Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Currency

Default Pokemon Currency

While writing a scene, I found myself stopped by an unusual roadblock-- Pokemon currency.

I don't follow the anime, so I'm not sure what people call their currency, or in what form it takes-- credit cards, paper money, or coins.

I only recall one instance where Red referred to his money as "smackers" in the second volume of the Special Manga (when Blue scammed him of all his money with fake items) but I'm still unsure. o.o;;

Help is much appreciated, as usual. If there isn't a canon name for it, what's the most common name used in fanfiction? (I don't want to use "Pokedollars" because dollars is an American name for money, like yen or euro. >.o)

Well... the official name is "Pokedollar" and the symbol used for it is a "p" with a bar on it, signifying "Pokedollar".

If you want to follow the canon, it's "Pokedollar". Sorry if you don't like it but well... unless someone can find the japanese name for the Pokemon currency, it seems like it's "Pokedollar".
    =FEATURED STORY=

Rejected

In a seemingly condemned world, souls seek out the cure to a terrible Poison and end up finding more... much more. Truth can be painful, sometimes.

O.O Hmm, interesting question.

One character, in my upcoming fanfiction, refers to the currency as being Pokedollars, although Pokemon is a Japanese Anime and particularly such be named after their currency. I mean, 'ball' is an american term, so it technically wouldn't be right to refer to the red and white orbs as Pokeballs, correct? ^^ Either you should make one up, as in the names and such, or use Pokedollars, since it does seem like a good name in my personal opinion. I mean, what's so harmful about using Pokedollars? Money is money. o.o
    ~ COMING SOON ~

Shiftry leapt into the air, shrieking and roaring as she started glowing and absorbing the sun’s light. Leaves shifted and curled at the edges as footsteps sounded on the grass. Her eyes were wide open and crazed, glazed with a white radiance. A slim, dark figure spontaneously crossed overhead, elegant and mysterious as it disappeared within the rose-colored vortex. It all seemed like a medieval fantasy; only reality blended in to make it all seem practical. The new otherworldly essence drifted in, allowing the illumination to bless the woman and reveal herself to the world. Karen had arrived

REALLY? I thought Pokedollars was a fan-made name. XD *feels like a idiot*

I just use 'credits'; and 100 credits=$1

well, it should be noted that the Pokedollar system is somewhat based on the Japanese Yen...

interestingly enough, it's not even called Pokedollars in the anime, because strangely enough, currency names have rarely come up... it would just be edited into amercian money anyway...

the only offical source that I've heard of using the term "pokedollars" would be a Colosseum guide I think...
    Last edited by PDL; 25th November 2005 at 2:06 AM.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

I think you sholuld make up your own name for them. Pokedollars sounds stupid. X__x Also, try thinking about the setting and cultrue of your story. What place and what culture does it remind you of? Use the currency of that place. I think that would work. ^__^

EDIT: I think 'smackers' is slang. Red uses slang quite often in Pokemon Adventures. I'm not sure about Special (the Japanese version), but he does do that in the English.

Shadowcat Guest

For me, it's called Pokecash or Pokemoney or Pokedollar or Pokedollars. I'm weird suggesting Pokecash.

And YES SCRAP! SOMEBODY MENTIONED CREDIT CARDS! Credit Cards=Love. I have planned to use and will always use Pokemon Credit Cards, short is PCC.

Pokedollars is fine for the game or anime, but if you're writting a fic and wanting to make it mre realistic, Pokedollars sounds a little too corney. Just plain old currency names would do, for whatever you are happy using. Dollars, Pound Sterling, Yen, etc.

In the original Japanese version, it's simply yen. The English version used the English Yen symbol but replaced the Y with a P.

You could always make up your own currency name. I thought of the Hunori back when I was working in the Hunnoto region.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I refer to it as PokéYen. Dollars wouldn't really make sense, given how much some of the stuff in shops costs. I mean, you wouldn't expect a ten- to sixteen-year-old to be carrying three thousand bucks on 'em, wouldja? XD
    Quote Originally Posted by MayuZane
    There is nothing noble about dragons. They're basically magical dinosaurs.

At least they're great for surfing.
    lol, applicability.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondrous Sableye
    I refer to it as PokéYen. Dollars wouldn't really make sense, given how much some of the stuff in shops costs. I mean, you wouldn't expect a ten- to sixteen-year-old to be carrying three thousand bucks on 'em, wouldja? XD
    Well you wouldn't be expecting 10-16 year olds to be walking around the world on their own either. I imagine the pokemon world economy is much different to our own. yes things do cost a lot, but money doesn't seem to be of as much importance. Trainers hand over half of their earnings on being beaten in a battle, and a Gold Nugget isn't worth all that much (not when you compare it's selling price to the cost of some items). And pokemon can use Pay Day to make money appear, if that's not an incentive to have a farm of Meowths build you a fortune, I don't know what is.

They're called Pokédollars in-game in Colosseum, if I remember correctly... *checks*

"Pokémon Dollars", it says in the P*DA.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I thought anything with the prefix 'poké' would be lame; worse than StarTrek and its 'Hypo' prefix And calling it a pound or Euro or so on just sounded a bit dull...

So I just call them Palort (accent mark on a). You could too Scrap!... SPREAD THE WEIRD NAME AROUND!

A Pálort?

I tend to go for Yen or Zennys.

I won something. Click above to find out why.

+Chaos Blade+ Guest

I don't use it. I use only Fantasy elements - bartering, gold coins, silver coins, bars of gold, et cetera.

The Pokémon currency is non-existent, I believe, because it's almost simlar to yen, just with a 'P' instead of a 'Y'.

+Chaos Blade+

Palort? XD

Razor Leaf said it all-- anything with the prefix Poke sounds corny and lame. In the real world, do we use CowDollars? WeaselYen? How about some ZebraEuros? XD

I've always just called 'em dollars cuz I'm too lazy to think of my own name. >> But yeah, I've tried to stray away from that look as though the Pokemon world completely centers around Pokemon, even if Pokedollars is used in Colosseum.

~Chibi~<?>

Ever wondered what would happen if humans had the power to overthrow the Legendaries? To either use them for their own ends, or eliminate them altogether? One thing is for certain...the balance between human and Legendary is unstable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8/30/12: CHAPTER 7: “Into the Fire” POSTED!!!
    Chapter 8 progress: 9/12 pages

+Chaos Blade+ Guest

&#165;
    This is the symbol for Yen, the Japanese currency. Pok&#233;mon was made in Japan. Don't you think it was common sense that they insert a Yen-like symbol into the Pok&#233;mon universe?

In Dust to Deceit, the Yen/Pokedollar currency is not used. Okay, well maybe it is used, but only in the Japanese areas. In Dust to Deceit, which is somewhat of a spin on Mongolia, the money is refered to as Corulums. The exchange rate is about 50 corulums to 1 Pokedollar, meaning that Kertonmel a region that isn't exactly located in a prosperous region. Now, since this is the first time I even bring up to Corulum, even before the story itself, all you readers and closet readers can thrill yourself to the spoils of war. Not there's many of you, but enjoy!

Currently on Hiatus

Very gracious thanks to Tezza for the Banner.

The Generic Story You All Probably Know… and Hate

It's 97% pure Parody, the other 3% is mockery!

Kertonmel: Sinsufficient Glory

A grand adventure, spoken in 2MB Colored glory!

Ouallada Guest

Currency is not a problem, and it never should be. Different places have different currency, and unless every fiction here takes place at the same place, having a different currency is fine, and is even more realistic. Unless a writer is going to argue for a blanket curreny, in which case I have nothing more to add.

Dilasc, believe me when I say this. I really do understand your need for more reviewers, but i really do not see why you must mention your fic in almost every post you make. It seems a little weird to me, and may put people off.

*agrees with Oullada on being tired of seeing Dust to Deceit dragged out for every discussion*

I don't really care. I rarely write out the whole word and usually just leave it abbreviated as Pk. I did have to use the word "credits" for it in the last chapter that I wrote (stupid scene involving money), but that's for the smaller increments, like cents. I honestly don't know what I would call it normally, but it's no biggie to me.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Shadowcat Guest

*Wonders why everyone doesn't use Credit Cards in their fics*

Scrap, you can just call it Money, Pokemoney, Pokeyen, Pokecash, Cash, Credits, Pokecredits, and the list goes on....

Pokemon Credit Cards, why doesn't anyone use them? Tons of people use Money, Pokemoney or Pokeyen. PCC, short for Pokemon Credit Card(s) are used to store money in my upcoming fics, and the loser give the winner money, who pockets it and shall deposit it into his/her PCC in a Pokemon Center. That's what I use Scrap. Original, eh?

So Scrap, what are you gonna call money in your fics?

I decided to be cheap and use credit cards. XD Makes sense, since everything's very technology-oriented in the Pokemon fandom. I actually wouldn't be surprised if paper money was rendered obsolete in the distant future. o.o;; Then the credit card companies take over the world. XD

Shadowcat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    I decided to be cheap and use credit cards. XD Makes sense, since everything's very technology-oriented in the Pokemon fandom. I actually wouldn't be surprised if paper money was rendered obsolete in the distant future. o.o;; Then the credit card companies take over the world. XD
    OMG! Scrap agrees with me! The two of us love Credit Cards, don't we? Maybe Cheques would do, but they're easily lost. And Credit Cards pwns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast