Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Team-Building and Hidden Power Guide

mmucha Guest

Why not? Hyperbeam is more powerful than anything in the standard move set. Yawn can put the other one to sleep, allowing you to focus punch and do more damage or heal yourself.

Plus I'm more of an ingame person.

Quote Originally Posted by mmuch
    you shouldn't have said that...

Hyperbeam is bad, even on Slaking, because Slaking is forced to stay in on the loafing turn as opposed to if it used Return and was able to be switched out. Additionally, that Slaking of yours can't touch Ghost pokemon.
    wideface the anime blog

(X'______')

Quote Originally Posted by mmucha
    Why not? Hyperbeam is more powerful than anything in the standard move set. Yawn can put the other one to sleep, allowing you to focus punch and do more damage or heal yourself.

Hello Breloom, Why dont you come in and Ohko me with your sky uppercut because i'm unable to switch and can do nothing about it.

Yawn Punching on Slaking is probably one of the silliest things that i have heard on this forum. 4 turns just to try and land 2 moves,one that only forces a switch into a defensive wall such as skarmory? no thanks.

even in-game Return> Hyperbeam

there are a few things that Hyperbeam can ohko that Return can't. However it just simply isn't worth not being able to switch. Switching is one of the main part of battling that and prediction.
    Last edited by Aaron; 10th April 2005 at 10:28 AM.

There was a huge thread by me about why hyper beam sucks, but that is dead now.

Return over one turn does 102.

Hyper beam average one turn with accuracy counted: 67.5

Yeah HB sucks.

colm Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    1. No two same-type damaging attacks on anything. It's pointless, redundant, and minimizes your options. Exceptions would be things like Endeavor, whose damage varies.

2. Recognize and appreciate the value of stat-raising and support moves such as Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Reflect, and so on. If you don't balance out your team with those types of moves, you'll probably get your butt kicked by a team that has them.

3. The typed held items, such as Mystic Water, suck. Don't waste your time with them. They only raise the power of attacks of their type by 10%, it's not worth it. Quick Claw also sucks, it only works 8% of the time. Again, not worth it.

4. For held items, you can't go wrong with Leftovers. I realize multiple Leftovers are hard to get without trading with other games and going through the battle tower lots, so Shell Bell is an acceptable alternative. Leftovers is always the best held item, unless your Poke has Rest, in which case the usual choice is Chesto Berry, or unless your Poke knows Thief or Covet, in which case don't have it hold anything.

5. Relying on legendaries on your team may be fun, and there's nothing really wrong with doing so, but don't claim to have any skill as a result of winning battles using them. Legendaries help you develop no skill whatsoever.

Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions, etc.
    When you say that Legendaries don't bolster skill, do you mean non- uber ones (such as the Regis) as well?
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 10th June 2005 at 11:49 PM.

That is a damn lie. All pokemon require skill to use. Ubers are not cheap, either. >.>

otto_venesaur Guest

Quote Originally Posted by May Ledian19
    IMO, Dig is better of a move then Eartthquake, because it lets your Pokemon hide underground for 1 turn and prevents any attacks from harimg the Pokemon (Except for Earthquake, maybe)

Here's a question: If your Pkmn used Dig, and while it was underground, the opponent used Earthquake, would Earthquake hit? Because I think I read on antoter site or in a book (Or maybe here) that it would.....
    No dig sucks, if you use dig you allow your apponet a turn to switch out either a flying pokemon or a pokemon with levitate, or your opponent may use earthquake and own you so no dig isn't a very good move

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Right, good point. But since not too many newbies care too much about that, I didn't include it. But we do have quite a long thread on the subject for those who want to learn.
    Can You PM me that link? I am currently demolishing my Emerald team for a better one.
    Current DP Scramble Chellenge:
    Bibarel LV 23
    Shiny Cherubi Lv 23
    Buizel lv 23
    Shiny Heracross Lv 23
    Loppunny Lv 23
    Going to Eterna
    Shinies Caught in this game: Zubat (Random Enconter) Cherubi (Soft reset) Heracross (Soft reset)

I can teach you right here if you want, no need to search through the whole damn thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Groudon80
    I can teach you right here if you want, no need to search through the whole damn thread.
    Thanks, but EV's are just a bunch of hidden Numbers to me...
    Current DP Scramble Chellenge:
    Bibarel LV 23
    Shiny Cherubi Lv 23
    Buizel lv 23
    Shiny Heracross Lv 23
    Loppunny Lv 23
    Going to Eterna
    Shinies Caught in this game: Zubat (Random Enconter) Cherubi (Soft reset) Heracross (Soft reset)

Quote Originally Posted by otto_venesaur
    No dig sucks, if you use dig you allow your apponet a turn to switch out either a flying pokemon or a pokemon with levitate, or your opponent may use earthquake and own you so no dig isn't a very good move
    also, magnitute works when the opponent is underground. i found that out in emerald. but no one uses magnitute in serious competitive teams. and earthquake and magnitude's power doubles. the only move that is acceptable like that if fly on pressure aerodactyl. but you still should just use the choice band set

Quote Originally Posted by Citolim
    Thanks, but EV's are just a bunch of hidden Numbers to me...
    I made a friggin' thread on EV's here the other day. It's around here somewhere... EV's are not that hard. You just look up the correct ones on a good website, then count them as the Whismur or Paras or whatever get slaughtered. If you mess up, just put it on Emerald and give it the berry that will lower the incorrect stat.

Dig is hit by Earthquake, Magnitude, and Fissure (hax 8D)
    Fly is hit by Gust, Whirlwind, Twister, and Thunder
    Dive is it by Surf

All those attacks get double damage if you're in the sky, underground, or underwater. :/
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2wh3vpw.png[/IMG]
    Thank you, SapphireL.

I can BREAK these cuffs!

but if Flygon uses dig Earthquake still doesn't effect it lol, as it floats while underground
    Hey unfaithful!

musics
    PM for B/W wi-fi battles. If you hack... don't bother, i'll still win.

One word. Skarmory. Skarmory is an excellent physical sponge, is resistant to 12 Types. It's weak to Fire/Electric but they're pretty rare. Speed could be better though, but that's your problem.

EDIT: What I meant was that It's rare to find good Electrics. Save Magneton/Zapdos.
    Last edited by Twitch; 11th September 2005 at 10:37 AM.

posting to agree with the above

electrics are pretty common though
    Hey unfaithful!

musics

Cooltrainer Yuri Guest

I dont like to use legendaries, I think thats more cool to use "normal" pokemons, but good ones, not like Nosepass

same thing with Mewtwo, it's one of the bests but... I think that it's a "Last Resorce" type of pkmn to win in a battle

Using Tactics is a lot more cool

Darkeggy Guest

Not all Legends are cheap. Read the other stickies. Mewtwos banned from Standard play, and for good reason.

SneasalSkissors Guest

Alright, I'm TOTALLY new to this whole tatics thing, usually I'm the one with the 3 Fire move Charizard, LOL. Anyhow, I'm trying to get started. With it.

I'm leaning twoards:
    Ampharos, w/Thunder B., Fire Punch, Toxic and Dynamic Punch.
    Gardenvoir as an annoyer, gotta love that Trace ability, excellent against Soundproof, Flygon etc. ^^ Not sure what moves though.
    I like Sableye, since it has such a coverance of moves, (Psychic, Dark, Ghost & Fighting) and I like the fact that it has few weaknesses, but how can I work around the low stats... that's the dilemma.

That's it thus far, I'm thinking of Scarmory, but a 4x weakness to electricity makes me wary, even though a Spikes/Roar combination looks exceedingly tempting. I suppose I need a decent Water type, and something as a Sponge or Tank, since I'm lost for defence. And a good physical attacker.... Help please?

Darkeggy Guest

Hi. Welcome to competitive pokemon(I feel like such a tool saying that : /).

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=57662

^Annoyers fail.^

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=35664

^General guide^

And Skarmory is a great physical wall. Poison immunity, Ground immunity, 140 Base defense, Spikes and Roar. If you sense a special attack coming, switch to a special wall, like Blissey.

Dragonhunter003 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Ownage
    Oh, so can I refer mantine or shuckle as a special sponge? Thanks anyway geodude.

Off topic : Woah, geodude is a moderator of Ru/Sa discussion and RMT section? Congratz, I didn't see that.

How about Umbreon it has very high special Defence and Denfence, Would it be considered a Sponge In general. It can also Heal if hatched with Wish.

Umbreon is usually used as a utility pokemon. There are basically 3 sets that are used: chaosbreon, cursebreon, and the wishpasser. Details can be found at Smogon.

Mantine's 4x weakness to Electricity kind of defeats the purpose of it being a Sp.Wall. Shuckle sucks in general and shouldn't be used.
    [IMG]http://*******.com/hwzg5f.png[/IMG]
    This awesome banner was made by Drayano
    Smogon|Battle Mountain
    Galbadia Hotel - a free video game music/manga/other junk download site

Chain sigs suck. If you believe this DON'T copy and paste this into your signature.

Dragonhunter003 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leafgreen386
    Umbreon is usually used as a utility pokemon. There are basically 3 sets that are used: chaosbreon, cursebreon, and the wishpasser. Details can be found at Smogon.

Mantine's 4x weakness to Electricity kind of defeats the purpose of it being a Sp.Wall. Shuckle sucks in general and shouldn't be used.

Ok thanks What would be a good Move set for Blissey? It does't matter if i have to breed to get the move

Aromapherapy/Thunder Wave/Seismic Toss/Softboiled
    Hey unfaithful!

musics

toxicshadows Guest

help me plan a good team with good moveset for my emerald(no ubers pls)
    (P.S I started with a treecko)

In-Game Team Rate
    not In-Game Give Me A team
    Hey unfaithful!

musics

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast