Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Comic Tutorials - PLEASE READ

Can someone teach me to made a sprite comic? Im just another person wanting to bring ramdomness into the world, in comics.

How do you rip maps out from the games? any site I can go to?
    Last edited by peter1234500000; 19th March 2006 at 9:46 PM.
    Banners CANNOT exceed 468x100 pixels. Yours was too large, so 's been removed. Please read the Signature Rules.
    Team Magma Duds!
    Note* we do any dungeon BUT Purity Forest. (spore)
    PLATINUM RANK
    Highest levels: 100 x3, 89 x4, 97 x1.
    Last rescue: Silver Trench Fl. 77

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=109438 That's for the Comic Academy, the place where you can be taught how to make comics. You can get some stuff off of VGmaps.com.
    Gone. I'm rather dissatisfied with how things have gone here. The staff and the users have exceeded my patience. You can still catch me on MSN, Smogon (as MythTrainerInfinity), or Shoddy Battle.
    DeviantArt Account

This inspires me to make a Photoshop Tutorial. I'll start right now!
    Edit: I'm finished, is this good enough?
    Last edited by TheDarknessWithin; 21st March 2006 at 2:35 AM.

Russian May is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by The_Darkness_Within
    This inspires me to make a Photoshop Tutorial. I'll start right now!
    Edit: I'm finished, is this good enough?

Thanx! I think it will help me! But first I need to get a Photoshop! =) Maybe, I'll ask my Dad...

Good loving!
    I LOVE POKEMON!

My team:

I am thinking of slapping together a normal sprite comic tutorial this weekend, y'know the basics. If you have any suggestions or ideas for that they are welcome. If I am feeling really nice I'll string together a drawing/coloring tutorial for drawn comics, I think this forum could use more drawn comics.
    Gone. I'm rather dissatisfied with how things have gone here. The staff and the users have exceeded my patience. You can still catch me on MSN, Smogon (as MythTrainerInfinity), or Shoddy Battle.
    DeviantArt Account

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity
    I am thinking of slapping together a normal sprite comic tutorial this weekend, y'know the basics. If you have any suggestions or ideas for that they are welcome. If I am feeling really nice I'll string together a drawing/coloring tutorial for drawn comics, I think this forum could use more drawn comics.
    I'll be looking forward to that.

I'm wondering, is this a thread where everyone posts tutorials, or a thread you made to show off your tutorials?

Little confusion there...

Paired up with Avegaille

This thread is for people to post their tutorials, I'll organize this thread a bit after we get a few more tutorials.
    DeviantArt Account

Well, I have some.... Anti-tutorials to post, then.

Well, that's not very good. In fact, not good at all. Lacks proper facial expressions, consistent detailed backgrounds, proper panels, text bubbles, good coloring, good fusions, a good story, spelling, grammar, and good rescaling.

Requirements for an overworld comic.
    (Don't comment on the trainer sprites, I was in a hurry )

Paired up with Avegaille

Sweet, now it's all up there for convienant access. And the anti-tutorial is hideious. Hopefully this will help a couple people.

Edit: I felt that some of my posts were off-topicish, so I deteled them. I still think that one main idea or theme should go with each sticky though.
    Last edited by Infinity; 26th March 2006 at 5:26 AM.
    DeviantArt Account

Hi... I was wondering if I would be allowed to include these tutorials in my All-in-one thread... ? May I? It will most likely become the one, universal sticky of knowledge, so I think I should make a post with them in the thread.
    Last edited by blueguy; 26th March 2006 at 12:57 AM.

I would like to keep this separate for the sake of convenience.
    But that was the point of making the All-in-one... -_- So that we wouldn't have a bazillion disused stickies. Believe me, it's better if they're placed in one thread.

I think these threads could really work either way. They'd be fine seperate, but I don't think it would hurt to combine them either.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

Some things should be combined and some things shouldn't. If someone wanted to find a tutorial they shouldn't need to shovel through moutains of things, all they need to do was just click on a certain thread and pow, it's right there. At least ask me next time before you want to use the FAQ I wrote for that because at times I would still like to update it.
    I see what you mean... but I still disagree. :S Anyways, as per the issue of your updating, why don't you post the following code (so that it matches the rest of the thread) (and this way you can edit it when you wish. I'll delete my post of it)

[size=3*][b*][u*]Infinity's Fan-Comics Forum FAQ[/u][/b][/size]

[*QUOTE][u*][b*]What is the purpose of the Fan-Comic forum?[/b*][/u*]

The purpose of this forum is to post [b*][i*]ORGINAL[/i][/b] user-created comics. Generally, you will see a majority of sprite comics with a few computer and hand drawn comics thrown in every now and then.

[b*][u*]Comic Basics[/u][/b]

If you are completely new to comics I suggest that you read up on some professionally done comics to see what they are like. Just pick up your Sunday funnies and then perhaps you can gain some inspiration, but try not to copy off of them.
    Once you have completed that task please follow the guidelines below.

Alright, what does every successful comic author need to know?

First off you need to have an idea. Spend time on that idea, like how you are going to make it funny or what am I trying to say? [b*][i*]DO NOT[/i][/b] simply make a comic on a whim. Think out every single little detail; it will greatly improve the overall quality of your comics. Quality > Quantity.

Now you need to basic layout in mind, create a new panel every time a new action occurs. Limit yourself on how much your characters think or talk per panel. Try not to make a comic wider than your screen. Draw your readers in by involving many curves to your plot; it would be best in my opinion if you created a new panel for it.

There are methods of communication throughout the various comics here, but I often find speech bubbles to be the most effective way of characters communicating amongst themselves. Speech bubbles are needed unless there is a white background for your comic (and you better have a darn good comic if you are using a white background). I recommend using a rounded or oval speech bubble as it signifies professionalism.

Please use computer generated text when your characters are talking or thinking; it can be hard to read if you handwrite it. Make sure your text is large enough for other people to read it. If you are forced to use smaller text please bold it.

Grammar, you need it here. Would you hand in a paper if you knew you had legions of grammatical errors on them? I would hope not. It is very unprofessional to be having all sorts of misspellings and grammar mistakes and it lowers the quality of your comic. The spellchecker is your friend.

If you can avoid it try to avoid making a "Pokémon Journey comic" because it is basically a very boring cliché, we know how the pokémon games are played out, and otherwise we would not be on a pokémon forum. Controller of Flames divulges into this a bit deeper in this thread: [Controller of Flame's parodies are found later in the thread -blueguy].

If you are going to incorporate backgrounds please spend some time when you are doing so (NOTE: the default Microsoft Paint colors do not work too well in backgrounds of comics).

Part of being a good comic maker knows how to take criticism; if you can’t take any criticism then you should not be here, as this is a place of growth. As stated later on there are good and bad types of criticism that should be listened to and ignored. If a good critic suggests something try to consider putting it into your comic, but if it is a spelling or grammatical issue, you should ALWAYS make sure you take care of that, run it through a Word processor if you have one, if not read it over carefully. Don’t think of criticism to be automatically a flame, critics are there to help you.

Like any good stories remember the kicker comes at the end. You will leave your readers feeling unfulfilled if you simply end it at a random thought (this is okay on rare occasions, but you must draw your reader into the plot to be successful).

When you do upload a comic try to keep in mind to update the first post with every new comic so your readers can convieantly check up on your newest submissions.

If you are still struggling while making a comic feel free to ask any of the veteran comic creators. They should be more than willing to help.

[b*]As a comic creator you should not be making comics if you have an inability to accept constructive criticism.[/b] As mean as that can sound it's true. No one is perfect and we can always move towards improvement.

Remember if you're using a sprite or background someone else made [b*][i*]GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE[/i][/b].

If you are still struggling or you need to pick up some advanced tips ask for someone to help you in the [*URL=http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=100841]Comic-Maker's Academy[/URL].

[b*][u*]Character Development[/u][/b]

I have to say some of the characters in many comics I see need more character development. Sterotypical heros are just boring. Some lack quirks, and they are like, “Let’s do this, beat the bad guy.” In a good story many characters are centered on one particular trait and they draw their outer traits from that. This may seem completely unrelated, but for the purpose of giving an example this will work. If you’ve seen Fullmetal Alchemist you know how rash, impulsive, and ready for battle Edward Elric is. Then you see the timid, follows along what his older brother does, Alphonse Elric. As a telepath I have a tendency to analyze emotions (their cause, why, etc.) and I’ve realized something important to any form of storytelling. Every character is influenced by one or (a couple) predominant trait(s). Both of the Elric brothers have one trait both of them are centered around; if they didn’t have it their characters would be incomplete. That trait is being a child at heart. You can draw different characters from one trait, but ultimately they will go by that particular trait in their own actions. My point is you need to give proper traits to each character and that will make them succeed. Everyone has different ways they do things and without them everybody would be alike, lackluster, and boring. If you need help with that, please ask for someone to help you in the Comic Academy.

[*b][*u]How do I create a Sprite comic?[/u][/b]

Davis and friends have summed it up pretty darn well in this thread: [Davis's tutorial found later in the thread -blueguy].

[*b][*u]How do I create a computer/hand drawn comic?[/u][/b]

Well, I highly recommend that you have some sort of program that is intended for art and whatnot. If you use Microsoft Paint, it usually does not come out as clean as something that Adobe Photoshop or [*URL=http://www.gimp.org/]GIMP[/URL] can yield (oh and GIMP is a free program by the way).

If you are completely new to art or you want to cheat, in Microsoft Paint there are some features that allow you to draw lines according to your desire, you can use them to your advantage and then import it to your art program to tidy it up.

If you are drawing a comic by hand make sure you make the backgrounds light enough so that the characters stand out and remember you need a LOT of detail to have a respectable hand drawn comic. I recommend sketching by pencil and then going over it with a pen. Pencil drawn comics don't scan too well...

Drawing comics is a form of art and there are many styles that you could use, just remember these basic tips:

Spend lots of time making each character; put a lot of detail into them so we know what they look like and can identify their expressions so you won't have to describe it to us. Don’t use a basic circle for a head.

Make sure that your characters have dark lines on their outline so the readers can see them.

Make sure we can see your characters, shadowing is nice, but make sure the characters stand out.

[*b][*u]Comic Fans[/u][/b]

Evry comic maker loves their fans and they love to hear feedback, but there are some things that you must look out for. Try not to pester the creator for new comics, remember they are making their comic, not you. Rushed comics tend to have a poorer quality. As a fan you should be a critic and that is explained below.

[*b][*u]Comic Critics[/u][/b]

For every author on here there are at least 15 critics. Critics help build authors up into well respected comic creators. We expect a level of competence from the critics and from the authors. My point is say a little more than just "Nice update", please say why you like it or how it can be improved. Blatantly saying, "This comic sucks," is flamebait and will often result in a flame war or begrudging someone. So elaboration is your friend...

Let's try to transition some statements:

[*QUOTE]
    Wow, your comic is pretty neat![/QUOTE]
    Let's transition it...
    [*QUOTE]
    Wow, I love the background it is full of life. Your characters are well defined and you can really picture meeting them in real life. I find your comic to be of the highest quality possible.[/QUOTE]
    Well... Maybe not to that extent, but you get the picture.

Let's try something at the opposite end of the spectrum:
    [*QUOTE]
    This comic really sucks, you need to stop making comics now.[/QUOTE]
    Flamebait!
    [*QUOTE]
    Well... Your comic needs a lot of work... First of all your text is very cluttered and hard to read... Also you really need to use grammar so we can follow the plotline. Also please enlarge your character sprites, as they are very hard to see.[/QUOTE]
    Constructive criticism is much better than flamebait.

[*b][*i]DO NOT give a comic a number rating without a comprehensive analysis of the comic, I’m talking paragraphs here.[/i][/b]

If you wish to give constructive criticism to a comic please do not state that you will, instead wait until you are ready to give crit.

This is how some people start [*URL=http://www.velvet.com/barb/humor/flaming.html]flamewars[/URL], so please do everyone a favor and avoid doing those things on that list.

Nothing annoys me more on these forums than seeing, "Your comic r0x," or "You suck at making comics, get a day job." We are mature people here; we can critique a comic with a little more than a sentence fragment or an insult.

I have noticed some people go lightly on crit if they are the author's friend. If you wish to be a true friend you should be the one who is the most heavy on critique. Friends build each other up and make sure they help refine each other's skills.

I know it may be a bit annoying to type out more in every single reply to each comic, but it would benefit the author a bit more if he or she knew why you liked or disliked their comic and what should they continue doing or improve.

[*b][*u]Basic Comic Forum Terms[/u][/b]

[*i]Basic Microsoft Paint Colors:[/i] The colors in Microsoft Paint other than black and white found in the color bar.
    [*i]Crit:[/i] Short for critique.
    [*i]Flamebait:[/i] Making a post that has the potential to make one or more people angry; it may escalate to a flame war.
    [*i]Flame war:[/i] A large scale argument between users, it often leads to the closing of a comic or someone getting banned.
    [*i]Fourth Wall:[/i] When a character signifies that they know they are in a comic.
    [*i]Plot(line):[/i] The story of a comic.
    [*i]Outline:[/i] a. The basic frame of a character. b. Writing out your comic before you make it (a very good idea in my opinion).
    [*i]Speech Bubble:[/i] A method of communication between characters in a comic; generally in a rounded or oval shape.
    [*i]Sprite:[/i] An image of lesser detail than other forms of art and it is generally small.
    [*i]Thought Bubble:[/i] A character thinks to himself or herself in a comic; smaller bubbles are led from the character to the thought. It is generally in a rounded or oval shape.
    [*i]TUP:[/i] Text under panels. A form of Text bubble that is frowned upon. The text is below the panel, making the comic unorganized and the actions unnoticed.[/QUOTE*]

You'll need to remove the asterisks. So, post this thread right away so that you can change it when you like to.

I have a good idea... Why don't I have a Table of Contents? That way it'll be easy to have a thread with lots of stuff in it... you know? Whaddaya think?

EDIT - I've made such a ToC, and now I await your post, Infinity. *nods*
    Last edited by blueguy; 26th March 2006 at 3:59 AM.

Smashing idea, wot wot. Go for it!
    Last edited by Mastercougar; 26th March 2006 at 4:01 AM.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

Peace out.

Anyways, it should be known that I've started my own guide/tutorial of sorts. It will be fairly comprehensive and will be in comic form! I made the first issue, which very basically shows you how to use Paint... You can see it in the yet to be pinned all-in-one thread, or you can click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Controller of Flames
    I digress CoF, for I feel that having multiple stickies for more narrowed topics help the forum better. Here are my reasons:

If the stickies were cleaned up everything would be fine. Take some websites for example. How often do people want to read a lengthy TOU or License of Agreement? They don't. If everything is spread out there is a higher probability that their attention span won't falter as easily and they can access the information when they want.
    Last edited by Infinity; 26th March 2006 at 7:43 PM.
    DeviantArt Account

I added a tutorial, it's not comic related perse, but it does teach you a bit about GIMP, which is a free program so none of you have an excuse not to draw comics.
    DeviantArt Account

I made a custom-editable speech bubble tutorial. Can I donate it?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9900/tutorial5dt.png (Custom Speech Bubble Tutorial)

Stanley's Trainer Card Request Shoppie

A fired up trainer card wouldn't hurt. (No. I don't make the ones in the tc link.)

My Sprites | Trainer Cards | Website | E-Mail Me | XIII Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    I made a custom-editable speech bubble tutorial. Can I donate it?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9900/tutorial5dt.png (Custom Speech Bubble Tutorial)
    Similar to mine, but still different in a way.

Anyways, i'm going to start on a how to make a sprite comic in Photoshop tutorial after I finish my submission for the 5th comic contest.

I don't use MS paint or photoshop, can someone give me a tutorial on how to use Jasc paintshop pro? In specific, I need to know how copy&paste works if I want the background that the overworld already has. If this is spammy, I'll just delete this post. Thanks if its possible.

Such as a "Paste---Transparent selection" Would that work? It doesn't for me. My old comics were all freaky, and poor, so I need to learn how to do this.
    Last edited by Deoxys Prime; 11th April 2006 at 9:38 PM.
    Infrequent user. Drop me a PM if you'd like to speak with me for whatever reason.

Before you ask, no, I am not DeoxysPrime from YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxys Prime
    I don't use MS paint or photoshop, can someone give me a tutorial on how to use Jasc paintshop pro? In specific, I need to know how copy&paste works if I want the background that the overworld already has. If this is spammy, I'll just delete this post. Thanks if its possible.

Such as a "Paste---Transparent selection" Would that work? It doesn't for me. My old comics were all freaky, and poor, so I need to learn how to do this.
    Devil G does a bit of comic work in that program... He might have a little knowledge about it.
    DeviantArt Account

I added a tutorial, it's not comic related perse, but it does teach you a bit about GIMP, which is a free program so none of you have an excuse not to draw comics.
    I can't view that tutorial could you like make another link or something?
    I dunno whats wrong it just wont connect to it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast