Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Web Design General Tips

Default Web Design General Tips

Anybody who has general advice to give to webmasters can post some here; anybody who needs general advice can read this.

Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about.

I'll post some of my own when I've finished revamping my webmaster tips section.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

My advice is,if you want to have an outstanding layout then learn a lot of HTML and create your own layout from scratch.Because it was made by you,you can put whatever you want in that layout.

Lissa explains a lot when it comes to HTML.

When you feel your ready to create your layout you can always go to Lissa Explains to see if you have all the HTML codings right.
    Last edited by ArteMagica; 23rd October 2005 at 6:24 PM.
    ~freelymew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Let me get this straight - you want to kill yourself because your favorite anime got new voice actors.
    Is there anywhere that I can go to secede from the planet?
    Come visit Imaginario Disfraz--my art website

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

It has pretty much all of the web languages on there. Learn CSS for a good layout and stuff. PHP comes in handy in other parts of your site (i.e. If you wanted to put a clock in)
    SPPF Christian Alliance Club
    Paired with the spiggin' awesome Saya

PC Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 (AM2 2.5 GHz) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 (1024MB PCI-E) | ASUS M4A78 PLUS | 4x 1 GB DDR2 667 | 320GB Seagate/80GB Hitachi SATA

"Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow."

Notepad > Frontpage

nuff said...

dreamweaver is okay too though

Shinies: Lots from chaining, several from SRing, a couple random ones. Just ask if you really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Leaf
    I suggest yuou stop playing pokemon right now, as it has clearly impaired your eyesight. Your inability to see the sticky topic withthe almost exact same title as this one just goes to prove that you are either staring at the screen for to long, or your excessive masturbation has actually lead to prepubescent blindness. My bets are on the former, but please, go see an optician now, before I have to warn you for being an idiot and reposting stuff because you don't bother to look before playing with the posting buttons.

nutter Guest

Post ...

Hi,

Undoubtedly, if you're new the whole web business, I would start out with something like Macromedia Dreamweaver. Sure, it's not teaching you the code (although you can have a look over it in Source mode), but it'll teach you the basic elements that make up a webpage, aswell as what looks good and what doesn't.

After a while, though, you *should* start to get frustrated with Dreamweaver and it's failure to pull off some things (if you're not frustrated, then you're not using it often enough :P). At this point, it's definately a good idea to slowly transfer the work you do from a graphical/point-and-click design environment (Dreamweaver, FrontPage etc) into a purely source-code development environment (a good editor being EditPlus).

This move will give you added functionality and the experience you'll need to get somewhere on the web in the future.

A lot of people advise that you learn HTML. This, though, is old technology. XHTML is its modern replacement, and is by far the more valuable to know. That said, there's very slight difference between HTML and XHTML, so if you're stuck back in the last millenium, it's never too late to change!

Exhibit A, an XHTML tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/xhtml_intro.asp

Eventually, as you gain a sound knowledge of XHTML, you can learn CSS and even Javascript to vastly improve the usability and style of your site - and look super-elite at the same time !

Exhibit B, a CSS tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

Obviously, as you long to create more attractive websites, it's integral you are reasonably proficiant with some sort of graphics software, like Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks.

PHP is also a language becoming increasingly more common on the internet. Its primary use is to provide a level of user/site interactivity - like members area logins, forums (this very forum was written in PHP), and rotating random quotes. It's really a lot of fun when you know it well (6 years and I'm still learning ).

Exhibit C, buy the following:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...588336-3290826

Anyhow - that's how I went about things, and it's worked out well for me - I do freelance work now and again which keeps my personal bank account nice and healthy :P!

Check out my latest work in progress, too, if you like (http://nutternet.com/lay_beta/), and feel free to PM me with any web-development questions you may have. Now, go learn.

Kind regards,
    James
    Last edited by nutter; 5th November 2005 at 9:11 PM.

(I would recommend using HTML for the time being instead of XHTML as it puts Internet Explorer in quirks mode and nothing supports MathML, XForms, and other reasons to even use XHTML in the first place)
    [20:54:24] Serebii: switching is cheap
    [20:54:42] Serebii: its as cheap as ubers

95% of Serebii.net does not understand competitive battling. If you're one of the 5% that do, then don't waste your time putting this in your sig - head straight to Smogon.

