Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding = lame...

Default Feeding = lame...

It's been revealed that the pokemon on your team actually get hungry and you'll have to ensure that they remain fed or else their HP will start to decrease. Personally, I'm not happy with this new feature in the games... anyone else got thoughts?
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

Ethereal Guest

Erm...How is it lame? You're a Pokemon, so you have to live and survive somehow. They're making the game more realistic, and I don't have a problem with it.

*Note that people have constantly whined to have the characters in Pokemon games eat food. That's ALL I'm gonna say on that one. ¬¬

LordGek Guest

This has been a staple in most of the Mysterious Dungeon games and I think is a KEY game mechanic! It really forces you to keep moving and exploring every nook and cranny for that rare bit of food that will keep your hero going. It often forces you to go down to the next level (where baddies are bound to be tougher) when you'd otherwise be perfectly comfortable to just sit on a single level indefinitely. Since the Pokemon actually already do have PPs for their moves perhaps this mechanic isn't as meaningful but I personally like how the Mysterious Dungeon series, while at times appearing simplistic, has a lot of clever things in its game mechanics to keep the player from over exploiting any loopholes.

E-S-P-E-O-N Guest

I like the idea of eating it makes it feel more realistic, but I don't know how much more realistic it can get when your a human that was turned into a pokemom. Oo

I thinbk that this is a good idea, but I hope that the characters dont get hungry while you are not playing, now that would be unfare. It is bad enough with nintendogs.
    Wanna chat? Just add me to your msn or AIM.
    I claim Brook/ Gentelman Skeleton in the Bishie thread (version 3.0)

LordGek Guest

If handled like the other Mysterious Dungeon games, you only need to worry about the active players (not folk back at base)...but then again you've never had to feed AI controlled teammates before so I'm curious if you really need to keep track of each member of the rescure force individually or if there is some sort of team hunger meter. Another clever bit behind the hunger deal was that its often FOOD that powered ring/amulet usage in the Mysterious Dungeon games. Like your hunger level for your hero would be at a constant rate (starts as a full belly/100 and goes down one unit every ten turns) but if you wear a powerful ring your belly would decrease even quicker. Maybe some hold items will also cause increased hunger making you have to decide if its really worth the risk to carry them when your food supply is low)

I guess it's understandable for Pokemon to get hungry and the need to feed them arises, but shouldn't it be the same for the trainer as well? And a lot of times in the Pokemon anime, the characters do need to eat and the threat of injury does arise for even the trainers themselves. That too should be included, since it would be a lot more realistic and challenging.

LordGek Guest

In the Pokemon: Mysterious Dungeon games there are no trainers so not sure where you are going there.

IN other games feeding is annoying and repetitive, hopefully this game doesn't follow the same pitfalls as other videogame franchises.

LordGek Guest

In the Mysterious Dungeon games this aspect could actually be pretty clever/fun. For example, you sometimes would come across some spoiled/tainted food that when eaten would temporarily give our hero some nasty status with its minor bit of hunger satiating. Since you can clearly see even before eating the bad food that it was tainted I initially would just ignore or toss out this spoiled food...but later I realized there are points, like when you're starving, even some tainted food is better than nothing. On the other side of this there was Elvish Bread or something like that in the Torneko games that not only would fully fill your belly but give you some random temporary special power (like being able to see all of the invisble creatures and traps on the level).

Poke Freak Guest

I've only played one mysterous dungeon-like game, Torneko the last hope, but I must say I think hunger isn't a bad idea. It's something which adds a slight more challenge to the game. And it's not like it's going to constantly kill you off, I only had problems with it a couple of times, and that was at the beggining of the game when I was new to it. Bring a few loaves of bread in when you can, and with the bread you'll most likely find you'll be find. And if worse comes to worse you could even eat some herbs, they don't restore as much hunger as bread, but they do have nice side effects. Well, they usually do at least. So I do think it's an ok idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    IN other games feeding is annoying and repetitive, hopefully this game doesn't follow the same pitfalls as other videogame franchises.
    Indeed, it just seems like an added hassle and I doubt it'll add anything positive to the gaming experience... I don't see how it could.

