobbuffet use any attack (she could have had it use Mirror Coat or Counter just for the hell of it) so many it was fair?

Just another thought...

^ Harley got a yellow card, too.
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?

I loved this contest so much, all the appeals were greats and was hilarious the fight between Musashi and Harley

I saw very much dissapointing about Haruka´s victory but I actually liked it, even in the games a Squirtle can beat an Ariados that only uses Spider Web and String Shot, hey, Haruka did trained her Squirtle, I remember in "The Kingdom of Onix", "Psyduck´s Depression" and "Rival Confrontation!, Get Arcanine!" that Haruka was training it against Shuu, with Satoshi´s Phanpy and Team Rocket (the eternal punching bags) AND just before the combat against Ariados, Squirtle had beaten a Crobat, that´s a lot of experience, maybe not the experience that Pikachu got after electrifying a bunch of Spearows in a storm, but is something.
    Now, in a GBA POV, Squirtle´s victory was very plausible too:
    *Spider Web prevents switching but doesn´t hurts
    *String Shot lows speed but doesn´t hurts
    *Ice Beam is powerful and can freeze the opponent, a frozen opponent can´t attack
    *Bubble is a weak attack, but can lows speed, so the user can attack first next turn
    *And Tackle is just an attack
    Now, in the anime POV, there are another factors that also counts:
    *The strenght of shooting Ice Beam
    *Freezing the web makes it slippery using that fact on your advantage (Squirtle) or in disadvantage (Ariados)
    *A fall from such height always hurts
    Maybe Ariados could used String Shot to hang, but Harley did not made the command, that´s the disadvantage of being a loyal Pokémon (^_^)

Well, I hope too to see Haruka lost for once in Kanto Battle Frontier, but I think the one who will make that is gonna be Munchlax (I want to see the little thing doing something in battle) because the next appealing Pokémon is gonna be Squirtle

Pokemon Fan, you seem to be disliking Ariados' (Only.) use of it's webbing and String Shot.

Well, it's that webbing and String Shot that beat Wobbuffet and got May down to a tiny sliver of her health. And they ain't even actual attacks.
    Ahh but that status bar for the contest trainers is not a health bar but a points bar. Note that it can go down to zero even without the opponent being knocked out. Harley's Ariados made excellent use of its webbing to keep its opponent from performing well (which costs May points), but what Harley needed to do was also train it well in attacking, since that causes the foes' points even faster.

It's that type of unbalanced training that can give a Pokemon big weaknesses. Once Squirtle got past its webbing its as if Ariados had nothing to fall back on, much like Surge's Raichu was helpless once it could no longer land attacks on Pikachu.

Of course I'll bet this wasn't actually mentioned in the episode and it was all just stupid writing, but it makes sense to me dang it!

And for the record Ariados is one of my favorite Pokemon *cuddles giant six-legged spider*

wasn't Harley's Ariados moving in for the kill, so to speak, once Zenigame was completely helpless in its webbing? Harley does realize that attacking opponents causes them to lose more points, and Ariados would have some offensive skills likewise, but he needed a set-up so the opponent couldn't fight back and make him lose points as well. He knew very well what he was doing, but unfortunately, he had to suffer from bad writing that was apparent from the moment Zenigame used Ice Beam onwards.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

As soon as Squirtle fired off Ice Beam, Ariados was immobilised. Of course it couldn't fight back. After it unfroze it had the icy webbing to deal with; with no foothold, it still couldn't do anything. The ending of the battle happened so quickly, I can't think of a moment when it could have shot off an attack.

it could have shot off a web at any moment to keep it from falling. Sliding down a frozen web doesn't keep it from doing that.
    ~

It was struggling hard just to keep its footing. Shooting a web might have worked, but the right solution doesn't always occur when you're panicking. I've noticed that Harley tends to freeze (no pun intended) when the tide of a battle starts to turn against him. He usually opens with a strong offensive, but whenever May manages to deal some damage back, he gets flustered.
    Last edited by Jo-Jo; 25th June 2006 at 4:55 AM.

Just a moving notification due to the Whiscash ep being banned this is now in Advanced Battle

Volt Tackle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Jo
    But Harley only just caught Ariados, surely, or else he would have used it in the Grand Festival. It's probably not much more experienced than Squirtle. I'm not at surprised that May won. And at least she was in trouble for the first half of the battle - Harley got her down to less than half her points without taking a hit himself. Buuut I guess I should resign myself to the inevitable b*tch-fest from the May-haters all the same. Sigh. *goes to make popcorn*
    I'm not sure if it's pointed out before but the reason Harley didn't use Ariados in the Grand Festival because he lost to May in the first round. He didn't get a chance to use it.

What were the attacks Cacturne used in the appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by Volt Tackle
    I'm not sure if it's pointed out before but the reason Harley didn't use Ariados in the Grand Festival because he lost to May in the first round. He didn't get a chance to use it.
    That's a good point. But unless he was saving it up for a tough opponent, a la Drew's Flygon, then it's a bit strange that he didn't use it at all throughout the Festival. Cacturne and Banette did the appeals, too.

Three words for you: COOLEST CONTEST EVER!!

There isn't much better than Harley's Ariados getting schooled by May's Squirtle.
    Last edited by Water Master David; 2nd February 2006 at 10:05 AM.

This episode was awesome. It was funny when Jessie collapsed after Cacnea hugged her for too long. Another funny part was when Harley was having a blast playing around with Wobuffet.The part with May using her bandana in the 1st round was awesome. The TC was kind of cool. Just one question. When Harley had Squirtle on a Spider Web he had Ariados charge at Squirtle. Did I hear wrong or did he command his Ariados to use Double Edge?

I finally got to see why everyone hates Squirtle. That was the crappiest contest win I've ever seen (I thought it was the Eevee/Marshstomp battle). One attack killing 50% of your points?

Awesome! They kept the original music for May's final win! That's great. Dunno if they've been doing that for past contests since I haven't been following them, but at least it isn't the synthed crap that we've had to endure in the past.

Anyone else notice Jessie performed in this contest without cheating? First time I can remember she performed while following the rules.

Also, she didn't try to get revenge by threatning to steal the pokemon who beat her.

lol it was really funny when Empress Jessabella (Jessie) froze up from hugging Cacnea! And yes, Harley did say DOUBLE EDGE!

It seems the server is down for my Bronyland test results, but I am Applejack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudoku
    I finally got to see why everyone hates Squirtle. That was the crappiest contest win I've ever seen (I thought it was the Eevee/Marshstomp battle). One attack killing 50% of your points?
    Ariados got frozen solid by the Ice beam, what do you expect?

Aside from that, the rest of the Contest was excellent. Harley Vs. Jessie was one of the funniest parts of the episode.

I don't see why everyone complains about May's squirtle.. so what it is strong... some pokemon just are... Ash's pikachu is stronger then some as well when he first got it.

anyways.. I think Jessie had the best appeal IMO, the pin missle effect was great

Volt Tackle: Harley's appeal moves were cotton spore with needle arm..
    Last edited by halloweenghost; 24th June 2006 at 4:41 PM.

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

You know, I recorded the episode using my WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION! If you want a copy of the file, PM me with your email address. I'll send it over via email.

It seems the server is down for my Bronyland test results, but I am Applejack.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast