Thread: Long mangas or short mangas?

Default Long mangas or short mangas?

Would you prefer to buy a manga that, in total, only has a few volumes or a manga that has many volumes, like those 20 or 30 volumes? I'd personally like a manga that is long because if the story is really cool, I wouldn't want it to end quickly. Of course, if it lasted too long and the story wasn't really going anywhere and it was boring, I'd then want it to end. But what do you guys think?
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Kokukirin Guest

Length does not matter. There are some excellent short mangas like Sakuratetsu Taiwahen (2 vols) and Level E (3 vols), and excellent long mangas like Dragonball (42 vols?) and Rurouni Kenshin (28 vols). Long manga does not necessary be better than short ones, and vice versa.

Personally though, I prefer manga under 25 vols...

I prefer short mangas and animes. They're usually better done, and more profound, since they don't get watered down through out a long run, or lose sight of what they were all about. Plus, seeing the same thing again and again gets really grating. *coughdrabonballcough*

Not to mention the cost factor.

Depends on the series, but I like long manga that keeps the plot up and stays fresh and interesting. Dragonball does this for most of its 42 volumes, although it starts to lose steam toward the end when things just feel rushed. Naruto currently holds my interest, and so does One Piece.

BlackCat Guest

It doesn't matter to me, although most of the ones I like are very long. O.o I hate short anime though, it always ends badly. It never feels closed.

Length doesn't really matter to me. I usually buy series with at least five volumes, but it isn't a rule of mine. :P

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

me either. Length is not a factor. I like long and short manga(s). Berserk or Golgo 13 being an example of a long series and Zombie Powder or Pilgrim Jagar being a short one.

AnimeFreakOfNature Guest

I like both , I like a good story but then I also like the short ones too :3 im easy to please

I'm not fussed, as long as their good, I will continue to buy them, I like both long and short manga ^_^

Length doesn't matter to me, but really how the length is used. Some manga series can be short but the way it is done in the short run can make it greater than a manga series that is long as hell and isn't executed as properly.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

I like both short and long manga, but I prefer long manga because more time allows it to develop a better, more exciting plot. ^^
    Twin/Little sister—Lil Crickee

Long mangas. You can really get into long mangas. The occasional short one like Instant Teen: Just add Nuts (4 vols) is all right for a break from longer ones but long mangas have a bigger impact on the reader.
    Goodbye, everyone! I have left this forum because I keep having problems with the pages loading...
    Find me at saiyanisland, Brand New Breeze, and Deviantart.
    Azuma stays in my signature because he is win. =D
    READ LA CORDA D'ORO AND MY HEAVENLY HOCKEY CLUB!!!!!!! SAYONARA!!!!

I really like both...

Short Mangas: In this, you learn about the characters well, but not too deep for it to become kind of annoying. They don't drag on the conflict for very long and the end comes at a kind pace that you love it so much and don't want it to end. For me...that's Gravitation, which was only 13 volumes.

Long Mangas: Sometimes I prefer long series because of the fact that I really get into the characters lives and I don't want the series to end. I feel compelled to write more about them. But if it drags on with filler chapters and dragged on storyline...*coughinuyashacough* Then it does get really annoying. As long as it dives deep and is really intriguing, then what more could a reader ask for?
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimori Kiryu
    I really like both...

Short Mangas: In this, you learn about the characters well, but not too deep for it to become kind of annoying. They don't drag on the conflict for very long and the end comes at a kind pace that you love it so much and don't want it to end. For me...that's Gravitation, which was only 13 volumes.

Long Mangas: Sometimes I prefer long series because of the fact that I really get into the characters lives and I don't want the series to end. I feel compelled to write more about them. But if it drags on with filler chapters and dragged on storyline...*coughinuyashacough* Then it does get really annoying. As long as it dives deep and is really intriguing, then what more could a reader ask for?
    Gravatation would still be considered a long manga. Short manga(s) are would really be under 10 volumes. anything after that would be considered long.

I don't think so, in my opinion anyways. I think to get deep down and into the characters/story plot/etcetera, you need at least 15 volumes, possibly even 20. It takes a while to get really good and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimori Kiryu
    I don't think so, in my opinion anyways. I think to get deep down and into the characters/story plot/etcetera, you need at least 15 volumes, possibly even 20. It takes a while to get really good and deep.
    Not true at all. Take a look at Trigun Maximum. It has a total of 11 volumes so far, yet its characters/plot/etc are outstanding and deep where I'm able to understand each character including the gung ho guns, and understand the storyline clearly well about the internal conflict between Knives, Vash and the people of planet Gunsmokes.

In most long ass series, the plot drags on too long that you wonder what the hell is the plot. Inu Yasha is a prime example of that.

Some case you example is stands like Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Monster, etc. But there are series like Akira, Eden, Trigun/Maximum, Fake, Midori's Days, etc that are short yet bring out the characters and plot rather well and fresh.

For some reason, I thought whether this was talking about the books' lenght...

I don't care, really. As long as everything else works, it can be short or long (and thank goodness most of the mang&#225;s here are doubled, that way we're never too short...).

I won something. Click above to find out why.

Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy
    Not true at all. Take a look at Trigun Maximum. It has a total of 11 volumes so far, yet its characters/plot/etc are outstanding and deep where I'm able to understand each character including the gung ho guns, and understand the storyline clearly well about the internal conflict between Knives, Vash and the people of planet Gunsmokes.
    I mean in a sense of you know....well, crap, I don't know how to explain myself on this one. I mean, I love short manga series' such Trigun Maximum (Yeah, TSC, I got a chance to read it ) and s-CRY-ed is a good one too.

In most long ass series, the plot drags on too long that you wonder what the hell is the plot. Inu Yasha is a prime example of that.
    Agreed. I still wonder who the hell their trying to fight. Naraku or their own boredom.

Some case you example is stands like Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Monster, etc. But there are series like Akira, Eden, Trigun/Maximum, Fake, Midori's Days, etc that are short yet bring out the characters and plot rather well and fresh.
    Yeah, agreed. Sometimes, the longer the manga is, the more you get into a character and such. But then again, I fanatize over a about 11 book manga and 26 episode anime, so what can I say

It really depends. Is the manga monotonous, where the villains never seem to die, kind of like Dragon Ball, or does it change with different arcs and plots like Digimon and Rurouni Kenshin? I prefer the long ones that change.

This means I'm a Psychic/Grass-type Pokemon!