Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fear Factor Phony! (423)

This was really a nice episode, very sad and cute. I felt sorry for both sides of pokemon; the Ghosts had their home invaded, taken away, and excavated, and then when the good-for-nothing humans couldn't use the mine anymore, they ditched the Psychics who had helped them.

That Abra was one sad little fox-thing, it was left heartbroken and nobody cared. It's no wonder the Psychics trampled poor Wobby after he helped them, they were distrustful or something. And the Wobbufet and Kirlia thing was definitely sweet, even if it left my favorite Wobb-ship floundering helplessly before all but dying in the next episode. Bah, this is a good start for the season, anyway.

Spoiler:- Just me complaining...:

And as for the voices....

Ash's voice quality was about the same as before; there wasn't anything wrong like sounding too high-pitched or too Richie, so the only problem here is that it's different. Though it'll definitely take getting used to.

Brock, and I wasn't expecting this, but his voice was literally miles better that that MMOMP prevert-growl, and at times he sounded so much like Eric stuart that it was uncanny. There were still nasally moments that could use work, but overall it was fine. Good job, NewBrock.

James voice, sadly, fails. But...it does sound slightly less like Barney now, so I guess it could get more tolerable. Probably not fast enough for the next episode, though. D:

Jessie...gah, her voice was hard to place. The first lines were dead on, it could have been Lillis, but after that it went from being normal to being horribly screechy to Valley Girl and back again, but mostly screechy. Ehhh, there were lines that sounded good, and lines I couldn't stand, but it just didn't sound right overall. (And I'll admit I'm kinda biased, but this voice in particular was important to me.)

Max apparently assumed the role of Richie when people complained about Ash's voice>>

Granted, it *is* a younger Richie, but it's still bad.

May sounded SO much better than the apathetic thirty-something from before, and there's not much to complain about here. Maybe a little low-pitched at points, but it's mostly alright.

Meowth just didn't fit. The voice wasn't too awful, but the accent sounded very forced and unnatural and that killed it for me.

Wobbuffet...shouldn't really be mentioned here, but didn't it seem like Kazie Rogers was having an off-day or something? I dunno, maybe it was just me.
    Last edited by Ampris; 9th September 2006 at 3:48 AM.

I think this was a pretty good episode. I really like the new voices, they sure improved from the special. They did fine. ^^

I loved how Ash and co. helped the Psyhic Pokemon and Team Rocket helped the Ghost Pokemon. It was great. Yeah it was sad when Abra was dreaming about his family leaving him and his other friends. But it was cute that Wobbuffet got a crush. XD

But anyway this episode is great! What a great start from the team of PUSA.

I was happy when they kept the original music of the title card. That was a shock to me! I was like...YAY! They kept the music in! And the background music sounded like the Japanese version too in some scenes.
    goodbye~

To me May,Jessie,James,and Meowth sound just as good.

-Judai

Quote Originally Posted by Judai Yuki View Post
    To me May,Jessie,James,and Meowth sound just as good.

-Judai
    I totally agree with you there. I really liked their voices. Especially Jessie's. ^^ I think hers was dead on.
    goodbye~

ok i just saw the dub that was also the 1st time PUSA was in charge and i gotta say that i'm very happy with the way they handled it, cause they kept all the BGM intact, even the title screen music! horay for PUSA! and to those who hate the new voices rest assured that the good BGM should be enough to make up for it

Alright, I like all the voices except James, that was horrible IMO. But still, its only the first episode and his voice actor has a lot of time to get better.
    Last edited by Reece; 9th September 2006 at 5:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uncutpokemon View Post
    ok i just saw the dub that was also the 1st time PUSA was in charge and i gotta say that i'm very happy with the way they handled it, cause they kept all the BGM intact, even the title screen music! horay for PUSA! and to those who hate the new voices rest assured that the good BGM should be enough to make up for it
    Err...the title screen was really the only music they kept intact. I distinctly recall the music played on the phonograph being different. I wasn't paying to much attention to the overall score, though, so I can't accurately compare it to 4Kids' work.

But hey, they kept the text on the store signs unedited! WOOHOO!

This is the final episode of the BF filler run. The next episode (which I might add is one of the best in the series) is where BF starts getting really good.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by S.Suikun
    Err...the title screen was really the only music they kept intact. I distinctly recall the music played on the phonograph being different. I wasn't paying to much attention to the overall score, though, so I can't accurately compare it to 4Kids' work.

But hey, they kept the text on the store signs unedited! WOOHOO!
    You are probably right. I couldn't tell they kept the orignal background music. I didn't get to see this episode in Japanese, so I wouldn't know. But at least they kept the orignal title card music! That to me is great! ^^

Yeah, I think there wasn't any sign editing! YAY! Great job PUSA!
    goodbye~

i was glad they kept the opening thing with ash on picachu and it was an ok episode now for the voice review.

Ash: one of the best there it didn't sound girly at all (well ok a bit now and then) i was happy with this one it will take some time but its ok.
    Brock: also one of the better ones it still sounds like the VA is trying to force brocks voice though but i guess time will help.
    May: AHHHH one of the WORST it sounded nothing like may at all i dont think i will ever be able to get used to this one (maybe she was a bit off because she was scared the whole time but the regular parts were still way off).
    Max: The best i can barley tell a difference.
    Jessie: It was almost dead on i just miss the bit of whinyness in her voice.
    James: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO why why why his voice is way to low and he lost his high screech as well just in time for James episode next im very very disappointed.
    Meowth: well its ok sorta well not really. i will get used to it eventually but it just doesn't sound close enough.

well thats that i guess im just stuck with james and may and meowth.

People, can you try and discuss this episode based on its merits and not the voices. Discuss the voices in another thread. This thread is just for this episode

Meh, the episode idea made it seem like a classic Kanto filler. It had a decent plot, and showed the rarely seen Psychic pokemon. Meh, I could have done without the dancing.

Abra was very cute, though, and shed a new light on the persona of a normal Abra.

Equip 2: Coming soon to F117

Well this episode was okay (and because I have the say it) the voices really didn't bother me as much as the Mirage special (except for James). Anyways moving on. That part with the Abra being torn from the humans was just so sad for words (didn't cry) but very sad. Wobbuffet and Kirlia...Wobbeo and Kirliet?...Heh, just trying that bad boy out. Yeah, that was so cute and after suffering massive blows to the head, trampled by all of the psychic pokemon, as well as Pikachu, he still remains our perfect blue-blobbed idiot!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

I like these VA's better. At least they try to sound like the originals. Ash sounds a bit girly, and Team Rocket has nasal problems. other than that, it's good.
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

I had a lot of trouble enjoying this episode (since we can't talk about the voices here).
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

This was a cool episode. I really liked Sweet Baby James better but this was a cool debut episode for Battle Frontier. I kinda figured it was host Pokemon behind the whole ghost thing. It was cool that they threw a party for the psychic Pokemon. At the beginning of the show though, I was like "what`s up with team rocket?" because usually they run away from ghosts and danger but they battled the "illusion" ghost. But as the episode progressed, they were the same ole team rocket

that was a sweet episode! poor wobefette! it fell in love with kirlia, I liked the episode.
    Last edited by littlestchristian13; 9th September 2006 at 3:26 PM. Reason: can't talk about voices...

The episode was Terrible! They should give it back to 4Kids and get the old dubs back! The main characters necks even grew when they saw the ghosts! It was okay! It made me laugh so hard!!!
    Last edited by Latias74; 9th September 2006 at 3:33 PM.

I enjoyed this one alot... though I thought is was sad seeing the flashback of the towspeople leaving the psychic types behind and watching Abra run after them in tears

I don't know about you guys but the scene were the twerps were sleeping and may couldn't sleep, the phonograph music sounded creepy.. I would have been freaked if I were really in an abandoned house and heard that!
    Last edited by halloweenghost; 9th September 2006 at 4:46 PM.

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Quote Originally Posted by Latias74 View Post
    The main characters necks even grew when they saw the ghosts!
    And that has what to do with the dub? Your entire post contradicts itself.

Now, I know Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost, but still, it's odd that the gang kept referring to that giant fake Haunter as a "ghost" and never once mentioned Haunter's name. Still, a well-done episode.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post

Now, I know Haunter's Japanese name is Ghost, but still, it's odd that the gang kept referring to that giant fake Haunter as a "ghost" and never once mentioned Haunter's name. Still, a well-done episode.
    I thought that was odd too. If you listened carefully, you could actually hear the illusion saying "ghost" once or twice, like how a regular pokemon would say it's name.
    You never were there....but you never were here, either...
    This the Prince Manaphy, my bishie. *hugs*
    Thanks to Coronis for the Manaphy sprite and ~*SeijisSeviper*~ for the Anti-Manaphy!

This episode was okay. I liked how they had Abra Safeguard to keep sound away while it sleeped. I do remember something about it being able to use techniques while sleeping.

I know this shouldn't have anything to do with the new VA, but did May seem especially winy and annoying in this episode to anyone but me?

7/10.

So they replaced whatever they were dancing to in the original with a instrument-only version of the Dance of the Bellossom(or whatever it's called).
    Don't knock Dance of the Bellossom! It is my favorite movie music! At least they used movie music, when 4Kids cut it all out of other episodes. Be glad.

I really liked this episode, but I wondering too, why did the humans not give the psychic Pokemon a chance to join them instead of leaving them behind? From what I know, the miners didn't own the psychic Pokemon, they were "wild", but they helped the miners out, and yet they left them behind instead of putting them in Pokeballs.

Great episode, though.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR SOMETHING ELSE...

Hmm...

Ok, the episode itself was OK. I never saw the original, so I have no idea how PUSA did with the dubbing, though.

I know we're not supposed to discuss the voices, but... well, I'm surprised at how improved they were. *Way* better than in the Mirage episode.

I didn't really get why the townspeople left the Psychic Pokemon behind, either. I missed the first five minutes, though... geesh, I'm surprised they didn't have that one kid come, say something like, "Abra, I've come back for you! Will you forgive me?", and then end with them all being reunited...

I didn't notice that about calling it Ghost! That's weird!

The new opening seems OK to me... meh, I dunno. I like the song as much as the next Pokemon opening, but for some reason I don't like the video.

But gosh, the ending! Ugh, I'm gonna die! I thought that song was trash when they did the redub... PLEASE don't tell me that's permanent.

I'm surprised they used a different song for the ending, though.

The Wobuffet thing was funny.

All it all, 7/10.
    Last edited by SheWhoLovesPineapples; 9th September 2006 at 8:30 PM.
    Pearl Name: Aurora
    Friend Code: 2663 9162 0376

Just note that I suck at competitive battling.

IMO, all the voice actors were good but i didnt like any of the team rocket at all, i guess ill have to get use to they're voice but they have about 8 year until they get fired too so thats enough time for me and all you guys and girls to get use to them too right?

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Myuu the Ryuu*~ View Post
    I thought that was odd too. If you listened carefully, you could actually hear the illusion saying "ghost" once or twice, like how a regular pokemon would say it's name.
    Yeah, if you combine that with what I just said about its Japanese name, anyone who hasn't seen the Japanese version should be able to conclude that the illusion kept its Japanese voice. Abra also did in the flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoLovesPineapples View Post
    I didn't notice that about calling it Ghost! That's weird!
    They called it "a ghost", "that giant ghost", etc., not "Ghost". There is a difference.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast