Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fear Factor Phony! (423)

Well, I know that, but it's still weird... that they don't call it a Haunter.
    Pearl Name: Aurora
    Friend Code: 2663 9162 0376

Just note that I suck at competitive battling.

How is it 'weird' that they didn't relise the fake ghost thing resembled a Haunter? These are the same freaking kids who are stumped when Jessie puts on a pair of glasses

Don't doubt the amazing identity shrouding glasses.

Before I get to the episode itself, I'm just gonna get all the voice actor stuff out of the way right now...

Frankly, if I hadn't been told that there had been a change of cast, I don't think I would have known the difference. I really don't know what the heck everyone's gotten so worked up about - with the possible exception of May, everyone sounds almost identical to their old 4Kids voices. The only major difference I can detect is the fact that the PUSA cast knows how to emote. I haven't looked up who's doing what voice now, but whoever plays Ash has pretty much blown Veronica Taylor right out of the water by actually having him yell when he has to. When Jessie, James, and Meowth get riled up in this episode, they sound believably angry. When May cowers in fear, she sounds understandably frightened. I no longer get the impression of actors reading their lines offscreen while the characters move their mouths - for the first time in years, it actually feels like a properly acted cartoon.

Plus, that talk about how PUSA was going to fill in the gaps in the music score? That must have been scrapped at the last minute. Boy, was I relieved to hear sweet, sweet silence at select moments in this episode. There are times when the action doesn't need any musical accompaniment, and while 4Kids couldn't recognize that, I'm glad to see that PUSA does. The script seems better too - in addition to no longer having that dumbed down air about it, the scriptwriters took the opportunity to get a little clever here and there. As a classic rock fan, I particularly laughed at James' KISS reference. And in terms of digital paint, I'm happy to see that it appeared to be absent from this episode entirely - all the text was still on all the signs, and even though it's still that 4Kids-commissioned gibberish, at least PUSA didn't erase it under the assumption that actual text would be too challenging for children to comprehend.

One thing I noticed was that the episode was split into three acts instead of its usual two. I assume this is Cartoon Network's doing, since that's the same format that a lot of their other shows follow, but that means that the eyecatch is now completely gone. I didn't expect it to remain intact, really, but the fact that it also gets rid of the patronizingly erroneous Trainer's Choice is more of a blessing than I could hope for. Without a juvenile game during the commercial breaks, the show retains a little more dignity. Yeah, dignity - that's what PUSA is giving this show. It's a nice change of pace from the norm.

As for the episode itself, it's probably not the best way to start a season. It's a fairly average filler, with nothing really remarkable aside from Wobbuffet's infatuation with Kirlia (which I found hilarious, by the way). It comes to a rather predictable ending, too. Still, a filler is a filler, and I'm not one to dwell on stuff like this - I say, bring on the next episode. With 4Kids firmly out the door, I'm ready for it.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

That ghost does look like a Haunter, only a tiny bit different shade of purple. I like May, Ash and Meowth's new voices, but Max and James don't sound as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Frankly, if I hadn't been told that there had been a change of cast, I don't think I would have known the difference. I really don't know what the heck everyone's gotten so worked up about - with the possible exception of May, everyone sounds almost identical to their old 4Kids voices.
    Are you serious? Sure, many of the voices were pretty good imitations, but I don't see how it's possible to not tell the difference (unless you didn't watch the dub often).

The script seems better too - in addition to no longer having that dumbed down air about it, the scriptwriters took the opportunity to get a little clever here and there. As a classic rock fan, I particularly laughed at James' KISS reference.
    Y'know, 4Kids did put in their occasional outside references and mature, inside jokes at times.

One thing I noticed was that the episode was split into three acts instead of its usual two. I assume this is Cartoon Network's doing, since that's the same format that a lot of their other shows follow, but that means that the eyecatch is now completely gone. I didn't expect it to remain intact, really, but the fact that it also gets rid of the patronizingly erroneous Trainer's Choice is more of a blessing than I could hope for. Without a juvenile game during the commercial breaks, the show retains a little more dignity. Yeah, dignity - that's what PUSA is giving this show. It's a nice change of pace from the norm.
    KidsWB's Pokemon had three commercial breaks too, they just had their first one early on in the show. And while Trainer's Choice was rather immature for the older viewers, it did give the show some more originality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamex View Post
    Are you serious? Sure, many of the voices were pretty good imitations, but I don't see how it's possible to not tell the difference (unless you didn't watch the dub often).
    Actually, I don't. I swore off the 4Kids dub halfway through Season 7, and this is the first American episode I've watched since "Cruisin' for a Losin'". Still, I've heard more than my share of Taylor, Lillis, Stuart, and the gang over the years, and the PUSA crew is pretty darn close. Jessie, for instance, sounds virtually no different from her previous incarnation (which is nice, because hers was one of the voices I had the least amount of qualms with, even if it can't top Megumi Hayashibara's performance).

Quote Originally Posted by Kamex
    Y'know, 4Kids did put in their occasional outside references and mature, inside jokes at times.
    Yeah, I know, and it was one of the few things I got a kick out of in their episodes. They didn't have much else going for them, though.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

I have to say, if it hadn't been for Wobbie, this episode would have gotten a lower rating from me. The voices were really rough in this episode (at least in "Sweet Baby James" they started to sound better), and it distracted from the episode. I LOVE James's new voice, and I've gotten used to the new Ash (at least I'm no longer cracking up at it), Brock is MUCH better, and Jessie's still spot on. Everyone else was all over the place. Both May and Max sounded normal in some spots and abnormal in others. And Meowth was HORRID. At least in SBJ he sounds better. At least some of the pokemon sounded the same (Wobbuffet sounded only a little different, Chimie was the same, hypno was the same)

As for Wobbie, he was AWESOME in this episode. I loved how he fell for kirlia and fought to save her, that was so sweet. I liked how the twerps were touched by him giving a flower to kirlie too. It was funny when Team Rocket knocked him out of the way to get the other pokemon too. LOL On a different note, it was sad that this is Chimecho's last motto for the foreseeable future.

Overall, 6/10. Wobbuffet DEFINITELY made the episode.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

I wish 4kids had just done this episode in "Advanced Battle", or not had BF at all in Advanced Battle, because this was a horrible way to start off "a brand new Pokemon adventure!" With filler? Come on. This was one of the better filler episodes, but the fact remains, it's filler.

Sweet Baby James should have started off Battle Frontier.

Oh, well. PUSA had to dub this, and dub this they did. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I can't tell you how faithful it was. I will tell you I heard a piece of music I haven't heard since "Pokemon: I choose you!" It made me cry from the nostalgia.

All in all, it was good filler, but it was filler none the less.

7.5/10

I loathe the new song.
    Anyway, that notwithstanding, this episode felt a bit too unresolved to me--too many unfulfilled promises in too short a time period. The Ghost Pokemon get their peace and quiet, but are the Psychic Pokemon really happy in the end? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it. It feels more like they're dancing to try and convince themselves they're happy when they're not. And then the Wobbuffet and Kirlia story--so awesome, but the writers tossed it aside and trampled over it faster than the Psychic Pokemon over Wobbuffet itself.
    I do appreciate the attempt at complexity, but, again, they just tried to do too much in a single episode and it didn't quite work out.

How is it 'weird' that they didn't relise the fake ghost thing resembled a Haunter? These are the same freaking kids who are stumped when Jessie puts on a pair of glasses
    LOL good point!
    Pearl Name: Aurora
    Friend Code: 2663 9162 0376

Just note that I suck at competitive battling.

dogasu.bulbagarden.net

Comparisons up folks, get it while it's hot.

So what we have here is 4Kids Lite. The thing is about this whole thing how everything the "fighters" of 4Kids hatred are getting the EXACT same thing:

- Butchered Opening (god not even 4Kids Pokemon: World Was this bad)
    - Renaming Side Characters
    - Corny Lines
    - Mistakes (lol in "their" first special too)
    - REPLACED ALL MUSIC AND REMIXED 4KIDS CUES (please whatever who defends this as this was the main lolz 4Kids hate target).
    - Pun Titles

But I guess you get to keep the scribbles and text in the background if that really makes you feel that much better, and you get 4 seconds here and there added to the ending because there are no commerical bumps (Who's That Pokemon/ Trainer Choice/ Eye Catches). So ...what exactly was gained?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster Justin View Post
    So ...what exactly was gained?
    The satisfaction that 4Kids lost one of their biggest cash cows?

Ha-cha-cha!

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster Justin View Post
    dogasu.bulbagarden.net

Comparisons up folks, get it while it's hot.

So what we have here is 4Kids Lite. The thing is about this whole thing how everything the "fighters" of 4Kids hatred are getting the EXACT same thing:

- Butchered Opening (god not even 4Kids Pokemon: World Was this bad)
    - Renaming Side Characters
    - Corny Lines
    - Mistakes (lol in "their" first special too)
    - REPLACED ALL MUSIC AND REMIXED 4KIDS CUES (please whatever who defends this as this was the main lolz 4Kids hate target).
    - Pun Titles

But I guess you get to keep the scribbles and text in the background if that really makes you feel that much better, and you get 4 seconds here and there added to the ending because there are no commerical bumps (Who's That Pokemon/ Trainer Choice/ Eye Catches). So ...what exactly was gained?
    There was one mistake in that comparison, and it was this:
    "It's funny, really; I never knew that the word 'promise' meant 'an unidentified PUSA employee of unknown rank made what was probably an off-hand comment to a webmaster of a Pokémon fansite.' I guess Webster's has some revising to do."
    It wasn't stated in private, despite what Pokebeach said; you can actually hear in the Comicon panel recording he posted that it was publicly stated by Lawrence Neves, who works with PUSA and is the editorial director of Pokemon.com.

I didn't really like this episode. It felt to different, it felt like something was missing. That fake Haunter was just to weird. What was up with Meowth? "I wish I had a beagle this morning".
    Wobuffet was at least cute with Kirlia.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."-Jesus

Please help save the unborn! http://www.priestsforlife.org/

Okay wasn't that like the first episode? It got boring after the first 2 times they showed it. Oh, how I long for tomorrow for the next episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash's Pika Pal View Post
    What was up with Meowth? "I wish I had a beagle this morning".
    Not beagle, bagel.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

i don't like any of their voices in Battle Frontier that was a good episode though. Meowth's voice didn't seem to change to my point of view.

Aside from Ash, the majority of the voices sound very close to the originals.

It was a OK episode. I didn't really care to much for this.

Default Voice acts?

Hey Does the voice actors change in this episode?
        Spoiler:- ???:

Spoiler:- My fave pokemon:

Yup they sure do. You will eventually get use to them though.
    Proud Member Of The The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club! ( Co-Owner )
    Join The New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club!

[IMG]http://i4.*******.com/81jbbqx.png[/IMG]
    Credit Goes To Knight_Ram For This Trainer Card.

Xbox360 - Gamertag - Taniwha Ranger

I'm 20 seconds into this one... The new voices are a little cringe-worthy (May sounds more grown up and Brock sounds like he's gonna hit you).

I hope I get used to them...

This episode was great, but i think May's new voice was kind of cracky and she sounded really scared 0.o

~*Olivertwist*~
    [IMG]http://i25.*******.com/iz99n8.png[/IMG]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast