Thread: MTG COTD: Crimson Hellkite

Default MTG COTD: Crimson Hellkite

Crimson Hellkite - Mirage, 6th, 7th Edition. Rare
    6RRR: Summon Dragon
    Flying
    X,T: Crimson Hellkite deals X damage to target creature. Spend only red mana this way.
    "Dragonfire forged me a warrior."
    -Rashida Scalebane

-----
    The hellkites are artists with flames, painting the world with fire.
    6/6

lol. That really sums it up about this card.

How often do you come across having 9 mana in a red deck? Not to mention you can't splash green for mana accel, if you want to utilize it's effect. You really can't see the pros in this card. 9 for a 6/6 that could essentially deal 9 damage to any creature (would ko like 99% of all creatures) but.... turn 10+?....

The Duck's Rating: 1.5/5
    Micky Onimusha: ants are strogner than bears

1/5.

First of all, this does not really help red's theme that much. Second, and more importantly, where in the hell is red going to get 9+ mana?
    Props to MysticFlames for these!

Remember the Beast Riders? THEY'RE BACK!!!
    Pokémon Origins Volume III: The War of Armageddon
    Finished, after 16 months!!

Sergay Wang Guest

If I can cast 1st turn Rorix Bladewing, people can cast Crimson Hellkite.

Anyway, you can still cast Crimson Hellkite with Green Mana, you just can't use Green Mana for the ability, thus not optimizing. But how often do you need Crimson Hellkite to do an insane amount of damage?

While at 9 mana is quite a steep price to pay for a 6/6 Flyer, do remember there are even more creatures who are more expensive and more useless. Like... Tidal Kraken. 9 mana for a 6/6 unblockable.

Yes, they suck, but not useless.

Crimson Hellkite is just another big creature card that is likely unplayable in almost all formats besides limited.

Limited: 4/5
    Casual: 2/5
    Constructed: 1/5

Anyway, this was how I pulled a turn one Rorix using Dragonstorm.dec:

Turn 1- I won die roll. I play. No mulligans.
    Main Phase:
    Mountain, Chrome Mox- Imprint Cabal Ritual
    Tap Mountain and Mox (RB) - Desperate Ritual (RRR) - Seething Song (RRRRR) - Desperate Ritual (RRRRRR) - Rorix Bladewing.
    Attack with Rorix for 6.
    End Turn- Zero Cards in Hand.

My opponent scooped before his first play. Although, if he cast any removal, I'd likely would have had been in deep trouble.

The 6/6 body, flying and the creature burn ability are all nice, but not for nine mana. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by King Loki
    Anyway, you can still cast Crimson Hellkite with Green Mana, you just can't use Green Mana for the ability, thus not optimizing. But how often do you need Crimson Hellkite to do an insane amount of damage?
    well, not utlizing it's effect... 9 mana for a 6/6? How about Ashen Firebeast, Avatar of Fury, Brimestone Dragon, Covetous Dragon, Fire Dragon, and Hunted Dragon t top it off.

and, for 9 mana, there are other cards like Furnace Dragon for artifact hate, Searing Wind for a game winner, or even Bringer of the Red just for the hell of it.
    Micky Onimusha: ants are strogner than bears