Remember, Serebii loves you

nutter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chaos on the internet
    (I would recommend using HTML for the time being instead of XHTML as it puts Internet Explorer in quirks mode and nothing supports MathML, XForms, and other reasons to even use XHTML in the first place)
    Hi,

I disagree. According to W3, XHTML is designed to replace, and is a stricter and cleaner version of, HTML. When using the XHTML 1.1 DTD, even IE should render the page strictly.

Regardless of the current situation, all the XHTML features will make it into future releases of popular browsers, so why learn HTML when you can do the exact same things in a language guaranteed to be supported and built upon in the future?

Kind regards,
    James

When using the XHTML 1.1 DTD, you are required to serve your HTML file as application/xhtml+xml which IE does not support at all. It won't even display on the screen, instead ask if you can download the file.

I'm all for web standards, but now is not the correct time to adopt this standard. HTML 4.01 Strict works just as fine for now, and triggers standard compliance mode in IE, unlike XHTML. Why even attempt to argue against this? You can do everything in HTML 4.01 Strict that you can in XHTML at the moment, except with better support from the most popular browser on the internet. There is a limit to where following 'cutting-edge' w3 standards is practical. XForms is designed to replace traditional HTML forms, but has no support at all. Why are you not attempting to adopt this?

You can be just as 'strict' as you wish with HTML, you don't need a barely supported doctype and some /'s after your tags to make your documents well formed. HTML 4.01 has been a standard for years and most likely will be for years to come.

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/no-xhtml.htm is a good list of reasons why you should use HTML 4.01, if you don't for some reason trust me.

or from mozilla.. http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-deve...aq.html#accept
    Last edited by chaos on the internet; 6th November 2005 at 6:16 AM.

95% of Serebii.net does not understand competitive battling. If you're one of the 5% that do, then don't waste your time putting this in your sig - head straight to Smogon.

nutter Guest

Default ...

Hi,

Ah - yes, I didn't think about the whole content-type issue. I had this problem earlier this year, so instead use text/html with my 1.1 documents. This doesn't annoy the validator, so myself and many others have no problem in using it, but it isn't strictly correct.

Despite the argument for HTML 4.01, though, I'll continue to use XHTML as I feel personally that going back to HTML would be a step backwards. Everything I create is tested thoroughly in FF/IE (Win/Mac)/Safari/Opera and validates correctly, so I don't see a problem in using it XHTML at the present time.

I guess people should just use whatever they feel more comfortable with, as there isn't fundamentally much of a difference between them.

My love for XHTML has been owned. Congratulations :P!

Kind regards,
    James
    Last edited by nutter; 6th November 2005 at 2:51 PM.

an_idiot_ Guest

if your being serious about something, which me and my mate are, get a book about it, chances are your just going to make a personal homepage, in which case you can just use an internet help site.

i dont reccomend trying to make a site like serebii.net untill you have experience, and money...

Quote Originally Posted by An Idiot (I concur with that name completely. :p)
    if your being serious about something, which me and my mate are, get a book about it, chances are your just going to make a personal homepage, in which case you can just use an internet help site.
    You don't need a book. I made my site from the crappy Neopets HTML guide and a sidebar template!

PC Specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 (AM2 2.5 GHz) | NVIDIA GeForce GTX480 (1024MB PCI-E) | ASUS M4A78 PLUS | 4x 1 GB DDR2 667 | 320GB Seagate/80GB Hitachi SATA

and it shows...

Quote Originally Posted by chaos on the internet
    and it shows...
    Some of us aren't as good as others if that was what you were getting at. >>

Another Good HTML Editor is Coffeecup HTML editor, you can download the free version Here!

I know it's been stated, but I'd like to reinforce the fact that if you're really serious about getting into web design then HTML should be the first thing you learn, not Dreamweaver, Frontpage or any of that (whether you intend to use Dreamweaver later or not - and after learning HTML you probably won't, although it is an option if it suits you more) . To really understand how a basic page works you need to know HTML. And trust me it is VERY beneficial to understand this. Not to mention that HTML is extremely simple and easy to learn. Upon first glance it may look somewhat complicated but once you understand the basics you start to realise it really isn't all the different from simple english.

I'd also like to say DON'T use templates. If you REALLY can't design a page yourself then even just black text, white background and all the defaults would be more respectable than using a template. Templates are a BIG no no on the web. I see a site with a template, I leave said site immediately...

*sigh*
    I DONT CARE ABOUT A STUPID LAYOUT!!!IF A SITE HAS A NICE LAYOUT, OK, IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!ID RATHER SEE A SITE WITH A BLANK PAGE WITH 100 COMICS ON IT THAN SEE A SITE WITH A NICE LAYOUT, BUT NOTHING ON IT!!!WHO CARES ABOUT LAYOUTS?I DONT!!!I HAVE A FREEWEBS TEMPLATE AND A BUNCH OF CONTENT!!!!DONT WORK ON YOUR LAYOUT!JUST HAVE SOMETHING FUNNY AND CONTENTY ON YOUR SITE!!!!

that is all^_^
    Come to...

Its my website all about Pokemon and Mario! PikaMario also has a forum and oekaki. We have over 40 comics! Over 20 stories!Over 15 interviews!We have other stuff too, like battles, puzzles, chat, even games!So if you want a good laugh, come to PikaMario!(Join the forum)
    Credit to myself for this awesome banner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Spoink
    *sigh*
    I DONT CARE ABOUT A STUPID LAYOUT!!!IF A SITE HAS A NICE LAYOUT, OK, IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!ID RATHER SEE A SITE WITH A BLANK PAGE WITH 100 COMICS ON IT THAN SEE A SITE WITH A NICE LAYOUT, BUT NOTHING ON IT!!!WHO CARES ABOUT LAYOUTS?I DONT!!!I HAVE A FREEWEBS TEMPLATE AND A BUNCH OF CONTENT!!!!DONT WORK ON YOUR LAYOUT!JUST HAVE SOMETHING FUNNY AND CONTENTY ON YOUR SITE!!!!

that is all^_^
    The layout is what grabs most people to look at the content.

Simple as that.
    ~ JKaizer ~
    PokePress

~ Paired with Jedi_Amara ~

meh, Content>Layout
    Come to...

Its my website all about Pokemon and Mario! PikaMario also has a forum and oekaki. We have over 40 comics! Over 20 stories!Over 15 interviews!We have other stuff too, like battles, puzzles, chat, even games!So if you want a good laugh, come to PikaMario!(Join the forum)
    Credit to myself for this awesome banner!!

But with a horrid layout, people won't even bother to look at the content.

I don't know about you guys, but when I see a site with a lime green background and red text, I don't even bother to try and read it. Not even if it's the best content around.
    ~ JKaizer ~
    PokePress

~ Paired with Jedi_Amara ~

Quote Originally Posted by JKaizer
    But with a horrid layout, people won't even bother to look at the content.

I don't know about you guys, but when I see a site with a lime green background and red text, I don't even bother to try and read it. Not even if it's the best content around.
    Nor do I, as if the layout/design is that bad, or uses a template ala Shiny Spoink, then I do not expect any quality of content considering the poor effort put into the layout/design. Plus I'd rather have something decent to look at while reading through huge blocks of text. Staring at something like blue on red is not easy on the eyes.

Shiny Spoink, it's easy to see why you think that content > design, but...

1. That's a matter of personal opinion.

2. Stop being so narrow minded, just because a site may have good content doesn't mean -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Spoink
    DONT WORK ON YOUR LAYOUT!
    Any DECENT site has not only good content, but a good design to back it up. A site with a bad layout is considered by most people to be a "newbie" site. I also hope you realise posting in all caps does not back up your "argument" in the slightest.

Oh... and it sounds to me by your childish rant that you're just jealous that you can't match other people's GOOD layouts and therefore have to resort to using a template .

And in your own words - "that is all ^_^".
    Last edited by Phaarix; 2nd April 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKaizer
    Can't agree more... I have a lime-green background (I think) and black text looks much better, than red. Red text is nearly always a bad idea.
    nostalgia

Not lime green, but pastel green I think you mean.
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

Serebii.net has a horrible atrocious design,and people don't care about that except a few webmasters like me. You guys don't really get it,a website can have the best layout around,and all the 404 pages in the world. People are doin g things backwords instead of forward. When you have great content,horrible layout. Bad content,great layout. People have to do both things to succesfully own a website.

I so agree.

Well except for the part about serebii's layout being horrible.
    It's my site, fear it.

Less than %.001 of all people on Serebii are named AgentChronon. If you are one of that %.001 percent, copy and paste this into your sig (started by AgentChronon)

Buoysel= awesome. It will always be that way. Forever. If you think you are a bigger Buoysel fan than me, PM me and I will correct you.

It's because SPP's layout is horrible,and most people already hate the layout even if the colors don't clash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast