Thread: Waiting For Tomorrow [PG-13/Contest-shipping]

Post Waiting For Tomorrow [PG-13/Contest-shipping]

Hey...*waves*...I thought I might as well post up my second attempt of writing contest-shipping^^ This fanfic isn't a one-shot, however it depends whether any of you guys are interested, lol^^ I hope to make this as enjoyable as all the other great fanfics I've read out there. Please be honest, I really want to improve, feel free to point out any mistakes^^ The fanfic starts off differently, Harley is the first character indroduced, just so you know, but don't worry, May and Drew come in shortly after^^

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The young man, a mysterious shadow haunted the dangerously wedged rocks beneath the overcrowded streets of Palace. Enormous, deafening waves made themselves useful by quieting the silly and infuriating rackets the children were making while gathering in large groups, singing with joy. There was, to him, nothing to celebrate. After all, he definitely hadn’t moved on from the great humiliation he encountered early that day. Harley was anything but happy. He searched his pockets for a smallish, purple notebook. Once found, he flipped through the pages to a familiar face. There, in the middle of the page was a young girl, with mousey brown hair, and deep blue eyes smiling innocently among her many friends. Harley sneered at the picture, if it weren’t for the other coordinator Drew, a pokemon prodigy, then he would have succeeded fooling May, the Gym Leader Norman’s only daughter.
    It’s like whenever I come close in finally destroying that horrible little witch’s pride. May’s good for nothing boyfriend gets in my way! What does Drew see in that annoying brat? All she cares about is her self!” he thought with great annoyance.

Harley flipped the page to find Drew, a newly added candidate to his ‘revenge list’. He would have thought the two of them would have become good friends; at least, that’s what Harley hoped for. To have Drew on his side, a useful tool, to help him destroy May once and for all. But it would never happen. The two have become incredibly close. Harley had just about given up on that angle.

“Coordinators in love, it’s sickening!” he scowled, while roughly brushing a hand through his once combed neatly purple hair. “So what if his precious girlfriend almost drowned, it’s not like she would have wanted my help in the first place! The way Drew follows May is of a hopeless love-sick puppy, he should have been there before it got carried away! All I wanted was for May to be absent, at least until after the second appeal. Now I’ve got the police running after me with Drew by their side obviously. It’s his entire fault that it was announced publicly” Harley continued snappishly.

The icy wind pricked at his fingers as he skimmed through the pages. The weather was becoming quite fierce as Harley tried to find May’s picture again, thinking hard to himself. He knew it was only a matter of time before Drew and the others would find him, hiding here, sulking. Harley would be broadcasted all throughout Kanto; everyone would know what he did. He and his pokemon would be shunned from society and looked down upon with disgust. Harley had to get away soon, before headlines reached dawn tomorrow. But he couldn’t, not until he had his revenge successfully carried through.

But what?” Harley wondered, scheming carefully in thought. As he stared into the wild ocean, its waves hitting the shores with tremendous force, an idea, one that he never thought of before suddenly had him grinning malevolently. Harley, his wicked smile widening, searched for his pocket for yet another device. Quickly he brought out what seemed to be a hot-pink fancy mobile phone and dialled a familiar number. Harley held it closely to his right ear, awaiting for the special someone to answer. This time, things were going to be different. Then, shortly afterwards, she picked up;

“Hello? Harley is that you?”

“Oh hi girlfriend! Listen, I need to talk to you in private, tomorrow at Annabelle’s, the restaurant near Palace…”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Morning brightened the atmospheres once reckless and stormy night. The rain left several mud puddles in the now busy streets of Palace, the impressively displayed and enormous resort accommodating worthy and experienced co-ordinators around the globe. A young and pleasant carefree girl stood smiling on the edge of the resort’s swimming pool. She waved to her sibling, a boy no older than eight years, and to a good friend, with black messy hair and naturally tanned skin. May twirled with enthusiasm; beaming down at her newly bought swim-wear, a lacy pink bikini with beautifully coloured sequins scattered lightly to reveal a pattern of some sort. Ash and his Pikachu dived in the minute she called out for them to see. Max however, glanced over and smiled encouragingly, a sign that her new bikini was approved.

“My mum bought it for me this morning” she called out to her younger brother cheerfully; “I hope it didn’t cause her too much trouble” she continued, starting to feel guilty once again. Max swam up to the pool’s edge, followed by Ash who had just reappeared from under the water along with Pikachu by his side.

“Nah, I guess she was feeling bad about yesterday” Max answered with a warm smile, “Don’t worry about it, she wanted to buy it for you” he went on. Ash nodded in agreement, “Max is right, everyone thought you deserved it” he added quickly.

May placed her index finger on her chin, thinking, “I guess you’re right, mum was more than happy to buy me something, after what happened yesterday with Harley. I suppose I shouldn’t feel guilty, for mum’s sake too” she replied, a sudden wave of disappointment rushing through her; “But what a shame I didn’t get to participate in the finals”.

Ash muttered something under his breath with silent fury; the words ‘Harley’ and ‘cheat’ could be heard distinctively. He seemed to be controlling his anger for the sake of bringing up the subject of what happened the day before. Max sighed in disappointment; he still couldn’t get over the fact that his sister missed out. It was May’s second Grand Festival after all. But, like his mother had told him, he should feel grateful that his sister was still alive. If it wasn’t for Drew ignoring May’s request to not worry, she wouldn’t be here today. Max never would have thought he was actually thankful for Drew’s existence and his relationship with his sister.

Pikachu nudged Ash on his left shoulder, pointing directly past May and Max. The three turned, puzzled as to what caught the yellow mouse’s interest. Caroline, followed by Officer Jenny and Drew approached them, with worried expressions. Ash peered over at May, who surprisingly looked almost glad to see them. He had previously thought she would rather try and avoid Officer Jenny, hoping to forget everything. Was it Drew’s safe return that was comforting and his stubborn persistence to stay at the resort? Ash glanced over at Drew, his face remaining deeply concerned. It had become obvious that May was important to him. They were pretty close, more than just average rivals, it seemed.

May rose to greet them, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink. She pressed both her index fingers together, blushing as she spoke;

“Drew…I, uh…am very sorry for not thanking you earlier…its just that you took off so suddenly last night, with Officer Jenny and everyone, that I didn’t have time to tell you how grateful I am for you’re help yesterday…when you saved me” May stuttered, blushing a crimson red this time. Drew smiled warmly at her, and raising a hand he replied; “It’s okay…” May stared bemused, how was it that he could sound so affectionate, yet it’s obvious he wasn’t particularly happy with the situation at all? It wasn’t like Drew to comfort her like this, not when she didn’t listen to his advice in the first place. May was positive he’d lecture her again.

“You alright? I hope the present I bought for you wasn’t too tight” her mother spoke as she approached. May shook her head; “Of course not! It fits perfectly” she answered, smiling back. Drew relaxed his shoulders, thankful May was smiling again. He’d hoped the idea of Mrs Maple buying May a gift would cheer her up, at least a little. Drew hadn’t slept all night, because he insisted searching for Harley as well. Nobody deserves to be cheated out of accomplishing their one chance to fulfilling their dreams. Especially May, who earned those 5 ribbons. Drew, for some reason, felt cheated as well, he had hoped for a re-match in the finals, but unfortunately this could not be. He also felt furious at the fact Harley risked May’s life, in order to succeed. Drew was lucky enough to save her in time, he’d never forgive himself if something happened to May.

Officer Jenny approached her next, eyeing the young coordinator suspiciously. After a long pause she smiled; “If you have any questions May, I’ll be glad to help you out. Don’t feel like you have to act brave in front of me, you’ve been through a lot, its okay” she encouraged. May nodded, although, she didn’t think counselling was needed. She wasn’t afraid of Harley; she didn’t even think he was literally trying to drown her either. May was just felt like everyone else, furious.

Drew searched his pockets for a smallish piece of paper, evidence of Harley’s wicked scheme. As Caroline and the others complimented on May’s bravery, Drew skimmed through the note once again that read;

I want to be a better person, but I can’t live on like this knowing what I’ve done. I really want to change, I thought coordinating would distract me, but it made my condition worse, I’m deeply sorry. My doctor had prescribed me medication and therapy, but I thought people would just laugh at me of what a sad case I’ve become. It hurts me inside, this feeling…I’m sorry, but I can’t live on any more…

Drew clenched the paper in his hands, a feeling of disgust and stomach-churning sensation whirling up inside him. In Drew’s opinion, this the most sickening scam he ever came across. How could someone fake an illness of a mental disorder? Drew wondered why May was so set on leaving that day, as if it was her own responsibility. She disregarded anything he told her, about Harley. Drew was, deep inside, very disappointed and angry almost that May didn’t listen. However it was her nature to care for others. A trick it may have been, but she must have thought about the possibilities. After all, if Harley jumped, May would feel guilty for the rest of her life.

~Flashback~

The over enthusiastic audience roared with deafening applause, another superb performance indeed. Drew bowed, a stratified smirk on his face. He had just scored a massive one hundred points, once again. Roselia beamed as the judges complimented on its style and grace. Everyone screamed and whistled, making it almost too hard to hear what the judges were actually saying. Vivian, the Grand Festival host quietened the audience, a tired and doubtful look on her face. She was failing to control the noise again. It took just about five tries before the judges were able to speak clearly.

After Drew left the stage, he yearned for more attention, but this time from a special female coordinator. He called back his pokemon to its pokeball and entered the locker room. Many eyes stared with admiration but some with envy; Drew was certain he was making a huge impact on his rivals. May stood, alone in a corner and seemed to be busy with something. Drew, curious as to why May hadn’t congratulated him approached his happy-go-lucky friend.

“What this? Was my performance that good you had to hide?” Drew teased, placing a hand on her shoulder. May hesitated, but didn’t answer. Drew stared with curiosity; what was she doing? After a short pause May turned, her face serious and concerned. She held a small piece of paper in her right hand, shaking. Drew’s overconfident smirk vanished and was replaced with a worrisome frown.

“What’s wrong?” he whispered, eyeing her suspiciously. May folded up the piece of paper in her hand and glanced up at Drew, mouthing something he couldn’t comprehend. May seemed to have some difficulties understanding what troubled her. But finally, after much thought she spoke;

“I-I have to leave, r-right now” May whispered uneasily. Drew stared, shocked by this answer. What in the world was she thinking? And what did she mean “I have to leave right now”? None of it made sense. It was only a matter of time before it was May’s turn to appeal. So why leave this instant?

“May, what on earth are you talking about? You’ll be up soon, you can’t possibly leave now” Drew protested seriously. May shook her head almost violently, looking fearsome; “No! I can’t, there is no time for this now! I know this is my one chance to prove myself, but I can’t let something like this happen! Harley is, after all, human and-”

Harley?!” Drew interrupted with a snap. Startled, May froze.

“Don’t tell me you are worried about Harley, his not you’re business anymore. Ignore him. If his threatening you, don’t feel like you have to give in” he argued, both his hands supporting her shoulders. May blushed for a moment, as if stunned by his new protective approach and looked away quickly. Drew, realising what he just said looked away also, with his hands back in his pockets. There was a long silence, and neither one spoke. Drew, finding something to distract himself, stared at the score board from early that day, Harley, his enemy, had earned just above average, a poor performance in his opinion. May shuffled her feet, probably wondering what to make out Drew’s over-protectiveness, with the paper still clutched in her shaking hand.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Thanks for reading, hope to write more in future^^
    Kat

Yay, you finally posted this! ^_^ Well, I already told you this before, but I really love it. I'm not really sure what I can say that I haven't already told you before... the flashback is great! I love the part with Drew being protective over May. You captured their emotions very well, especially the part where May was distressed over the letter. Love it! Can't wait until the next chapter, keep it up!

Thanks guys^^ Just so you know, I'm kind of slow on updates, with these things. So you will see the next chapter in about 2-3 weeks or something. But thanks so much for reading it, I'll try and make the second chapter just as enjoyable^^

I love your story. Hope you update soon. Did Harley try to drown May?

Wow, interesting plot. I really hope to read more! =3
    Read my Current fanfiction-Travelin' Across the Continent(Contestshipping, a bit of Pokeshipping)Rated PG-13(Rating has risen)
    Raine's PokePet

Nokio the level 52 Lucario!
    Made by Me:

Hey this fic is really good! Fantastic description and a well thought out and designed polt. The style of writing compels the reader to read on, so this reader would like to read on...

please PM me if you have an update ^^

OMG that's good. Mysterious too. I'd love to see more of this as it's obviously not a oneshot. Please don't be a twoshot either! Make it looooonnnnnngggggg! Could i get on the PM list if you have one and if you don't well you do now!

Nice i really like. What did Harley do though?
    Ze' lurver-ly lesbian but also a lurver-ly Mommy ~<3

Hey, this is really good! I love fics where Harley acts Harleyish, like he's supposed to. His letter was so perfectly clever and nasty. And all the other characters were nice and in-character, too. I like the way we got all the information in drips and drabs. And I'm keen to find out who Harley’s "girlfriend" (hee!) is.

There's just a couple of things I'd consider tinkering with - I wouldn't recommend putting "flashback" at the top of flashback scenes. It's a bit like when people put "<character's> POV" every time they switch POVs - it's not something you'd ever see in published writing. If you want to make it clear that we've jumped into the past, it'd be better to either use a date/time stamp instead - e.g. "earlier that day..." or "2.15, Indigo Plateau" - or put the entire flashback in italics. Alternately, you could include no indicators and leave it to the reader to figure out that you're doing a flashback.

Aside from that, the only other thing I wondered about was when Drew put his hands on May's shoulders. Personally, I wouldn't have made him do that - it seems a little too forward of him, given that he and May never touch in canon unless she's attacking him or they're falling off a cliff. But it's your call.

Anyways, good fic. Good luck with the next chapter!
    Fic plugs: Taking a Chance (multi-chaptered, Contestshipping/Pokeshipping)
    Firelight (Christmas oneshot, Contestshipping)

I adopted Drew Plushie from Ama's Collection

^ Adopted by moi. Innit CUUUTE?