• Physical atk is better

3 16.67%
  • Special atk is better

9 50.00%
  • They are equal or the same

6 33.33%

Thread: Special or Physical

Red face Special or Physical

Which attacking types do you think is better: special or physical?

I believe that physical attacking types are better in this gen because there seems to be more phys. attackers to choose from.

The general moves for a phys attacker is similar with each pokemon but most special attackers have limited movepools.

Also most used pokemon already have a naturally high sp. def. which can also be said about phys. def. but not at the same extent.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by xlucky08x; 6th June 2008 at 8:58 PM.
    ADD MEH

Platinium
    Friend Code
    3738 6730 6335

That is a really good question. I think that, especially in-game, they're both equally useful. A good team usually consists of pokemon that are capable of using both moves effectively, for instance, three specially oriented pokemon and three physically oriented pokemon.

Competitively, on the other hand, is a different story. Physical attackers seem to be more dominant there since special attackers are almost rendered useless by Blissey, but physical walls are not as prominent.

Claimed Pokemon: Slowbro
    Paired with: SuppYo

Competitively, on the other hand, is a different story. Physical attackers seem to be more dominant there since special attackers are almost rendered useless by Blissey, but physical walls are not as prominent.
    Second'd. Outside of calm mind special attackers can't boost their moves and get stopped 100% by Blissey. There are some physical attackers like Slaking and Machamp who can take down the premier physical wall Skarmory, and can even boost up with swords dance, guts, subrev/flail, choiceband, ect. Of course in DP it's a tie. Both sides of the spectrum are obnoxiously overpowered.

~~

Physical definitely has more uses competitively, and yet special is immune to Rough Skin, Cute Charm and Static (mostly... there may be some exceptions). Close, but I'm voting Physical.

Snubbull image taken from Arkeis.
    Current Shinies:
    Previously Owned Shinies:

I've always liked Special better. Of course, they have to deal with ever-prevalent Blissey as well as less-used Regice and friends, and the Swords Dance is so much more prevalent than Tail Glow (later Nasty Plot too), but... I still like them =P

this is me on sppf most of the time. so don't send me small questions. send them to kreis :)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

"Lets get Physical, Physical"

I pick Special because well there are more
    [img]http://i43.*******.com/21exeg2.png[/img]

Credit to zhanton for Banner
    FC (Blaze): 4082-6986-3403

i prefer special attacks. there seems to be more variety of them that are useful on one poke (ie sceptile with t-punch, d-claw and l-blade) and they are just all around cooler

i prefer special attack as most pokemon with good physical attacks are slow and have low sp def which is really bad since their weakness are usually special attacks golem, armaldo, rhydon are some examples. common special attacks also have more variety than physical. surf, thunderbolt, flamethrower, psychic, icebeam are some of them in the long list of common special attacks but how about physical? the really common ones i can think of are only earthquake and rockslide(return, brick break and aerial ace too but they arent really that common)

I don't know which one is best, on an absolute scale. Of course, each can be better depending of the situation. Most of my experience going through the storyline in the game seems to indicate that special is better. In competitive battling, however, the group you battle is different then that of the storyline. So I guess that, overall, the two are probably about equal.

Another thing is that, at least in third gen, the only thing water types are weak against are special attacks.

Personally though, I've always prefered special over physical, probably because I like psychic due to Mewtwo (and the other psychics from 1st gen), and psychic is special.

I chose Special. There are too many physical Pokemon. Also, I have more luck with more special-oriented Pokemon anyways.

I chose Special. There are too many physical Pokemon. Also, I have more luck with more special-oriented Pokemon anyways.

Both physical and special attacks are equal for me.

Dokichan is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

It's easier to wall Special Pokemon, so I'd say Physical is better.