Well pokemon need food just like humans do.I think that the new feature does make sense.I mean if you don't feed them then they will starve to death.Pokemon depend on their masters like a pet does a human.They can't feed themselves by magic.I guess in this game your pet like knowlodge is really put to the test.The person you play may eat food too.
    ~freelymew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II View Post
    Let me get this straight - you want to kill yourself because your favorite anime got new voice actors.
    Is there anywhere that I can go to secede from the planet?
    Come visit Imaginario Disfraz--my art website

LordGek Guest

Food is definitely a big kludgey (sp?) device to simply keep you on the go and not loitering around on one safe area indefinitely. Would you prefer they called it "Space Energy" or "Oxygen Supply"?

I think this would be accutly pretty cool ^^ to me it would seem like pokemon are real because you get to feed them and stuffs ^.^ I hope the have some other differnt features on it that make it seem more realistic! ^.^

Banner and sprites made by the amazing Hakuryuu! Thanks! <3

I love you Dara <33

8/11/07

I agree with the thread starter, overall this is a stupid idea, I mean think about it. It's bad enough you have to worry about yada yada yada, etc, now food? I mean I know the downfalls of this from VR pet sites I vist.

What I doubt you're failing to understand is this is turning Pokemon, from a Role Playing Game, to a Stratigy/Virtual Pet system.

And 'Hey You Pikachu' showed how bad that could be.

So this means I am not getting the Dungeon games. I learned from an old Atari game that I and Stratigy games don't mix, why can't Pokemon stay simple, it's not so bad where you don't have to feed pokemon.

I just hope no other pokemon game gets this feature t_t

I could see this being neat/intriguing for the first few moments it is needed, but I bet it will become an awful nuisance later on as your party grows. However, I would like to see how exactly this system works: do the Pokemon constantly need food even if they don't engage in battle, or do they need it all the time even if you're just walking about the map? Either was, I hope the Pokemon's diets don't increase and the food is relatively inexpensive.

The Pokemon games have been fine in the past, I can't see why they had to add this feature. Sure, it's a different style of game for the Pokemon franchise, but surely they could've realised that it would've worked fine without the feeding... if it ain't broke, don't fix it and it certainly wasn't broken!

Poke Freak Guest

They didn't add the feeding thing to make it more relalistic, they added it because it's been in all other mysterous dungeon related games, and by golly this is one of them! They arn't fixing something that's not broken, they are just following tradition.

Geki Guest

That's awesome that you have to feed your Pokemon, I actually like the idea. But, when was this made official?

.::Whirling Ashes::. Guest

This idea is intriguing. I mean, it gives the game a whole new light! It's easy to forget that Pokemon in the game are equals to their trainers. I mean, they aren't just members of your party anymore...Now you've got mouths to feed! Also, you don't just have to buy Pokeballs, you buy Pokechow too...

I've always wanted to feed a Pokemon. I wonder if they like you better by you doing it? Interesting...

They seem to be intent on making the games ever more difficult. This is good, but if Emerald's difficulty is any indication of what's to come in D/P, then I'm not so sure. o_o

Still, feeding your Pokémon is an interesting concept that I definately want to try.

harderbetterfasterstronger
    bishie furukawa nagisa
    code geass || breakout

RangerD Guest

This is bad. D: So If I have one pet, I have one thing to feed. How about two, then? Six? Seven boxes full of pokémon? I don't think there'll even be that much food in the game. :/

Quote Originally Posted by RangerD
    This is bad. D: So If I have one pet, I have one thing to feed. How about two, then? Six? Seven boxes full of pokémon? I don't think there'll even be that much food in the game. :/
    Only "Active" Pokemon will get Hungry.

P.S Pokemon do not stay in Boxs this time.

I will change my sig after 100 people ask.
    Count:11

I was Stuffwell

Hmm, how many people haven't noticed that we are talking about Mysterious Dungeon instead of D/P? :\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast