Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Pokemon Ranger Help or Hurt the Pokemon Name?

Default Does Pokemon Ranger Help or Hurt the Pokemon Name?

I think the title sums it up quite nicely. These games are radical departures from the normal Pokemon hand-held. Alot of fans of the series are starting to tire of the "gotta catch em all" type of game where you also have to get badges from gym. It's entirely possible that this game could really draw in alot of people who are interested in a possible "new" adventure in the Pokemon world.
    Then again, these games could possibly be viewed as "filler" games that are a waste of time and not worth the money. This could lead fans away from pokemon and thus no longer buy the merchandise as a result of these failed games.
    What do you think?

I think that they help the series because it shows that there are not only pokemon trainers in the world, and it just expandes the pokemon universe and attreacts more fans. That is my opinion anyway.
    Wanna chat? Just add me to your msn or AIM.
    I claim Brook/ Gentelman Skeleton in the Bishie thread (version 3.0)

Pokemon ranger definitely looks to be an interesting installment into the franchise, and can't say that it "hurts" the series. In fact, I think it's a good foreshadowing of what to expect come Diamond and Pearl. Just seeing the new section added about the obstacles on the front page made me wonder if this is the kind of stuff we can expect come D/P.

I think that it'll help the franchise a lot, because it's different then any other pokemon game out right now and people tend to get tired of the "Gotta Catch'em All!" concept and would like something fresh such as Pokemon Ranger.
    I'm your biggest fan,
    I'll follow you until you love me<3
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/zvo3zt.gif[/IMG]

Angelic Elf Ivy is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't think the Pokemon Rangers would hurt it at all! I know for sure that I'm interested (just have to look at my avvy to see that) and that I'd by one of the games for it. I mean who really wants to take part in the same old game where your goal is to get all of the Pokemon Badges, all the Pokmeon, and a few extras such as in R/S/E games with the contests and such. Anyway, it's a new prospective of Pokemon that will probably atract many buyers and not hurt the Pokemon name.

*~*Ivy*~*

Yaynessissity
    Yaynessissity is an awesomely fun forum!

-Clubs I Own or Co-Own-
    Brendan/Ruby club 2.0, Hamtaro club, ~Hoenn Lovers Club~

Fictions Coming...Someday:
    Elenia: Protectors of Earth
    Shadow Quest
    Forbidden Element
    (^-title may change-^)

My Fiction(s)
    Experiment 13A31: The Bringer of Fire
    Chapter 4 now up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivymoonrose
    I don't think the Pokemon Rangers would hurt it at all! I know for sure that I'm interested (just have to look at my avvy to see that) and that I'd by one of the games for it. I mean who really wants to take part in the same old game where your goal is to get all of the Pokemon Badges, all the Pokmeon, and a few extras such as in R/S/E games with the contests and such. Anyway, it's a new prospective of Pokemon that will probably atract many buyers and not hurt the Pokemon name.

*~*Ivy*~*
    I'm not sure what to think of poke rangers at the moment but I might grow to like it. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivymoonrose

*~*Ivy*~*
    The reason Pokemon got so popular was as a result of this simple, yet highly addicting formula. Iv'e looked into ranger a bit (as in reading the info on Serebii) and it seems to be a vast departure from this formula. The series has had some hits and misses when attempting to diverge from the original formula. For instance, Pokemon Pinball (R/S) was a pretty big hit while games such as "Hey you Pikachu!" failed miserably.

TOY MACHINE Guest

most of the spin offs well... suck this seems like a game the kids can play to wait for diamond and pearl to come out

I really don't like it. I don't think it will catch on. The whole "Capture Stylus" thingybob is freaky. It's like a mind control device. Ugh.
    Join the Probopass cult now, and receive a year's supply of chocolate-scented toothpicks!

MaskedManAbsolkid is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Master Sceptile
    I really don't like it. I don't think it will catch on. The whole "Capture Stylus" thingybob is freaky. It's like a mind control device. Ugh.
    It IS a mind-control device. You use it to control the pokemon.

I think it'll help the franchise. People say it'll kill Pokemon, but other failed games didn't kill it, did they?
    Used to be Absolkid, -Absol-, Former Absolkid and Cipher Admin Absolkid!

Bah, I dislike how 'filler games' are branded as a waste of money, just because they're not the main RPG adventures.
    Mysterious Dungeon, both Pinball games and the TCG game are all great fun to play. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Snap on the other hand was a pretty good concept, but it was let down by the lack of difficulty and the limited amount of things to do.

I'm not sure how I feel about Ranger at the moment though, as information about how the game works and what tasks have to be fullfilled is rather limited. But I'm open to the idea of new concepts in the pokémon world, because the series has so much potential. We have well over 300 characters here, so using them in multiple scenarios is a lot more interesting then simply going along the same battle > capture > train > fight Gym route constantly.

Raichu Guest

I really like the concept of Pokemon Ranger. It's more unique than most of what you see in the Pokémon franchise nowadays, and I think it'll be a nice little refresher. Though I doubt it will be held in as high regards as the original games, I still think it's going to be successful.

funny thing is, once i was thinking of designing a game called pokemon ranger. And it turns out this pokemon ranger is a lot like theo ne i thought up 5 years ago. Im sure it will help the series.

mew183 Guest

click here find out>COOL

Quote Originally Posted by Raichu
    I really like the concept of Pokemon Ranger. It's more unique than most of what you see in the Pokémon franchise nowadays, and I think it'll be a nice little refresher. Though I doubt it will be held in as high regards as the original games, I still think it's going to be successful.
    I'm pretty much on the same page as you... I enjoy Pokemon in all of its forms, but the "spin-offs" will never match up to the original style of games.
    "Psychos... they always love comics." - Det. Elliot Stabler.

help, I think it's nice to see that the franchise is making some innovations, and most likely will attract more fans with the new game style*faints*

he's no ordinary linoone, he's my boyfriend, and the only one who can manage to make me TRULY happy...

Your banner had been over 46800 pixels so it was removed. Please read the signature rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Absolkid
    I think it'll help the franchise. People say it'll kill Pokemon, but other failed games didn't kill it, did they?
    Well, I do remember in an article on Xbox.Ign.com said that they wanted to make an anti-Pikachu game on Xbox so that they could chase it around and shoot it to death. That was when Pokemon Channel was released and Xbox.Ign.com was making fun of it.
    Final Fantasy XI stats
    [Naraku] [Elvaan male] [Windurst] [Rank 5]

[WAR35] [MNK35] [WHM27] [BLM25] [RDM37] [THF27] [PLD29] [DRK35] [BST27] [RNG27] [BRD27] [SMN25] [NIN26] [SAM35] [DRG36] [BLU26] [COR1] [PUP1] [DNC20] [SCH24]

Currently PLD29/WAR14

I will treat this as I did with other installments like R/S/E, G/S/C. I'll have different expectations though. Unlike the other spin offs Game freak is actually making it. The other spin offs I felt differently about but, this is Gamefreak's own franchise so I have higher expectations from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost master
    Unlike the other spin offs Game freak is actually making it. The other spin offs I felt differently about but, this is Gamefreak's own franchise so I have higher expectations from them.
    If nothing else, this should ensure quality and adherence to the way that the Pokemon world has been established in the RPG games.

i think it does neither. the franchise can only be dealt a very severe blow by the main series or to a lesser extent the RPGs, so the side games like this arent as much of a gamble. still, i think its a creative idea for a pokemon game
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

Pokemon is copyright nintendo. Any other system that makes a game based upon it will be violating any copyright laws and therefore is liable for suing.

As for pokemon ranger, I don't know much about it and am too lazy to look at anything about it, but from what I've heard, it looks interesting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by indigestible_wad
    Pokemon is copyright nintendo. Any other system that makes a game based upon it will be violating any copyright laws and therefore is liable for suing.
    Of course, that's obvious... but what prompted you to bring it up?

This post. I should have quoted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naraku_Diabolos
    Well, I do remember in an article on Xbox.Ign.com said that they wanted to make an anti-Pikachu game on Xbox so that they could chase it around and shoot it to death. That was when Pokemon Channel was released and Xbox.Ign.com was making fun of it.

I'll most likely'll get the game anyways.

AdvanceX.deviantart.com

^
    So true~ ;D

I think Pokemon Ranger is an interesting idea. If it's successful it'll attract more. If it's not then it won't hurt the Pokemon name. One person on the other forum said that after playing Pokemon Dash he has learned never to buy Pokemon games that don't have a colour/metal or whatever written afterwards. So it won't hurt the main franchise. Though it will hurt any other side games of Pokemon in the future. Though I think that damage has already been done with Pokemon Dash but it is repairable if you can convince people to give one more chance.

Put together by me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast