Thread: Pokemon Classifications

Default Pokemon Classifications

I don't think anyone has made this thread before, so... I was wondering, how can some pokemon have animal classifications if there are no animals in the "Pokemon World"? For Example, Pikachu is the electric mouse pokemon, how?! there is no such thing as a rat in the "Pokemon World"!!! The same thing happens with Ekans, Caterpie, Rattata and many others... what do you think?!

[WHATCHA]
    [TALKIN']
    ['BOUT]
    [MAN?]

Blastoiseman Guest

I always wondered that, like there is a HUGE ocean in the pokemon world, but not that many water pokemon. Are there any like normal fish, or even like a normal bug like a butterfly(not a huge butterfree). Would they have like normal dogs and cats too, not growlithe or meowth.

Not many water Pokemon? What are you smoking? O_O

I have this theory that Pokemon live in a secluded archipeligo (spelled wrong, shut up). This cluster of islands give off some sort of radiation which has mutated the fauna there, and over time, they became Pokemon. Humans discovered and colonized these islands. Humans brought their own animals with them of course, but these outsiders could not compete with the Pokemon, and quickly died off. There's still "regular" animals elsewhere, just not in Pokemon world. Probably the younger folk will never see a regular animal, just like how we'll never see a living dinosaur.

I think there was an old Pokemon episode can't remember which one. I think it was the st. Anne episodes and I remember reading that someone saw on that episode normal fish so maybe there are normal animals in the world aswell as Pokemon. I mean they have the similar kind of food the Japanese eat and aren't the Japanese big fish eaters. So I can't work out how you can get the same sort of fish you'd get from a normal fish from a Goldeen or something. So there must be normal animals. Maybe the normal animals are scared off by the Pokemon so that's why we don't see any. Pokemon are a bit more dangerous.

Put together by me.

To me, the philosophy is: Pokemon are the Pokemon World's animals.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

I've often wondered that. But i've come with a mind boggling thought. What if they do eat pidgey and farfetch. They could eat Octillary. I mean, when you saw them eat fish in the first episodes you didn't know what kind it was. I mean, there were more than just 150 pokemon then. Johto wasn't dicovered it's always been there and so has Hoenn. They imoport Clamperl and torchic and all those birds. Torchic is chicken.

SO, they do eat pokemon.

The pokemon are the animals. It's reversed from our world. Instead of cats, they have skitty and meowth. Pokemon are the animals.

As always, Run Taylor Save That TREE!
    ~*Pair- Typhlogirl*~
    [CENTER]
    *~Currently Reading TWILIGHT!~*

PikaPika Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Power of Pika
    I think there was an old Pokemon episode can't remember which one. I think it was the st. Anne episodes and I remember reading that someone saw on that episode normal fish so maybe there are normal animals in the world aswell as Pokemon. I mean they have the similar kind of food the Japanese eat and aren't the Japanese big fish eaters. So I can't work out how you can get the same sort of fish you'd get from a normal fish from a Goldeen or something. So there must be normal animals. Maybe the normal animals are scared off by the Pokemon so that's why we don't see any. Pokemon are a bit more dangerous.
    I agree, The Power of Pika. The episode you were reffering to was the episode when Ash, Brock and Misty were aboard the St. Anne and had just realized that it sunk. Ash looked out the window and saw normal fish. He then realized that they were underwater.

There are animals in the Pokemon world, they're just never shown. What do you think they eat? A Miltank? :/
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

They eat miltank,goodness, they drink their milk. SO, I
    find it natural that they would consume miltank. Kind of an
    icky thought, but it seems natural.

I doubt that there are any actual animals in the pokemon world.

As always. Run Taylor Save That TREE!
    ~*Pair- Typhlogirl*~
    [CENTER]
    *~Currently Reading TWILIGHT!~*

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus
    They eat miltank,goodness, they drink their milk. SO, I
    find it natural that they would consume miltank. Kind of an
    icky thought, but it seems natural.

I doubt that there are any actual animals in the pokemon world.

As always. Run Taylor Save That TREE!
    Fish were shown dozens of times in the anime, so it's safe to say all animals live in the pokemon, they're just not shown.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

once I saw a gastly turn itself into a mongoose when confronted with TR's ekans/arbok (cant remember which). this is, of course, long before zangoose.

(Heres my request thread, but it's closed. Some more of my art here and here.)

The Shadow Puff Girls

I'd just say that those are general classifications like Dog Pokemon means something that is similar to Growlithe, Arcanine, Houndoom, Houndour, Mightyena and Poochyena. For some that is others it is harder to do. Still, I will not accept animals and pokemon in the same world. Not even if the game and many other forms of canon prove it.
    [IMG]http://i11.*******.com/6ez4ig2.jpg[/IMG]

Fizzy Bubbles Information

Quote Originally Posted by Flygonzilla
    once I saw a gastly turn itself into a mongoose when confronted with TR's ekans/arbok (cant remember which). this is, of course, long before zangoose.
    Gastly didn't "turn" itself into a mongoose, it was just an illusion, but that does explain that there are animals in the Pokemon World, since how would they know mongooses if they don't exist?
    I'd just say that those are general classifications like Dog Pokemon means something that is similar to Growlithe, Arcanine, Houndoom, Houndour, Mightyena and Poochyena. For some that is others it is harder to do. Still, I will not accept animals and pokemon in the same world. Not even if the game and many other forms of canon prove it.
    Oh really?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ep016_fish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...20_mangust.jpg

.....I rest my case.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi
    Gastly didn't "turn" itself into a mongoose, it was just an illusion, but that does explain that there are animals in the Pokemon World, since how would they know mongooses if they don't exist?

Oh really?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ep016_fish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...20_mangust.jpg

.....I rest my case.
    Satoshi PWNED you.

But I think that there are animals in the Pokemon World. Case in point the pictures above. So...yeah.
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

There's another reference to a real animal in the anime. Anyone remember that one episode where a bunch of Clefairies were stealing stuff and taking it to their spaceship? A chef in that episode said that the Clefairies stole his chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Iveechan
    I have this theory that Pokemon live in a secluded archipeligo (spelled wrong, shut up). This cluster of islands give off some sort of radiation which has mutated the fauna there, and over time, they became Pokemon. Humans discovered and colonized these islands. Humans brought their own animals with them of course, but these outsiders could not compete with the Pokemon, and quickly died off. There's still "regular" animals elsewhere, just not in Pokemon world. Probably the younger folk will never see a regular animal, just like how we'll never see a living dinosaur.
    my theory is simlair to Iveechan's except that rather then the pokemon world being just an archipelago, it's an entire planet. All the landmasses are shaped like the islands of Japan, only on a much larger scale, about as big as continents.

So where did the Humans come from?

from Space, the humans originally came from space.

In the planet's distant past, visitors from another planet came to the current one for an unknown reason. They set up a colony on the planet and brought their technology with it, the visitors was at very cruel, to the native creatures, the pokemon, who lived in peaceful harmony on the planet before they came, and even to their own kind, as they constantly did genetic experiments on themselves as well as pokemon.

then for some unknown reason. The visitors were abandoned, probably by their homeworld. With it, almost all of their advanced technology was lost, especially space travel. The only bits and pieces their once very advanced technology survived, such as pokeball technology and matter transportation. With the help of ancient pokemon, the visitors took up residence in the pokemon world.

Eons passed, The decsendents of the space vistors now live in a the world full of strange creatures, with technology they don't even understand completely, information with no known origin, and no idea about their true origin...
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

doesnt ash eat steak or pork chops at some strangers house???

(does that mean grumpigs and miltanks are being killed???!!!!)

ahh i think they dont have animals, pokemon tactically are the animals

I don't care about the anime whatsoever. So, yes that is proof of animals in the anime. Woopdido! I don't care. That was mean, you know. Treating me like ****. God.

And do not bring up the pokedex entries either, okay? I know Raichu's mention elephants, so what? In a fictional universe I can make things like I want them. If you believe everything pokemon canon spews out you'll get a mess where magmars' bodies are 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit and nobody knows how a diglett's lower body looks.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKeckleon
    my theory is simlair to Iveechan's except that rather then the pokemon world being just an archipelago, it's an entire planet. All the landmasses are shaped like the islands of Japan, only on a much larger scale, about as big as continents.

So where did the Humans come from?

from Space, the humans originally came from space.

In the planet's distant past, visitors from another planet came to the current one for an unknown reason. They set up a colony on the planet and brought their technology with it, the visitors was at very cruel, to the native creatures, the pokemon, who lived in peaceful harmony on the planet before they came, and even to their own kind, as they constantly did genetic experiments on themselves as well as pokemon.

then for some unknown reason. The visitors were abandoned, probably by their homeworld. With it, almost all of their advanced technology was lost, especially space travel. The only bits and pieces their once very advanced technology survived, such as pokeball technology and matter transportation. With the help of ancient pokemon, the visitors took up residence in the pokemon world.

Eons passed, The decsendents of the space vistors now live in a the world full of strange creatures, with technology they don't even understand completely, information with no known origin, and no idea about their true origin...
    someone in the johto region said that before there were metal pokeballs, everyone used apricorns. If there was lots of advanced technology early on, they'd just use metal ones right...?

the fat guy in front of OAK's lab talks about Bill the inventor of a storage system, and Bill is still alive and well. So the matter transportation (I thought you meant the storage system) is a recent invention.
    Last edited by Flygonzilla; 5th November 2005 at 12:26 PM.

(Heres my request thread, but it's closed. Some more of my art here and here.)

The Shadow Puff Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Another Fan
    I don't care about the anime whatsoever. So, yes that is proof of animals in the anime. Woopdido! I don't care. That was mean, you know. Treating me like ****. God.

And do not bring up the pokedex entries either, okay? I know Raichu's mention elephants, so what? In a fictional universe I can make things like I want them. If you believe everything pokemon canon spews out you'll get a mess where magmars' bodies are 2,200 degrees Fahrenheit and nobody knows how a diglett's lower body looks.
    How am I being mean? I was just pointing out that there are, in fact, animals in the Pokemon world. Sheesh. No need to get dramatic.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 5th November 2005 at 5:34 PM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Flygonzilla
    someone in the johto region said that before there were metal pokeballs, everyone used apricorns. If there was lots of advanced technology early on, they'd just use metal ones right...?
    maybe they didn't have enough metal to make a full metal pokeball, so they had to use the available items on hand... apricorns... then again, we have no idea about what makes a pokeball and such.

the fat guy in front of OAK's lab talks about Bill the inventor of a storage system, and Bill is still alive and well. So the matter transportation (I thought you meant the storage system) is a recent invention.
    true, but maybe this recent invention is not entirely new, but who knows really...

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi
    How am I being mean? I was just pointing out that there are, in fact, animals in the Pokemon world. Sheesh. No need to get dramatic.
    Not necessarily. I believed you were mean because I interpreted that as a very sarcastic remark as if mocking the fact that my theory isn't based on canon and it is just pointing out the obvious and you being an annoying pest and thinking you just proved this newbie wrong makes you so great. But that is how I interpreted your post. I'm not saying you meant it like that.

Also, it bugs me that everyone assumes that if you are on a pokemon board you watch that anime. I couldn't care less about the thing.

I think there might be another thread on this somewhere... or maybe just on what the main topic of discussion seems to be here, as it started as being about the classifications

For the animé, real animals have turned up on more than one occasion, and I find it hard to believe that people would eat the pokemon there, yet they often seem to have chicken, fish and porkchops (?) Overall, I also don't see how humans would how evolved from pokemon; I think it's more likely to be something like several other people suggested, about humans coming from outer space. Perhaps it is just metaphorical, but in the game they also talk alot about "a whole world full of pokemon" implying the whole planet.

As for the classifications... most of them aren't actually animal related. I theorise that the names might have come from labels that people gave to the pokemon (like as if they were an alien type of lifeform?) and the classifications are clarifications/descriptions.

Example: Fred! I just saw one of those...uh..."Nidoran"!
    - Is that that poison pin pokemon?
    - Oh, come to think of it, no, it must of been...the mouse one; but not electric.
    - Oh! you mean a "sandshrew"!

Maybe some of the names are animal based because humans knew of animals before (consistent with the theory that they came to the pokemon world from another planet) and classified them as they ressembled creatures they knew

then can you explain how nearly every pokemon only speaks the name given to them by people?

mind you, your theory on how people gave names to pokemon would definately make sense, but how does one explain that they only speak the name given to them by people?

they only speak their name in the anim&#233; (I think). In the game, they just have regular grunts, squeaks and roars.